The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pre's with SPDIF out???
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Head

Pre's with SPDIF out???

Hey people. Im looking to utilise the SPDIF input on my 002. Ive been using RME FF800 for conversion so the 8 ADAT ins are being used. I need 2 nice pre's (with SPDIF out) to complement my two Calrec strips and Neotek strips.

Any suggestions?.. Or do none of the nicer pre's offer DECENT conversion? Price range would be round the $2k mark.

Cheerzzz!
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

API A2D all the way. Resist any temptation to look at DBX or Behringer.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Apogee MINIME. An underrated pre with top quality conversion.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Addict

Grace Lunatec V3 is another one to consider. Probably the cleanest signal of those mentioned so far.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Grace Lunatec V3
+1. great preamp with really good conversion. Also has two AES/EBU outputs. For some reason if your using the analog outputs you can't use as much gain as with the digital outputs. Quality unit though. I'd love two (4 channels) is a rack unit.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Head

Joemeek TwinQ
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
Joemeek TwinQ
Seconded. I have one, excellent unit, pretty powerful onboard functions as well
Old 17th July 2007
Track one

Check out the SPL TRACK ONE, it has an option card that allows you a digital output from the micpre via SPDIF. It also has a secondary TRS input to access the other channel with a line level signal.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
check it out<o:p></o:p>
http://www.soundperformancelab.com/trackone/in_short.html<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
peace <o:p></o:p>
mixwell<o:p></o:p>
Old 17th July 2007
I have the Meek and like it, but a Focusrite ISA428 with digi card is a great way to go. My meek sees far less work. I actually run several other pres into the AD inputs of the 428 to get to digital. Very nice to be able to do 4 great preamps and 4 additional converters in 2 rack spaces.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

amek DMCL
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

THe Aphex 1100 has an AES/EBU out which is the same protocol as SPDIF, and I've had sucess using some interconects to go into the SPIDIF on my layla. It's also a great sounding pre.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Addict

another +1 for the Grace Design Lunatec V3. Great pre with great conversion. Im using it for just the pre now with a Rosetta 200. very nice...
Old 18th July 2007
Gear Maniac

another vote for api a2d geat pre plus heh heh excelent converter
Old 18th July 2007
So, this is a very noobie question, but I would like it explained. How does SPDIF in/out on the Digi002 work/what's it's function? Does it pretty much function the same as a line/instrument in? Parabola also mentioned ADAT ins, which I'm assuming are the line/instrument input? Someone explained to me how to use the SPDIF feature when I bought the unit but I kind of forgot .

And, if someone feels like explain it, this is going to make me look REALLY stupid, but what is conversion? I'm assuming it's taking a ProTools file and mixing it down, but I'd feel more stupid if that's not what it is and I thought it was. What is the advantage of using a converter, and what are some popular examples of them?
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

You could get a pair of used Focusrite ISA220's- two can share one digital card via a pass through for the AD.
The pre is clean, the eq is surgical and the compressor is a bit of a non-event.
Old 18th July 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll View Post
amek DMCL
BAM!!!

Any one had experience with this unit? Very colourfull pre??
Old 18th July 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames View Post
So, this is a very noobie question, but I would like it explained. How does SPDIF in/out on the Digi002 work/what's it's function? Does it pretty much function the same as a line/instrument in? Parabola also mentioned ADAT ins, which I'm assuming are the line/instrument input? Someone explained to me how to use the SPDIF feature when I bought the unit but I kind of forgot .

And, if someone feels like explain it, this is going to make me look REALLY stupid, but what is conversion? I'm assuming it's taking a ProTools file and mixing it down, but I'd feel more stupid if that's not what it is and I thought it was. What is the advantage of using a converter, and what are some popular examples of them?
Hey duder!

Well to put it simply, SPDIF is another way of transferring a digital signal from one unit to the next. SPDIF uses a coaxial cable (digital). Other forms of digital transferal would be AES/EBU (XLR) and ADAT (optical). The 002 has 8 analog ins (mic & line ins). 8 ADAT ins and a SPDIF in (which can be a stereo or dual mono signal). Seing as I use all my mic/line ins & my ADAT ins, SPDIF is the only input I have available on the 002.

Conversion is when the analog signal coming in from your mic through your preamp is CONVERTED to digital so it can be sent into your computer. The is called "AD" conversion (analog to digital). The quality of converters varies drastically. And the converters in the trusty 002 are far from being anything to rave about. Conversion will also take place when the signal is sent back from the computer or DAW to the monitors so you can hear it. This is called "DA".

Just google it man. Im sure you can get a much more accurate description than I can give.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search