The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wanna Build Some Monitors.. Studio Monitors
Old 22nd July 2007
Lives for gear

Ok. I`ll go private...

If I come up with something decent, I`ll post it so everyone can see it.

I`ve been reading some stuff about crossover design. It seems that passive crossovers aren`t a good choice. I`ll keep reading on it.
Old 22nd July 2007
Gear Maniac

At the end the most common thing seems to be JBL / TAD.

That's what phillip newell uses for its mains... and they're quite impressive!
Old 22nd July 2007
Lives for gear

I don`t know yet wich components I`ll choose. My main concern is being able to design a FULL range speaker with a pretty damn fast transcient response.

It`s obvious that a full range speaker will only work properly in a large room. And the speaker it self will be pretty massive also.

And if I go for an active crossover choice, I`ll have to deal with a reasonable amount of power amps per channel (3, maybe 4).

The advantage is that I`ll have full control on every component I choose. Wich is awesome.
Old 22nd July 2007
Airwindows

I'm working on something too, but it's not exactly fullrange mains. I've taken some 8" full range drivers and built them into my console in some empty rack spaces, and was very surprised to find that they produced extremely deep bass. The console isn't even a sealed box. I'm working on some floorstanding self-powered speakers using similar 8" drivers- rather than covering the range of big studio mains, they're going to be sort of 'broader Auratones' with the same capacity for conveying the texture of the music.

That's mainly because I can't mix on truly hi-fi speakers, I can only mix on single-driver. Since there might be other people out there like me, I'm going to see what I can do with this concept. It ought to also please certain sorts of audiophiles- I'll be sort of making the 'T-Amp' of Lowther/SET type sound. In fact I intend to use the same Tripath chip
Old 22nd July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I can only mix on single-driver. Since there might be other people out there like me...
There's one, anyway. I started out by throwing together some ho-made "Aura-clones" using 5" Fostex drivers and 1/2" particle board. They were better than real Auras or Avantones, and cost under $100. And designed with the same amount of science -- none.

So I got to wondering what would happen if you used the same sort of driver in a box using Thiele-Small math -- and while you're at it, make the box as narrow as an Auratone, and make the driver be ear-height? The result, using 4" Fostex drivers, is about 5 1/2" W X 9" H X 12" D and flat down to about 100hz. I'm powering them with a Bryston 2B and I love them.

Next I'm going to build a pair with 6 1/2" drivers that should go down to 50hz or so.

If you haven't already, check this out: http://fullrangedriver.com/gallery/
Old 22nd July 2007
Lives for gear

For 'single driver' near field monitoring why ot try a vertical line array of 3 or 4 Jordan drivers?
I think the site is www.ejjordan.co.uk

nandoanalog: I've sent you an email via gearslutz, hope it got there ok!
Old 23rd July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post

nandoanalog: I've sent you an email via gearslutz, hope it got there ok!
Got it.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Head

Hi O.F.F.

I'd be really interested to hear more about how your PMC XB2 inspired subs have come out and how you went about getting your design together. I've been thinking of trying something similar using the Volt RV3143 but I don't know a great deal about it.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I built some main monitors a while back and documented my story, may be of some help to you. It was fun, I learned a lot doing it and everybody who hears them think they sound amazing! I plan to get a DeQx crossover next year to replace the Beringher unit I currently use.

Ted's Main Monitor Build
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Hi Ted,

Yes I came across that thread the other day and it was definitely a good read. I'm particularly interested in transmission line speakers but that does seem to be a hugely complicated area of design so it would be quite risky. Did you consider going down that road at all?

The thought of buying essentially the same drivers as a pair of 6k PMC speakers for £1,500 is very tempting!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Before you spend any money look long and hard at the design you're doing. There is more info on line than you'll know what to do with and I suggest spending the time to investigate.

Check out diyaudio.com, diyhifi.org, speakerbuilder.com. and lots of others.

As far as calculators; there are many of them on line, but, they aren't all inclusive. None of them are going to give you a cookbook speaker so be prepared to tweak for an extended period.

With that said. Go for it. I've built a number of speakers over the years and have always been happy with the results even if they weren't the best. Start by looking at designs posted on line or at Madisound, parts express, etc.

For cabinets; I go to a local cabinet shop and have them made, I then use laminate on the speakers to save on finishing work. Some of the laminates look pretty nice and you can pick whatever you want. The last large set I built was a 3 way; 4 ft x 1 ft x 2 ft. The boxes cost me $150.

