The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying a Studio... cost vs reality
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtop View Post
I want some of the crack you've been smokin'.

$100.00 - $150.00 an hour ?

Man that was funny.

Have you even been to a studio lately.

I can get a pro studio in Seattle with a huge Neve, API's nice rooms, massive nice mics, 4 racks of primo outboard, boutigue tube comp, limiters, pre's, Big Adams,
and mass other stuff, too much to mention that just did a platinum record.
$200.00 for a half day (6 hours)
$300.00 for a full day (12 hours)

****, I can get Albini for less than you want.

You need to re-think your plan.
It all depends on what he's selling. If he's pushng his gear, you're probably right. The days of profitable landlord studios is past. If, OTOH, he's selling his services, it seems reasonable. I get $125 for commecial/industrial projects (which explains why I'm doing so much less $65/hr band work) and we're booked pretty tight- two video post rooms, a shooting space and an audio room. When we're all cranking we're bringing in around $375 an hour and we're still not getting rich. Between the mortgage, the equipment loans, the property taxes, utilities, payroll, freelancers, receptionist, accountant, lawyer and coffee it aint cheap to keep a commercial facility open. If I rented my whole audio suite out for $300 a day I'd be out of business in short order, and I don't have a quarter of the laundry list your pro studio in Seattle has.
Old 16th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
It all depends on what he's selling........$300 a day I'd be out of business in short order, and I don't have a quarter of the laundry list your pro studio in Seattle has.
Thanks for your addition for defense of my position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Critical
I want some of the crack you've been smokin'.
$100.00 - $150.00 an hour ? Man that was funny. Have you even been to a studio lately...... You need to re-think your plan.
Your view of a "studio" seems limited. I imagine you spend most of your time in "the studio" recording bands that hope to land a record deal.

In one word.... antiquated. The old studio model is dieing or already dead. Hence my gear choices and buisness plan; less analog, NO BANDS!

I'm sorry you have such anger and frustration regarding your relaties of studio rates. Write some music and sell it. Find better clients.

Don't piss on me... my world is obviously not yours. Best example... I would NEVER consider investing the 220k in a large NEVE. Talk about smoking crack. Only the best should have those.
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Head

Good on you man for being able to cammand that kinda money,
but your a video place,.... apples and oranges.

Very few young guys are even able to get into pro audio recording, we are at a turning point in the industry, it'll take a while, but people will realize that owning
gear, does not make you a good engineer,
It takes many years of constantly doing it to get good.
After a few years you think your great.
After a couple decades you realize it's a psychological/political/scientific/art/customer service hodgepodge

with people skills probably being the most important.

You can have the greatest gear and be possibly be the best engineer in the world
with the greatest hearing of all.

But if your a dick, nobody cares how good you are, and will probably not want to work with you.

Because in this field it's hard to quantify who's the best.

I know alot of cats that know how to work gear and TALK gear but can't mix for ****. I cannot teach you how to hear.

Interpreting what needs to happen with what you hear is where the rubber meets
the road.

Sometimes it's a treble boost to make it brighter
Sometimes it's a low cut to make it brighter

Which is right?
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenovice View Post
Thanks for your addition for defense of my position.

Your view of a "studio" seems limited. I imagine you spend most of your time in "the studio" recording bands that hope to land a record deal.

In one word.... antiquated. The old studio model is dieing or already dead. Hence my gear choices and buisness plan; less analog, NO BANDS!

I'm sorry you have such anger and frustration regarding your relaties of studio rates. Write some music and sell it. Find better clients.

Don't piss on me... my world is obviously not yours. Best example... I would NEVER consider investing the 220k in a large NEVE. Talk about smoking crack. Only the best should have those.
First Off Little fella.

You have a ****ty tone in your voice.

I took the time to give you my honest opinion.

You say I'm pissing on you.

Frustrated? possibly.
Anger. no.

You are going to have a studio with NO bands.

AND a ****ty attitude.

Good luck with that.

Lovingly
archtop
Old 16th July 2007
Quote:
Good on you man for being able to cammand that kinda money,
but your a video place,.... apples and oranges.
Then why do you call me a "crackhead" if you don't know my market?

Quote:
You have a ****ty tone in your voice.
You called me a crackhead! W.T.F. You say I have a ****ty tone? W.T.F?

Quote:
But if your a dick, nobody cares how good you are, and will probably not want to work with you.
Take some of your own advice and maybe you can get some better rates. After all... people don't want to work with a dick.

Quote:
I took the time to give you my honest opinion
Do us both a favor... don't waste any more of your time on me.
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Head

Yes Sir
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

i've learned : recording bands doesn't pay, writing music and scores does !

about the gear : good choice ! manley, apogee, lynx, nuendo, grace, mics ...
i would go bigger on the speakers (8040, 8050, 1031 & good sub)
the acoustics of your room is really important
also for sound to picture (in surround) a TC 6000 would be nice
and a big HDTV
if you're gonna run the video inside nuendo get a real powerfull DAW

good luck,
Old 17th July 2007
Motown legend

Quote:
...Would you recommend doing this if my client had hired me to create a 30 sec. radio spot? I can't imagine that would be a good investment of my clients money or my time.t.
Absolutely!

The investment is in your reputation and in exposure to potential clients by getting a buzz going around about your work. Studios often end up sending their steady clients more business.
Old 17th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Absolutely!

The investment is in your reputation and in exposure to potential clients by getting a buzz going around about your work. Studios often end up sending their steady clients more business.
RIGHT ON!!! Now that is a good point.

I like this idea from a business view. It makes sense to spread it around and then take care of the people in your network.

Are your comments about reputation advancement and potential client exposure related to the studios view of me or the clients?
Old 17th July 2007
Motown legend

Quote:
Are your comments about reputation advancement and potential client exposure related to the studios view of me or the clients?
Both. It is a lesson that I learned the hard way when I started using project studios after leaving Motown. Success is all about who knows what you know. You just can't meet very many people in a one man studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search