The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is needed to use an outboard pedal? Analog Processors (HW)
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

What is needed to use an outboard pedal?

I want to use an effects pedal for a track in a song I am doing, do I just route the audio track to one of my outs, then plug that output into the pedal of choice, then the output of that pedal into the input of my soundcard and then set another track (or the same track I guess) to record from that input?

I have heard of AD/DA converters being an issue but I dont know how this ties in to what I want to do...

if I dont have the cash for nice converters should I just stick to digital FX?
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

You'll need a reamp box to get the proper level.
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

ok, but thats it? regardless of what kind of instrument I am using, I plug the cable from my interface output to the reamp box input then from the reamp box output into the interfaces input?
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

The line output of your interface will likely be too hot for the fx box. so you'll
need to knock down what's sent to it. Then you'll need to amp up the signal back to line level. The fx boxes expect a pretty high impedance and low level source (guitar). I would imagine S/N ratio would be degraded in the process.

Iv'e not tried this so the above may be mis-information, but I did once try to put a guitar fx into a +4 fx send/return on a board with dismal results (and no make up amp).

:Ron
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Addict

I recently ran a guitar track directly out of the box, into one channel of a Manley EQ, into a Summit TLA-50, and then into a Boss DD-6 delay without any problems, and without using a reamp box.

There was no noise, and no distortion to speak of either. Try it and see if it works for you

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Pedals seem to take all sorts of levels....

Just try with a very low level coming out of your box (interface) and slowly go up.

seeing pedals are designed for very lo signals from a guitar, signal to noise is not an issue because what you throw at it is much higher than the noise to start with and if you amplify the signal that comes back into your computer
it is relatively noise free.

Anyway your wanting to use a pedal to dirty things up a bit anyway Yes?
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Little Labs PCP thumbsup

or use a Redeye to convert from Line Level to instrument level.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search