The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on planned studio rig? Girardin Console, SSL SiX, Motu 16A, Audiofuse 8pre, + outboard
Old 24th November 2020
Here for the gear
Thoughts on planned studio rig? Girardin Console, SSL SiX, Motu 16A, Audiofuse 8pre, + outboard

Hello! I'm right now writing up an upgrade plan for my home studio to make it more high end and allow me to mix more professionally, as well as record when I want/need to.

So right now I have : Audiofuse 8pre + SSL SiX with some 500 series pres (Neve 511 primarily at the moment, incredible sound!).

I'm wanting to eventually get to a : Girardin C206 desk (I've been in contact with the seller and will go check it out in January) which is custom and recently completely refurbished. This will be paired with a Motu 16A interface which offers 16 line ins and 16 line outs.

Then the audiofuse 8pre will go into the Motu via ADAT and be connected to the SSL SiX which I will use for the great preamps (2 channels) as well as some bus processing of the Girardin on the stereo channels.

The SSL SiX master insert will feed into a SSL Fusion and Tegeler Creme combo for that SSL + Pultec-ish feel.

This rig will be used for mixing, which the SSL SiX is great for but very limited with only 6 channels, as well as my own recording using my external pres as well as the SSL SiX pres and the extra line-ins on the Motu 16A.

My main question is just to check whether anyone has obvious issues or things I should check for that I may have forgotten about. Is there anything missing from the setup?

Will the Audiofuse 8pre be of good enough quality as a converter? Or would it be better to sell it and exchange it for something else?

Let me know if you have any additional thoughts!

Edit: genres I work with : mainly funk/soul and some ambient music, as well as jazz
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Could you post a picture of the gear you have?
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Here is a photo of my setup currently. I've just moved to a new place so am in the process of optimising everything for mostly mixing purposes. https://imgur.com/a/ON3fCiL

Edit: More clarification on the gear : 500 series: some golden age project items which I do not like and am trying to sell, a Neve 511 pre which I really like.

Audio Interface: Arturia Audiofuse 8pre, I like it and will likely keep it as a secondary interface via ADAT once I upgrade to something better.

SSL SiX which I use at the moment for mixing, along with my two Presonus Eris 5XT which sounds really good for their price I think! I'm getting some decent results with this setup and am wanting to take things a step further, which is why I posted here.

Last edited by Max822; 27th November 2020 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: clarification on my gear
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Not clear on how you're planning on using the SSL SiX and the Girardin C206 together. Looks like the C206 is a 10 stereo channel line mixer with aux? Are you thinking of summing with it?
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Not clear on how you're planning on using the SSL SiX and the Girardin C206 together. Looks like the C206 is a 10 stereo channel line mixer with aux? Are you thinking of summing with it?
Yes it will be used for summing. The idea would also be to use the Girardin's aux along with some outboard and the SSL SiX to do some OTB mixing.

I've been trying to see if I can find some good desks around that same price (roughly 1000€) which would also include some better EQ control but I'm having a hard time. I've been looking at the Soundcraft 200 series but I'm not actually sure how good these are.

It could also be worth increasing my price instead of saving up more to get the Tegeler Creme and the SSL Fusion in order to get a more expensive desk? Would you have any recommendations by chance?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max822 View Post
Yes it will be used for summing. The idea would also be to use the Girardin's aux along with some outboard and the SSL SiX to do some OTB mixing.

I've been trying to see if I can find some good desks around that same price (roughly 1000€) which would also include some better EQ control but I'm having a hard time. I've been looking at the Soundcraft 200 series but I'm not actually sure how good these are.

It could also be worth increasing my price instead of saving up more to get the Tegeler Creme and the SSL Fusion in order to get a more expensive desk? Would you have any recommendations by chance?
Same. There was a Crest live console that had inserts and tons of outputs/routing options but it went really quick.

Hard to find a quality 16 channel board built for studio use.
Here for the gear
That Girardin C206 actually looks quite nice for what I am looking for, which is really not to use it for tracking, mostly for summing and mixing with some outboard equipment. I've also found if you are interested for a bit more money the TL Audio tube mixers which seem very cool, especially the smaller VTC desks and the M4 model. They seem like they would be really colourful options and they are not too crazy expensive like the Studers and old Neves, etc.
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thanks for posting the picture. GS sometimes gets first time posters who pretend to have high end gear and waste everyone’s time with questions about gear they will never own.
That’s not you.
You are getting good advice from people who know the area you reference. Other than sharing your opinion of early Golden Age gear (which I’ve sold), my gear and methods don’t overlap with yours enough that I can contribute to the thread. Be well!
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Ya that makes sense... No problem! Thanks for the help. I am indeed planning to own the gear I talk about. Just right now in the process of upgrading my studio piece by piece.

I am trying to sell my GA gear but no one seems to want it where I am. I'll post them on reverb if they don't sell in the next few weeks.

Thank you anyways for your advice and your comments. Be well as well!
Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max822 View Post
Let me know if you have any additional thoughts!

Edit: genres I work with : mainly funk/soul and some ambient music, as well as jazz
I have the 16A. I noticed your setup, some synths too, that’s a nice project studio setup with a potentially excellent workflow.

I recently added a 8A and I might add another down the road. The 16A handles preamps, eqs, compressors, 500 series stuff, outboard effects in one rack on one side of my DAW desk and the 8A via Ethernet cable handles racked synth, rompler models in another on the other side of my desk. I have another rack of keyboards that route into a 8 channel light pipe interface that is linked up to the 16A on that side of the desk. I’m looking to replace that down the road with another 8A.

So the moral of the story for me is it’s all about workflow and to have all the gear plugged into patch bays. Then have the patch bays plugged directly into audio interfaces. When I want to try out say a double bass rompler patch on a track I just flip some switches and boom I’m up and recording. If something is not internally routed in the patch bay to the interface it’s just a patch cable away from being so. Makes it so easy there’s no excuses.

I’d suggest getting a few short run 1/4” trs snakes and a couple Samson S 1/4” patch bays considering your use of synths/modular for starters and take it from there.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Thanks! I've been looking at patch bays as something that could help my workflow as well I'll keep looking at them, especially the Samson S ones.

I'm trying to develop this setup into more of a mixing aspect. I guess patch bays could really help with the signal flow and to easily reroute signals from one place to another!

My workflow at the moment is relatively nice but could of course be improved, it's all based around the SSL SiX at the moment which has really good routing capabilities, so at the push of a few buttons I can use it solely for mixing and with a few more buttons I can send out one of the preamp channels into my daw while listening to a track on another channel and record only the mic channel, etc.

I suppose with a patch bay I could really route things much more cleanly with everything plugged into that directly? I'll have a look!

Then once I get a bigger mixing desk and an extra audio interface (16A probably?) with some more outboard gear I'll probably be needing another patch bay... I do hate having to get underneath the desk and get lost in a mass of cables. Thanks for the advice.
📝 Reply