The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kick Drums: The latest war
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
A friend and longtime Gearslut mentioned to me that he likes the kick to make your heart skip a beat and the snare to make you squint.
Wow, this is a GREAT description of how i like to feel it too. Granted, i'm a drummer so i like to hear drums up front and i even like the kick as a "lead" instrument when it's doing something interesting. but i like to feel my chest cave in with the kick. i always have since i was 3 or 4 years old.

i mean, in a lot of these modern metal bands the drummer is the best player in the group and those 16th note kicks can be really impressive.

haven't listened to the Dream Theater album in question--i largely tuned out after Awake. but i know mike's pretty active in the mixing process, so him wanting "more kick" wouldn't surprise me. heh

anyway, i don't mind the kick being the loudest thing in a mix. it's more the fact that all the kicks sound the same anymore that i hate. granted sample replacement is part of the genre in metal.......but i really long for hearing what the kick (and the rest of the kit) REALLY sound like rather than hearing the same old boring samples time and again. but that's preaching to the choir.

cheers,
wade
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
wow a prog fan - HELLO2U
hello you too! and far as Sirocco (or any of a number of other Cattaneo/Tonks productions) is concerned, man, I love the massive fat 'n thick sound of that!
Old 17th July 2007
outofphase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSueMe View Post
Something is actually louder and stands out in modern mixes?? I thought everything was the same level!!!!
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161 View Post
what utter nonsense, try some old Jamacaisound 12"s from the 80's and show me bass end lower than that on a rock record today and i'll eat my hat (if i had one)
even genesis' "it's gonna get better" (or whatever that track is called) has fairly bombastic mini-moog bass lowend throughout, and it dates from the vinyl era. i've long suspected that the "vinyl jumping out of the groove" parable is an old wives' tale of the record engineering/production trade, but i welcome the opportunity to be proven wrong (mainly because it seems plausible enough, and would be kind of neat if true).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search