The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting Back into the Game
Old 2nd November 2020
Here for the gear

Any weak links in this signal chain? RME ADI2 Pro

All, thank you for this awesome forum, I've gotten so much helpful info that I decided to join and soon, contribute.

I am looking for a little advice on my signal chain that I'm currently researching and getting ready to purchase. The converter segment of the chain has been tough to figure out, but I think I'm close. I've read good info on this forum about RME ADI2 Pro, but I'm not sure if it is the right converter for me.

Context: I've been out of the recording game for a spell and am getting back into it. My budget is 6-7k and I have a comp, controller and monitors. I will be doing mostly songwriting, recording vocals, miking acoustic instruments and using software instruments as well. So, two high quality channels should suffice, although 4 would be perfect for more creative flexibility.

Any weak links in the chain or recommendations that I should consider? Other converters?

Chain: Warm Audio WA47 and Octava MK012 (old school pair) --> Great River and 512C presents --> Buzz Audio Essence Compressor --> RME ADI2 Pro

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,

Brody

Last edited by balancingbrody; 2nd November 2020 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Old 29th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think the RME might be a bit overkill and not enough at the same time. I used to have a pair of Oktavas (I bought in late 1999) and have used the Warm 47 (...and you're not talking the jr, but the real tube 47?) Warm is competent gear, but I always find something I think is better, usually for a bit less money. The Oktavas I loved at first, had them for years, but they were replaced by a pair of Pelusos and a pair of Chameleon Labs.

The RME will be a fantastic unit, but I think it will also show the weaknesses of your mics; also might be too limiting with only 2 inputs... but again it might be just fine. my thoughts would be if you get the RME you might want to look into replacing your mics as well. Maybe Manley reference and Earthworks?
Old 29th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
...I mean it sounds like you might be getting "a Lamborghini, but can't shift out of first gear" I record in a completely different circumstance. I do 16 channel in, with a Black Lion Audio mod MOTU 2408 mkIII and Apogee Rosetta. Not nearly along the RME quality, but 2 sets of 8 channel that sounds good, and a bit different- so it gives me options. Over 40 mics total, 20 mic pres, 16 EQs, 14 compressors- potential for lots of variety.

Coming from that, I think you might end up limiting yourself.
Old 29th November 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You might think about using the Babyface instead of the ADI-2. More channel options with that one.
Old 1st December 2020
Here for the gear

Thank you all for your input. I'd have to agree with all that ya'll've mentioned. Since my post and prior to yours, most of my gear arrived and was assembled. The ADI2 Pro is incredible. For my recording purposes it is "overkill and not enough at the same time." I'll have to build into it. I'm so stoked on it though. It is a mind job to listen to hifi tunes through.

With my mics it totally shows the weakness of the Octavas. They'll have to sit out the RME sessions. The WA47 sounds great through my pres and the RME. I'm excited about some of the test recordings I've gotten. I do plan on upgrading mics over time to match the RME's ability. So, rbbrchckn, I will take your suggestions and dig into some research.

Again, thanks to ya'll!
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancingbrody View Post
Chain: Warm Audio WA47 and Octava MK012 (old school pair) --> Great River and 512C presents --> Buzz Audio Essence Compressor --> RME ADI2 Pro
Just out of curiosity, which Great River? An MP-2NV? A friend of mine loves his GR MP-2NV, and I've been thinking about picking one up.

Oh ... and have fun!

Cheers

John
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

It's the MP-500NV. I'm fairly new to high end stuff and I can only compare it to the LaChapell 583s and some low end pres. With that in mind, I love it. To me, it has a really clean sound with a small amount of coloration as the gain gets cranked.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancingbrody View Post
It's the MP-500NV. I'm fairly new to high end stuff and I can only compare it to the LaChapell 583s and some low end pres. With that in mind, I love it. To me, it has a really clean sound with a small amount of coloration as the gain gets cranked.
Thanks for your reply. I'm in the planning stages of putting together a new small home studio, and I'm currently thinking:

Pearlman TM-1 (sometimes Neumann U87) --> MP-2NV --> Manley Elop (sometimes Mohog Fet76) --> RME Fireface UFX+
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorPhonic View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm in the planning stages of putting together a new small home studio, and I'm currently thinking:

Pearlman TM-1 (sometimes Neumann U87) --> MP-2NV --> Manley Elop (sometimes Mohog Fet76) --> RME Fireface UFX+
My friend bought a Pearlman TM-1 which he loves, and we shot it out on all of the preamps I had. He pretty quickly had it narrowed down to the Avedis MA5 and Great River as the favorites. The Great River pre's sound great with everything, and have a great DI and metering. Good luck!
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
My friend bought a Pearlman TM-1 which he loves, and we shot it out on all of the preamps I had. He pretty quickly had it narrowed down to the Avedis MA5 and Great River as the favorites. The Great River pre's sound great with everything, and have a great DI and metering. Good luck!
Thanks! And that's great to hear about the Pearlman and the Great River. I've never used either of them, yet a good friend of mine has both and really loves them.
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks for your replies. I'm circling back with curiosity about your mic knowledge, since it sounds like you have a breadth of experience and mics. Yes, I have the WA47. I've found incredible results through my 538s on acoustic, but hasn't melted my face the way I wanted it to on my vocals. In your experience what are some mics you've reached for, over the WA47, on darker and huskier male vocals? On some tracks I sing close and intimate; and on some, with a louder and more dynamic performance. I'd love to hear some of your thoughts as I'm already hoping to search for a different vocal mic when my wallet allows. I will also upgrade from the Octavas down the road too; so, your Earthworks suggestion is noted. Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 4th December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
One reason I have an excess of mics is that I end up using a different mic for every different singer, almost guaranteed. I'll set up all my tubes and have them ready for the singer to just mute / unmute in the control room and see what he likes during the drum load in and setup. Similar setup with condensers while drum tear down / guitar overdub setup. Surprisingly, for the huskier voices my ancient Groove Tube gets picked a lot. Chameleon Labs TS-2 gets picked about as much as the Telefunken M16 mkII. (not surprisingly, the AKG SolidTube is used to prop the door open while drums are being loaded in) Other than my pair of Chameleon Labs TS-1's that's what I have left for tube mics. Have had others, but those are the 3 I have left (door prop does not count as 4).

Condensers are all over the place. Miktek C7 gets a lot of love. One guy loves the OceanWay ST6050, another guy loves my Lewitt LCT 540 Authentica, still another loves my BLUE Blueberry. Most recently the 3U Audio mics get used, especially for backing vocals. If you haven't seen the monster thread on them check out:

Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings

I currently own 3, and am considering getting a matched pair of SDC's. Great mics for cheap, and Gousheng has always been very quick to respond t my emails.
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbrchckn View Post
Surprisingly, for the huskier voices my ancient Groove Tube gets picked a lot.
Interesting that you brought that up! A good friend of mine -- whose ears I highly respect -- has an old USA-made Groove Tubes MD1a tube mic that he uses a lot. Not sure what type of voices he uses it on, but he really likes it. He mentioned the word "THICK", but I don't know if he meant the sound of the mic or the voice of the singer. When he uses it, he eq's in more highs (around 8K).
πŸ“ Reply