The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ settings for...........
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

EQ settings for...........

Does anybody have any good EQ settings that they usually use for Shakers and tambourines???
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Twist the knobs till it sounds right.
Old 17th July 2007
Distortion will make them fat. Overlaod something and rool off the highs a little.

It's not appropriate for everything, but it's a cool sound and can cut down on the tickiness.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Well Heathen is pretty much right but there are some guidlines. I like to give those things air so they sit right. Kind of depends on the music too.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear
In my experience, when trying to get a shaker or tambourine to sit right in the mix, reverb is a much bigger element, or as big at least as eq.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

I'd have to hear it, and the track

Old 17th July 2007
Gear Addict

Use the best microphones and place them till it sounds right!!
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

-HP filter, get rid of everything below 2-500hz (adjust to taste), especially if there are drums in the equation too. I quite often find an LPF or high shelf useful in bringing down 6-10khz, to give the cymbals space and really focus on the percussions fundamentals.

-Drive the pre a bit and compress. Compress lightly when tracking then gonuts when mixing. The key to using compressors on percussion is in the attack setting.
Quick attack will balance it out, slower will let you maintain transients.

-Reverb- It never ceases to amaze me how I can have a LOT of verb on percussion and only hear it when I hit stop and catch the tail. It's quite nice to tune the pre-delay to an 8th or 16th derision if you can.

-Level/referencing- percussion level sounds vastly different depending on the system, in my experience. Obviously, cross checking on different systems is a must, but I usually air on the side of caution with levels.
If you automate it so that you bring it out (up) in certain parts, it tunes your ear into it and makes it stay in the psyche.

And of course;

More Cowbell.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Guru

I know a trick question when I see one. Shakers don't play tambourines.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

I try to find the lowest fundamental of the tambourine, the precussive whack... and I may boost or cut that depending on what is needed, and anything below that I'll roll-off or shelf. I won't usually add any high end (agin, depending on the song) but this is one place whre Tape plug-ins kinda work well (regardless if it sounds like tape or not), I saturate it until it's not harsh but still sparkles in the background. Whatever verb I'm using for the drums or the vocal may get used.

Boost the low end was the biggest revelation for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search