The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fattening Up Drum Loops and Samples?
Old 15th July 2007
Gear Addict

Fattening Up Drum Loops and Samples?

I've read a good amount on this subject. I'm just wondering what other slutz are doing to fatten up their fake drum sounds. Most of the acid-type loops aren't really recorded that well and many of the midi based rhythms (DFH, BFD) seem to lack life.

Any favorite plugs, EQ's, verbs, compressors? Tips, tricks, techniques?
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Addict

bump
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Addict

Are you thinking plugs or hardware?
Old 16th July 2007
i sample my own sounds & picked up some good drum libraries over the years.
solid original tone beats hours of 'fixing' any day of the week. i'll use a cut up gritty loop as a background feel & throw in a nice solid kick snare over the top.
if you like the feel of a sample & the tone just isnt there, line up other sounds in acid(or whatever) & make your own beat based on the groove.
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermind View Post
Any favorite plugs, EQ's, verbs, compressors? Tips, tricks, techniques?
Send the whole loop, not the single hits, through whatever you can think of at the moment.
It's not what kind of glue you use on them that counts, it's using the same glue on everything that gives it that integrity.
At the moment I'm experimenting a lot with reamping.
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcofan View Post
Are you thinking plugs or hardware?
Either, actually. Plugs are a bit more accessable for me because I have a better plug library than I do a hardware collection. But I am interested in seeing what hardware people are using..

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp
Send the whole loop, not the single hits, through whatever you can think of at the moment.
It's not what kind of glue you use on them that counts, it's using the same glue on everything that gives it that integrity.
At the moment I'm experimenting a lot with reamping.
Yeah I am sending the whole loop.

Basically, once I'm done programming or arranging the whole drum track from beginning to end, I'm looking to fatten it up. I will often turn the drum mixdown into real audio and then process it from there. It usually goes back into the DAW project with plug-in inserts and sends. I'm just curious to see what others do, and what favorite effects they like to use..
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Additive compression really takes my loops into the "even drummers are fooled" realm.

Massey Tapehead has also helped.

Layering the kick & snare samples is pretty much a must in most cases.

Try parallel compression.

-Eric Vincent @ Studio Curve Dominant
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

I don't do a whole lot of drum samples... But we were tracking a new song a few months ago. We were tracking to 2", so the drum loop was the first thing to hit tape on that song... And it sounded way cooler playing back of tape than it did coming out of the computer...

I'm sure bouncing your loops to tape, then back to digital might fatten it up quite a bit... Especially if you take the loop into like a dw fearn line pad and give it some more gain and slam the tape pretty hard
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Guru

fatso --> tape (456 for thickness, 499 for punch, 203 for old school)

that combo is THE deadliest drum loop processing chain ever. if you can stick a 1084 or an old german eq in there, even better.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

I have a fantasticly cruddy D&R compressor that I bought for about 200 euro a few years ago.

It does wonderous things to drum loops.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Addict

Already mentioned: Parallel compression and compressing the whole kit as one are good suggestions.

Before that I'd start with at least a very subtle convolution room (or a speaker and a 57 in your laundry room if your mousing hand is sore) that all the samples feed somewhat. Get some common reality.
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Maniac

sure. I use both DFH custom vintage and occasional lofi loops. I"m amazed at what the PSP Vintage Warmer (plugin) can do to give them life. at first it's everyones tendency to go overboard with it. but as you learn to use it judiciously, it will pay off big time.

I think thats PSPaudioware.com
Old 17th July 2007
Dub in some real drums.

Warning: those may make your fake one's sound cheasy!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search