The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Basic dimensions
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Basic dimensions

I was wondering if anybody knew what the basic dimensions of these rooms would be?

Also, how much distance between the outside and inside walls? I am looking at starting a new build and like this layout the best, so if anybody has some suggestions as to sizes for correct room modes etc. It would be appreciated. Drawing from this site -> Here under "Studio Plans"

Attached Thumbnails
Basic dimensions-cornerplan.gif  
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. torture View Post
suggestions as to sizes for correct room modes etc.
It doesn't matter what exact sizes THAT plan are, scale it to your available space. Room modes are about room ratios, not exact measurements.

On wall thickness: the thicker the better. (altough you'll benefit more from thicker wall partitions than from more space between the walls).

Buy a book like the one from Rod Gervais or read on forums like johnlsayers.com or forum.studiotips.com on this subject.

Herwig
Old 15th July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
if anybody has some suggestions as to sizes for correct room modes etc. It would be appreciated.
If you can manage rooms with those shapes that's great. As Herwig said, you can scale the dimensions to maintain the ratio. But don't think you can scale them to be very small. Having size that's large enough is as important as having good ratios.

This mode calculator on my company's site can help, but mostly if your room will be more of a plain rectangle:

RealTraps - ModeCalc

Either way, the accompanying text on that page explains a lot about this.

--Ethan
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
If you can manage rooms with those shapes that's great. As Herwig said, you can scale the dimensions to maintain the ratio. But don't think you can scale them to be very small. Having size that's large enough is as important as having good ratios.

This mode calculator on my company's site can help, but mostly if your room will be more of a plain rectangle:

RealTraps - ModeCalc

Either way, the accompanying text on that page explains a lot about this.

--Ethan
Thanks Ethan, I read your site all the time. You have a vast understanding of acoustics and I appreciate your reply. I can build the rooms just as they are shown, along with 12' + ceilings.

If the rooms are shaped like those, how can I determine the best sizes to control modes and maintain good acoustical properties?

I guess bigger is better?
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
If the rooms are shaped like those, how can I determine the best sizes to control modes and maintain good acoustical properties? I guess bigger is better?
Yes, bigger is better (to a point), and just as important is to understand that even the most wonderfully proportioned room still needs as much bass trapping as possible. All "good" dimensions give you is a better starting point, so the bass traps don't have to work so hard, so to speak.

--Ethan
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

RealTraps - ModeCalc

--Ethan

thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search