The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Both Headphones Outputs of Scarlett 8i6 are in Mono
Old 22nd December 2020
Here for the gear

Both Headphones Outputs of Scarlett 8i6 are in Mono

Recently got a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.

I realized panning left in my DAW (Logic Pro X) didn't change anything, and when panning right the signal disappeared

Thought it was Logic at first, but I tried in Studio One 4 Prime and the same thing happened

Researched, figured it must be my 1/8 to 1/4 adapter as the headphones worked in stereo when connected to my computer's soundcard

However, that same adapter worked in stereo in the headphone out of my 4 track

Tried a different adapter in both headphone outs of the 8i6, still in mono

Focusrite control shows signal being panned from left to right (on the 4 track) when the line outs of my 4 track are connected to inputs 1 + 2 of the 8i6, so the signal is getting there and is being panned, it's just not outputting in stereo

Any ideas? I'm calling Focusrite tomorrow. I really wanted the adapter to be the issue, but the above leads me to believe that the headphone outputs are faulty/not making contact for whatever reason. Any insight is appreciated.

Using Mac OS Catalina 10.5.6, which the 8i6 is compatible with. Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoceros ➡️
Recently got a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.

I realized panning left in my DAW (Logic Pro X) didn't change anything, and when panning right the signal disappeared

Thought it was Logic at first, but I tried in Studio One 4 Prime and the same thing happened

Researched, figured it must be my 1/8 to 1/4 adapter as the headphones worked in stereo when connected to my computer's soundcard

However, that same adapter worked in stereo in the headphone out of my 4 track

Tried a different adapter in both headphone outs of the 8i6, still in mono

Focusrite control shows signal being panned from left to right (on the 4 track) when the line outs of my 4 track are connected to inputs 1 + 2 of the 8i6, so the signal is getting there and is being panned, it's just not outputting in stereo

Any ideas? I'm calling Focusrite tomorrow. I really wanted the adapter to be the issue, but the above leads me to believe that the headphone outputs are faulty/not making contact for whatever reason. Any insight is appreciated.

Using Mac OS Catalina 10.5.6, which the 8i6 is compatible with. Thanks.
The picture of the first one is the one you need or should be using. The second picture is Mono.

Old 22nd December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Yes, it's a TRS stereo adapter. Shoulda mentioned that
Old 22nd December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This kinda happened with a really nice Sangean radio that is, as far as I know, still being sold. It's a stereo FM radio but they apparently put mono headphone jacks in them, so you only got output on one side.

I bought three, from three separate vendors, before giving up.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
The picture of the first one is the one you need or should be using. The second picture is Mono.
I don't mean to sound critical here, and I mean this is the best way possible, but...

Did you really think that this was necessary?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, it's a TRS stereo adapter. Shoulda mentioned that
Not the same interface, but take a look.
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...245-Focusrite-

Control-Tutorial-2-Setting-Custom-Mixes

Headphone 1 shares a routing path with Line Outputs 7 – 8 and Headphone 2 shares a routing path with Line Outputs 9 – 10.
Here for the gear

For the 8i6 Headphone 1 shares Line Outs 1-2 and Headphone 2 shares Line Outs 3-4. I read the manual. It's in stereo.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym ➡️
I don't mean to sound critical here, and I mean this is the best way possible, but...

Did you really think that this was necessary?
You trying to be a smartazz jerk? kind of looks like it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
For the 8i6 Headphone 1 shares Line Outs 1-2 and Headphone 2 shares Line Outs 3-4. I read the manual. It's in stereo.
Anyway, sorry for insulting you....and that "Lame" guy with those pictures. In this link It look like this could be a common issue with Focusrite.

https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengine...ing_back_mono/
Here for the gear

I actually ran across that thread already and figured as much. I'm going to try emailing Focusrite because no one should have to do all of that to get stereo output. Anyway, thanks for trying to rule stuff out. Posting on these forums is always a last resort for me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before emailing Focusrite.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually ran across that thread already and figured as much. I'm going to try emailing Focusrite because no one should have to do all of that to get stereo output. Anyway, thanks for trying to rule stuff out. Posting on these forums is always a last resort for me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before emailing Focusrite.
Do all those adapter feel as though they snap in place? Try this with the phones on...., Pull the adapter outward slowly and see if that does anything. The HP jack could be off set. Same with rubber type adapter, some can overshoot the contacts and some can undershoot.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Do all those adapter feel as though they snap in place? Try this with the phones on...., Pull the adapter outward slowly and see if that does anything. The HP jack could be off set. Same with rubber type adapter, some can overshoot the contacts and some can undershoot.
It's definitely not the adapter, as it works with other devices, and other TRS adapters had the same issue.
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's definitely not the adapter, as it works with other devices, and other TRS adapters had the same issue.
On that interface...does it disconnect your monitors when you plug in the HP's?
Here for the gear

Quote:
On that interface...does it disconnect your monitors when you plug in the HP's?
My monitors aren't hooked up yet.
Lives for gear

Quote:
My monitors aren't hooked up yet.
Heres one more...., but one could do this all day.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Focusrite/c...eadphone_jack/
Here for the gear

