The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
guitar on "sweet surrender"/Sarah McLachlan
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Addict

guitar on "sweet surrender"/Sarah McLachlan

anyone know how this was done? you know the one I mean, starts off pulsating at the top of the song and continues on. Sounds almost like when you turn the guitar off and on w/the toggle switch, but it sounds like the notes and chords are being struck too often for that to be the case...the various feedback frequencies coming in and out are cool too...anyway a great sound and well done on the live version as well.
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Sweet Surrender does have some awesome guitar tones/playing on it. There's also some phenomenal vocals & backing vocals. I love that song.

As far as how they're getting 'that' sound, the guitarist could be using a kill switch while playing/feeding back.
Old 18th July 2007
Gear Addict

anyone know of any particularly good article/s and/or interviews w/the producer, engineer/s, or other key players involved in Surfacing?

as a side note, wasn't Sarah's relationship w/Pierre Marchand falling apart during the recording of that record?
Old 18th July 2007
Gear Addict

well, I answered my own question, at least partially....this quote from www.soundonsound.com

> Another example of this can be found on the track 'Sweet Surrender', from the Surfacing album. The rhythmic sound at the beginning, which resembles a hooting car, is actually bassist Brian Minato going haywire with feedback on an electric guitar. Marchand: "I asked him to put the amp at 11 and just go for it. He learnt the chords as he went along, and he filled the track up with feedback. Later I went through it in the RADAR, found bits of feedback that fitted with the chords, and put them in places that worked. I then created a rhythm using the mutes on the Helios, and to get this idea perfectly in rhythm I programmed the sequencer, and keyed a noise gate with it."<

still doesn't explain how it was done on Mirrorball though...
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know for sure but Peirre Marchand is IMO a very cool producer...I don't hear him mentioned much on here.
Old 19th July 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
I don't know for sure but Peirre Marchand is IMO a very cool producer...I don't hear him mentioned much on here.
got to agree w/that...
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Listened to the song again today. I don't see why you couldn't get that guitar sound by just using a volume pedal (for swells) and a tap/midi sync'd delay.
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Addict

I don't see why, either...just hoping to hear from someone who was actually there (for Mirrorball...obviously the question has been answered for Surfacing)
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

good thread

The hairs..... on my neck....

Mirorball version is ridiculas..
the whole guitar part is unreal. amazing.
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

EH-16 second delay/looper
Old 21st July 2007
Gear Addict

well the studio version was explained by Marchand already, so I guess you're talking about the Mirrorball performance? I'm just not hearing the EH delay...for one thing, it's in synch with a live drummer. I'm inclined to go with the kill switch idea (on the guitar or on the floor) as I watched video of the Black Crowes doing a song in which Rich Robinson plays the entire song with the switch on his Les Paul and the effect was similar in some ways. No problem keeping it locked that way...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search