The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I think I've nailed the reason why I prefer the analog medium
Old 15th July 2007
This is one of the reasons I started summing OTB. Just makes my life that much easier and the mixes that much better. I still have to watch my internal levels, but no more bus or master faders woes.
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
it is my opinion that all the notions out there about digital having massive headroom is correct from a mathematical standpoint, but completely the opposite of helpful when it comes to how things sound.
Just a different way of saying it. When you pull your levels way down, like you're advising, then you have lots of headroom.

-R
Old 15th July 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan View Post
You don't need to add Aux's.
If you select the "All" group and then lower the fader volumes in the Edit Window, all the volumes will come down in relation to each other, including automated assignments. And you can of course do it on individual tracks as well.
they don't change automation assignments for me . they never have. they just change while playback is stopped, then when it starts, it goes back to the normal automation assignment level which is now higher than the other levels.
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
they don't change automation assignments for me . they never have. they just change while playback is stopped, then when it starts, it goes back to the normal automation assignment level which is now higher than the other levels.
That shouldn't happen...
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.
May be you're not choosing the right place of the track to get the volumes down in the Edit Window.
Sometimes if you do that procedure in the middle of the track, only certain regions (of the track) will respond to it.
Try squeezing the song quite a lot so that you see the whole volume automation in front of you, and then do the same thing as far right as you can in the track - that should get ALL the volume levels down in that particular track.
And if you do the same having the "All" group engaged, all the tracks will be affected in the same way.
That's the way it works in Pro Tools.
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan View Post
That shouldn't happen...
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.
May be you're not choosing the right place of the track to get the volumes down in the Edit Window.
Sometimes if you do that procedure in the middle of the track, only certain regions (of the track) will respond to it.
Try squeezing the song quite a lot so that you see the whole volume automation in front of you, and then do the same thing as far right as you can in the track - that should get ALL the volume levels down in that particular track.
And if you do the same having the "All" group engaged, all the tracks will be affected in the same way.
That's the way it works in Pro Tools.
oh, you know what, i didn't realize you said in the edit window. i was talking about pulling down the fader in the mix window, and that's where the problem came about.
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

meglomaniac wrote...

"the problem i always run into with that is if i have one of my tracks automated. i pull them all down, press play, and watch that fader go back to where it was. i then just send that channel to it's own aux, and pull the aux down that much, but by the time it gets to that point, and having to do that a good 3-4 times in a session, it becomes a pain in the ass and i wish there was a better way around it".

Just draw it in the volume automation with the "all" group still selected...works perfect and takes 2 seconds. With the way I set my pre/post fader aux send settings and my bussing I don't have any issues with the mix changing.
Old 16th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattMusiek View Post
I've come to the realization of the number one reason why I prefer the analog medium of recording. I find that when mixing digitally I am constantly struggling to not go in the red. I know leaving proper headroom is the key, but somehow, somewhere, something is always ****in' in the red and near clipping. It's like a bully who you kicked in the nuts when he tried to take your lunch money and he is now threatening to kill you, causing you to
look over your shoulder at all times. I don't like mixing like that! I think I'm just going to start putting a limiter on every single track.

I feel discouraged sometimes because my mixes aren't ultra modern. I suspect this is because even though I can only record and mix digitally, I treat my DAW like it's a tape machine.

To the people who respect my opinion, thanks for reading my post. I know by posting this I am tossing myself into oblivion, and though I will get owned by just about everyone, that's alright.

You are just death right, its just sounds better when you mix analog. And even better it you mix down to analog, if a couple of ch's in the red now and then, dont panic loads of mixes have been like that. if you need inspiration check out; Mark "Spike" Stent.
Old 16th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Which analog consoles are these?

On newer SSL's when you are in the red it sounds like SH*t!!!

On the older SSL's it sounds like a big headache.

Older Neve's have a lot of headroom but when you are in the red there is no 2 track recorder analog or digital in the world that won't distort when you try to record this signal.

On other consoles you may not notice it as much on one channel but you add the distortion together on different channels and your mix will sound small with no bass.

Mixerguy is right.

If you can't get the gain structure right in analog right there is no way you will get it right in digital and vice versa. Remember the ideal setting on a fader is zero. They were designed to blend the signals not change gain structure. That's what the trims on the consoles are for. Its engineering 101.
Yes !!! - the SSL's sounds kind of bad, but they just guide(leads) you in the right direction, even if in the red sometimes. (4000G+ and 5000 is the ones I like, not the J and k 9000 ones) Some/manny of my favorites mixes are done on SSL's even though I myself prefere Neotek and Neve soundvice. Colin Sanders wasen't totaly stupid; sometimes ergonomics are more importent for the final result than "Hi-Fi".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search