The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HP4 makes monitors "ears-bleeding" Loud
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

HP4 makes monitors "ears-bleeding" Loud

I am using an HP4 to control the volume of my monitors, but the problem is, if I turn the volume knob more than 3 centimeters counter clockwise, the paintings come off the walls, the fish begin floating on the surface of the water, the windows crack, bomb shelters fill, and power grids collapse in all neighboring areas within a 100 mile radius..

It's loud. pretty useless if I want to adjust the volume at all, the knob almost acts more like an on/off switch, except even in the lowest position, I can still hear the music playing through the speakers...

.....I do not dare crank the knob all the way up, I am absolutely convinced that a thermonuclear detonation will occur.

does anyone else have this issue? Last night I nearly soiled my undergarmets when I accidentally brushed the knob 2 nanometers to the right and played my favorite iron maiden song.
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Addict

Isn't this a headphone amp?
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

it is, but its got monitor ins and outs, and I took multiple peoples suggestions long ago to buy this for the purposes of controling the volume to my monitors....
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

...err why don't you turn down the gain on your amp/speaker inputs?
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
...err why don't you turn down the gain on your amp/speaker inputs?
Yep. I'm pretty sure the monitor gain is a passive attenuation stage, so it is only turning down the volume, not turning it up. Turn down your monitor volumes if necessary.
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

i tried that once but i ended up turning the screw-dial on the back of the speaker down to below half its full rotation, I felt like I might be causing a degradation of the sound coming out of the speaker by turning it that low
Old 16th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEcho View Post
I am using an HP4 to control the volume of my monitors, but the problem is, if I turn the volume knob more than 3 centimeters counter clockwise, the paintings come off the walls, the fish begin floating on the surface of the water, the windows crack, bomb shelters fill, and power grids collapse in all neighboring areas within a 100 mile radius..

It's loud. pretty useless if I want to adjust the volume at all, the knob almost acts more like an on/off switch, except even in the lowest position, I can still hear the music playing through the speakers...

.....I do not dare crank the knob all the way up, I am absolutely convinced that a thermonuclear detonation will occur.

does anyone else have this issue? Last night I nearly soiled my undergarmets when I accidentally brushed the knob 2 nanometers to the right and played my favorite iron maiden song.

There is probably an impedance mismatch between the monitor output of the HP-4 (being +4db) and your monitors inputs (-10). Check the specs of both units .

If this is what happens then you need a convertor to connect balanced pro to unbalanced semi-pro equipment .

Did you check if there is a switch on the back of your speakers for a +4 or -10 operation ?
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

I do not believe there is a switch on the back for that purpose, I am using KRK V6's and they are coming directly out of my HP4, which is being fed directly from my EMU-0404
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEcho View Post
i tried that once but i ended up turning the screw-dial on the back of the speaker down to below half its full rotation, I felt like I might be causing a degradation of the sound coming out of the speaker by turning it that low
I believe that proper gain staging would mean you'd turn the amps all the way up as you mention.

I think the usual culprit wrt blowing drivers is sending them a square wave such as a clipped signal, not sending them too much power.

But if it means you have virtually no control over the level, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

basically I was thinking about getting a passive volume knob for the monitors, like the NHT PVC or something relatively inexpensive that I can adjust the volume with...
Old 29th July 2007
Lives for gear

how does everyone else control their monitor level? does anyone plug their monitors directly into the output of their sound cards? or does everyone have either a mixer or some sort of volume knob?
Old 29th July 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

I've got some HP4s and used then only for the cans, I'll test then with the monitor level o/p and knob tomorrow if I've got a chance. Console does volume duties between i/o box and monitors regularly.

Regards,

jhg
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

i figured out that I just need to adjust the volume from within my dsp software program to control the sensitivity of the volume, the HP4 works fine now.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I have my monitors running through an HP4 right now since I'm waiting on a Coleman switcher and I can't wait to get it out of the chain.. it degrades the audio quite a bit! It definitely is a useful piece for getting headphones really loud and also as a way to get some headphone outs setup across the room (run some cables from the DA to it).
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've got an HP4 and, yeah, it can be crazy loud. I don't use it for monitor output though. Some gain staging probably would be in order. I will say this...that there are certainly better headphone amps out there, but the HP4 is crazy good for the money. I typically use my Oz Audio for sessions, but the HP4 is significantly cleaner, nicer sounding...and louder.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search