The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best time of the day to record a vocalist
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Best time of the day to record a vocalist

Let me know what everyone finds is the best time of the day to record lead vocals. Morning, Afternoon, night? I'm finding that the vocals I have been recording later in the day with the vocalist I'm working with now are much better than if he just woke up like an hour or 2 before. Chime in...Would like to have the perspective...
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneroses6300 View Post
Let me know what everyone finds is the best time of the day to record lead vocals. Morning, Afternoon, night? I'm finding that the vocals I have been recording later in the day with the vocalist I'm working with now are much better than if he just woke up like an hour or 2 before. Chime in...Would like to have the perspective...
They should be up from sleep at least 4 hours, and eat a meal no closer than 1 hour before recording.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Just finished the pre-production process with a band that has LOTS of vocals, harmonies, oohs' and ahhs', ect. 2 main singers, and 2 back-up. We never really even attempted at doing any vocals till about 4-5 p.m. or so.

Quote:
eat a meal no closer than 1 hour before recording
+1
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

It's different from singer to singer, however most of them like to "wake up & warm up" a little.

A real pro should be able to nail it whenever, though..

Another thing I find varies a lot is food. Some need to eat before singing some definitely not.
Old 17th July 2007
You should definitely talk with the singer(s) and find out what time of day they are used to singing as a part of their normal routine; i.e. the band's rehearsal time, vocal lesson time, etc. This generally helps with both the physical and mental preparation aspects of tracking vocals.

A good night's rest and ample hydration (starting at least 3-4 hours prior to the session) as well as a good diet and healthy habits never hurt anyone either.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Maniac

But if you need a good deep bass voice, get him in as soon as he has a chance to wake up!
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizz View Post
But if you need a good deep bass voice, get him in as soon as he has a chance to wake up!
+ 3 gazillions!!!!
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Ive found if the SInger does a lot of live gigs then later at night works best

Also also a lot depends on a songs sentiment Ive had a singer perform when they
were totally kanckered and didn't care anymore.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Isn't what happened to a person during the day or what they did, at all relative.

I vote late morning, early afternoon.
Metal? After 10pm.
Pop Country? After 9am
Radio Pop? After 4pm
Jazz? Whenever it's the right time......
Electronic/Techno Music? doesn't matter. Use samples.
Voice Over? When the director pays you up front.. around Noon

late
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Curious what your reasoning is for putting pop country at 9am and pop/rock metal after 4 pm...Of course these numbers are all relative...but why the morning for pop country and not the rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdrecordings View Post
Isn't what happened to a person during the day or what they did, at all relative.

I vote late morning, early afternoon.
Metal? After 10pm.
Pop Country? After 9am
Radio Pop? After 4pm
Jazz? Whenever it's the right time......
Electronic/Techno Music? doesn't matter. Use samples.
Voice Over? When the director pays you up front.. around Noon

late
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Any time the singer wants to record. They usually know their instrument better than I do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search