The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How about this for a first home studio?
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Guru

Your list looks quite good to me. I personally don't but the hype of expensive DI boxes. I once worked on a project that was to be mixed and a very high-end studio. They lent us a bunch of stuff to use in tracking, including an expensive DI box. We realized after the DI was returned that we needed to fix something in a bass part. We used our Rapco DB-100 ($35) and punched in the mistake. We couldn't hear it and the mixer at the other studio never commented on it. If I listen to the record I can't remember what song it was, let alone what part.

Now Paris. It's a kind of cool system. I mixed a record is Paris at a friends home studio earlier this year. The control surface is a big pain in the ass. I basically used it as a transport control. We did our automation graphically. I also don't like its use of submixes. You basically con only work on one submix at a time. So if your working on one submix and you hear something on another submix that you want to work on you have to first update the submix you're working on and then go on to the other submix to so what you want there. You can get multiple Paris cards and get one submix per card. But you now have to find and buy used.

IMHO if you are going to base a studio around a technology that isn't being made anymore...buy a 2" machine.
But I'm biased and if your bag is hard disk go for it!
grggt
Old 5th November 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
With the kind of gear you're planning to get, you're gonna run out of excuses for a long time for things not sounding the way you would like them...

lmao.. especially with those ADAMs. they piss off my skills on a daily basis. that is until i win.
Old 6th November 2002
Here for the gear

Ok, everything seems to be set with my studio plan (except for a couple of things)...

This is what I have for Preamps now...

PREAMPS
-------
RNP $500
Crane Song Flamingo $2700
VIPRE $2500
Great River MP-2NV $2000

I can use the Great River as a DI to "warm up" my synths... The RNP also can be used as a DI and i'm assuming that it's a "straight wire with gain" type mic pre/DI. Is there any pre/di combo I can add that'll add some "sheen" to the signal (preferably something that's a little versatile and has some tone-shaping options)?

Also for the mic cabinet...

Do you recommend one Royer SF-12 or two 121's.. or should i just go for one SF-12 and one 121
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

The NV is rumored to have killer DI inputs and you'll definitely be able to color things a lot if you play with gain staging.

Now for the Royer, will you do a lot of loud/heavy gtrs? They are sort of mandatory on them. (Like RCA BK-5's but let's not go there... ) I have two 121's and would not want to be separated from them in any way. I don't use them for OH's though... but front-of-kick "outside", wow!!! I have also tried the SF-12 a couple of times and really like it. (read: I have to get it!) A couple of 121's could be a little more flexible...

Of course the true "gearslut" answer is: GET BOTH!!! :eek:
Old 6th November 2002
My vote = one SF-12 and one 121

Old 6th November 2002
There is only one

i have a B&O BM5 [what the sf12 was based on] and an R121 and would rather have 3 R121's.
Old 6th November 2002
One with big hooves

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keyboardji
[B]Sorry for not promptly responding.. Here are my thoughts....

Paris - I understand that hardware development has stopped but software development/support will continue, and I don't see outgrowing Paris for a long while.

*** That's if software development continues. I understand that two of the guys working on it got caught up doing Gov't work after 9/11.

Cabling & Patch bays - I understand that these are extremely important. I plan on either buying Mogami cables or making my own (if i'm not lazy). I didn't put them in my budget because I'll be purchasing them with gig money from playing out (and i'm not sure exactly how much i'll need)

*** Lots. And when you come up with a number double it and you'll be close. I think I have about $5000 invested in cabling and patchbays. I've never added it all up and it was bought a little at a time as I expanded.

DI's - THe only reason I chose the Avalon's was because they received some good reviews. I'd be more than happy to get a pre/di combination to fill out my needs for di's and more pres. I'd like to have a good bass di + two (stereo) "clean/straight-wire" di's for keyboards + two (stereo) silky/tubey/colored di's for keyboards (all of which can be used for bass/guitar as well)

*** I don't really buy into the whole expensive DI box thing. I'd rather have a good solid DI like a BSS or Countryman. The player and preamp make more of a difference. Maybe I'll get one if I have an extra $500 or $600 to burn one day.

Basically this studio is going to be for personal projects (whether it be my band's or my friend's bands). I'm hoping to hone my recording skills enough to sell my services and make some money (turning it into a part-time, then hopefully full-time job). THat's why I want to get some solid-flexible equipment from the get-go so I don't have to constantly be upgrading things/adding variants of the same thing (having 10-different compressors/20-different effects-boxes/specialized boxes). Once I do hone my skills I plan on taking this equipment, adding a bit more to it and then opening up a larger studio (hopefully making/purchasing a seperate facility) - but for now I'm just trying to get this thing up and running.

*** Once you open yourself up to outside clients you'll have a whole other set of problems to worry about. Everything from insurance to security to keeping the wall intact when someone smacks a case into them for the 100th time that month. Keeping up with the latest gear is only part of that rat race.
Old 6th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
My vote = one SF-12 and one 121

Yep rollz ...the SF-12/SF-1 is one of those special godlike mics, especially on acoustic sources.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search