Quote:
Heres one more...., but one could do this all day.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Focusrite/c...eadphone_jack/
Yep, saw that one too. Maybe I'll try to get my hands on another adapter, even though I know for sure the two I have work.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, saw that one too. Maybe I'll try to get my hands on another adapter, even though I know for sure the two I have work.
Thats what I was getting at... are they rubber? Reason I ask, is a few years back I'd purchase a dozen cheap plastic TRS patch cables and had an issue of one end being too long and the other too on all, I had to trim the short end which left what I trimmed ended up as an O-ring I had to put on the long end. Crazy. If you have an good TRS cable, put it side by side with those adapters and see if everything lines up perfectly. Also you can try an TRS cable in the HP jack, then touch the 1/8' tip to 1/4" of cable (you'll need to ground the sleeves) then try the 1/8 tip to the ring on the 1/4" (ground sleeves) if you get audio on both T and R of the 1/4"...then it could be the adapter.s
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thats what I was getting at... are they rubber? Reason I ask, is a few years back I'd purchase a dozen cheap plastic TRS patch cables and had an issue of one end being too long and the other too on all, I had to trim the short end which left what I trimmed ended up as an O-ring I had to put on the long end. Crazy. If you have an good TRS cable, put it side by side with those adapters and see if everything lines up perfectly. Also you can try an TRS cable in the HP jack, then touch the 1/8' tip to 1/4" of cable (you'll need to ground the sleeves) then try the 1/8 tip to the ring on the 1/4" (ground sleeves) if you get audio on both T and R of the 1/4"...then it could be the adapter.s
I assume you're talking about the base? One of them is metal and the other is rubber. They seem to line up. I don't know if I have a TRS cable, I'll look around.
Old 22nd December 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There’s a problem with the headphone jack on a scarlett 2i2 I occasionally use where it will occasionally go from stereo to mono. If I exercise the headphone jack I can get it to go back to stereo, but I have to be careful not to bump it or move the cable too much. There’s probably something loose in there.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I assume you're talking about the base? One of them is metal and the other is rubber. They seem to line up. I don't know if I have a TRS cable, I'll look around.
Been reading some screwy stuff on all this. one guy (in windows) had issues until he registered the interface, then windows updated the drivers (which the guy had the latest drivers before) but that update fix his issue.

On those adapters...do either feel like they clip in as normal, or do they feel as though they bottom out on the jack face first? Those jacks are halfazz,,, probably cost them 4 cents.
Old 22nd December 2020
Lives for gear

I know SOME might think this Picture isnt necessary But you can see where Tip and Ring land. Also this is an make or break, thats what I was asking if your monitors disconnected when phones were plugged in... just a loop, this wouldnt have anything to do with your issue, unless this Was that design, it could effect you line out if that HP jack is screwed. (you can check each of those with the HP's..it'll be mono and not very loud, but you'll know you've an signal. And notice the ring is your right side out and if its not lined up or sprung so it can make contact..Well.

Here for the gear

Quote:
Been reading some screwy stuff on all this. one guy (in windows) had issues until he registered the interface, then windows updated the drivers (which the guy had the latest drivers before) but that update fix his issue.

On those adapters...do either feel like they clip in as normal, or do they feel as though they bottom out on the jack face first? Those jacks are halfazz,,, probably cost them 4 cents.
Registering mine was the first thing I did, literally did it two days ago and Focusrite control is the latest version, 3.6.0.

The adapters click into the outputs nicely, and there's nothing that would lead me to believe they aren't in all the way and making improper connections.

Will try the other thing tomorrow. Hopefully by then Focusrite will have gotten back to me as well. Sorry if I already said this, a new post won't go through for me.

Last edited by rhinoceros; 22nd December 2020 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: had to add on
Old 22nd December 2020
Lives for gear

I know you're probably getting tired, wheres one way you should be able to check if the monitor disconnect. first check both your line outs with your HP's, see if both 1 & 2 are working,(if that what you have it set at) then plug the other adapter "alone" into into the HPJ, if that cuts your HP/line out, then you know that much. Some gear will and some wont.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Registering mine was the first thing I did, literally did it two days ago and Focusrite control is the latest version, 3.6.0.

The adapters click into the outputs nicely, and there's nothing that would lead me to believe they aren't in all the way and making improper connections.

Will try the other thing tomorrow. Hopefully by then Focusrite will have gotten back to me as well. Sorry if I already said this, a new post won't go through for me.
Maybe try reinstalling. Could be something got corrupt.
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...cles/206849239
Here for the gear

Quote:
Maybe try reinstalling. Could be something got corrupt.
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...cles/206849239
Will try all this tomorrow and let you know how it works out
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will try all this tomorrow and let you know how it works out
Ok, F-ing Focusrite.
Old 22nd December 2020
Lives for gear

I've an Forte... Somewhere? Never could trust it, so ...it was useless.
Old 22nd December 2020
Gear Nut

I just ran into this exact issue with my 1st gen 18i20. At least the effect was the same, maybe not the cause. Mine uses Mix Control instead of the newer Focusrite Control, but I think they are somewhat similar. I was trying to do some unusual (for me) routing and clicked the wrong buttons. I’d look there first and maybe reset to defaults, it’s easy to get turned around and route things the wrong way.
📝 Reply