The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KRK 8s2 vs 10s2 sub for my KRK VXT4
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

KRK 8s2 vs 10s2 sub for my KRK VXT4

I've got a pair of KRK VXT4 that I've been using for many years and I'm planning to add a sub soon. Now there's a sale on the KRK 8s2 sub at a local store, which makes it around $190 cheaper than KRK 10s2. I've always heard that the 10s2 is much better than the 8s2, even when pairing with small monitors (like mine) in a small room (mine is about 2.5m x 3.5m). I wonder if the sonic difference would be worth the price difference if I could get the 8s2 on sale.

Your inputs are greatly appreciated!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by poonna View Post
I've got a pair of KRK VXT4 that I've been using for many years and I'm planning to add a sub soon. Now there's a sale on the KRK 8s2 sub at a local store, which makes it around $190 cheaper than KRK 10s2. I've always heard that the 10s2 is much better than the 8s2, even when pairing with small monitors (like mine) in a small room (mine is about 2.5m x 3.5m). I wonder if the sonic difference would be worth the price difference if I could get the 8s2 on sale.

Your inputs are greatly appreciated!
There is a sonic difference, but the difference would depend on your room acoustics and your monitoring chain. To some spending the$190 difference is a no brainer and would spend the extra $190 to get better sound quality in their studio

In all honesty, If you are worried about getting the best 'sonic' quality, I would not build upon your KRK's. Especially the VXT4's. If i was in your shoes. I would upgrade my studio monitors, then get a matching sub or a sub that matches good with it.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
There is a sonic difference, but the difference would depend on your room acoustics and your monitoring chain. To some spending the$190 difference is a no brainer and would spend the extra $190 to get better sound quality in their studio

In all honesty, If you are worried about getting the best 'sonic' quality, I would not build upon your KRK's. Especially the VXT4's. If i was in your shoes. I would upgrade my studio monitors, then get a matching sub or a sub that matches good with it.
Thanks for your recommendation. I'd really love to go that route, but I think I can only afford a sub in that price range for now. To upgrade to a better pair of monitors (e.g., a pair of Focal CMS), not including a matching sub, I'll probably have to save up for a couple more years.

I have a small room but treated as much as I could with DIY bass traps/soffits, and I use Sonarworks for additional correction. $190 is quite an amount of money for me right now, but if that gets me a significant sonic difference, I'll probably go for it.
📝 Reply