At present I'm finishing up a 2 way for use in a smaller room using a series crossover. I spent 1 month putting them together and I'm figuring another 3 months tweaking the crossovers. A reason for looking at designs already posted. You may not want to spend months tweaking.
Mike
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for the advice Mike. I think the actual design of a transmission line is definitely beyond me but I've been talking to a guy at Wilmslow Audio (the same people who helped with Ted's design) who says they can supply a design for this. The problem is that there is no way of listening to them until they are built and paid for -I can listen to the same drivers in a ported box but not a t/l so there is a degree of gambling involved!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Jamie, good move talking to Wilmslow Audio. They are a great bunch of guys who have been designing, building and selling DIY speaker kits for many many years. The cabs probably took me 20-25 hours to make so you could make some TL and ported cabs in 40-50 hours and then choose which ones you like best

I'm sure someone would give you what you paid for the empty cabinets that lose the listening tests on eBay, who knows maybe a little more as you will have done all the work!

Spend as much time as you possibly can as they will probably last you until you retire from this game. I'm hoping mine will last me 30 years maybe with a few improvements in crossover and amps over the years as revolutionary products like the Deqx come out for example.
Old 17th January 2008
Here for the gear

hi guys,
I have actually a project of fullrange monitors, I not have a lot of money so I plan to buy some fostex FE206E and FT17H tweeters. But I have a question on the cone, on this model the cone is made of banana plant's fiber... but what's the difference between the different cones? I heard bad echoes on kevlar cones, can't help me on this point??

thanks
Old 26th March 2008
Gear Addict

Hate to bump an old thread, but I see there is some interested people, and I am in the process, so...

As far as enclosure design and crossover design, these will be the 2 hardest things to get right, and what will make or break your studio reference monitors. Fortunately, there are DIY places like Madisound Speaker Components, Inc. that has very nice software (LEAP-5 by LinearX, Google it...) to calculate, test, and tune for you. They will design specs for your enclosure specifically for the drivers you are using, and then design a crossover for that exact setup. That will get you in the ballpark and save you a lot of time, money, and destructive tantrums.

They also have a pre-designed studio reference monitor kit that they have taken the guesswork out of. All you have to do is put it together. The specs on it are very impressive, to say the least.

Check it here:
Vifa Studio Monitor Kit from Madisound Speaker Components, Inc.

The drivers I plan on using are:

Vifa XT25TG30 dual concentric diaphragm dome tweeter

Scan-speak 18W/4531G-00 Revelator 7"

Seas passive radiator

I will let the pros at Madisound design the enclosure, and then I will build it to specs. As far as the crossover, they will either send you the schematics for it, or actually build it for you, if you are not handy with the soldering gun.

The more I look at monitors in the $1,000 - $3,000 range, the more I think I will be better off building my own...

I am still undecided on an amp, but I've been told that when you start using these very high end audiophile speakers, the amp makes a difference, as the speakers will point out problems with cheap amps as well as bad mixes!

Once I start receiving parts in the mail and actually begin the building process, I'll start a new thread with a bunch of pictures and such...
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

Dont mean to hijack, but anyone got any ideas / starting points for some cheapish Aurotone-like single driver monitors - maybe 6'' or so - dont want them to be too big but need a little bass ( say 80Hz-12k ) ??
Old 27th March 2008
LINKWITZ IS THE MAN..

check out the ORIONS HERE...

my friend and i have each built a pair w/some mods.....frikkin' awesome...

good luck.
Old 27th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
Dont mean to hijack, but anyone got any ideas / starting points for some cheapish Aurotone-like single driver monitors - maybe 6'' or so - dont want them to be too big but need a little bass ( say 80Hz-12k ) ??
Madisound Speaker Components, Inc.
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

I'm a bit late to the party but here are my DLTL Monitors (Down Low Transmission Line; Passive, very small footprint - 11.5cm square/approx 50cm tall; Vifa drivers; mid-bass recently upgraded from the one shown; tweeter time/phase-aligned using a recessed waveguide; solid wood baffle physically decoupled from speaker cabinet to reduce mechanical resonances):

My next speaker build will be MK2 version of the DLTL. The planned changes include:
- using Foster 10RG11 (precursor to the venerable Fostex FE103 - but lower power handling and alnico magnet) fullrange drivers (modded - cone stiffened up for more bass extension, basket damped for less resonance and custom phase plugs for better overlap with the supertweeter) + a bypassable supertweeter ( haven't decided which to use - narrowed it down to either foster or Coral domes)
- baffle step effect compensation using an identical rear-firing driver (bypassable in case the speakers are positioned up against a wall or corner)
- F-selectable and bypassable 1st order crossover (I use solen parts)
- all solid wood (poplar) construction

Here's a pic of me trying out one of the modded Fosters in a DLTL MK1 cab:

My Mom and GF are fighting over who gets to buy the DLTL MK1s from me when I finish the MK2s heh

Duckoff, for a small single driver monitor check out the Foster fullrange product offering and 1/4 wave cabinet designs (Transmission Lines and Tapered Quarter Wave Tubes). Some good places to start:

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Transmission Line Speakers
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

thanks guys
Old 28th March 2008
500 series nutjob

cool!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search