The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
vintage mic for kick and bass guitar
Old 20th October 2020
Lives for gear

vintage mic for kick and bass guitar

any vintage dynamic mics under $200 for recording bass?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotchicken View Post
What are ATM25s going for these days?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

A really beat up 421
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

what do you expect from cheap 'vintage' mics if not poor performance?! or are they getting used for some kinda stylish photo shot or in a tribute band? for the latter, i've been using plenty of modified/upgraded mics (mostly sure and akg)...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe until end of october 2020 you should be able to get a sennheiser 421 for 200 bucks new.
Dunno if this also is avalaible in the US, it was so in europe apparently.

The 421 is a great mic for these tasks when you need a nice punchy sound.

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Senny for bass duty? Ok. How bout an old akg d112?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Senny for bass duty? Ok. How bout an old akg d112?
421 on bass cabs? Hell yeah!
Mix it with your DI signal..

In the end is a matter of taste.. I imagine you might use that akg too.. nothing “vintage” about it though..

The 421 has a sort of way of portraying things from drums to bass (and gtr cabs too) that are somewhat 70ies style..rawness/directness and organic.. (especially on distorted cabs/bass)

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have an old SM58 I'd let you have for $199.

It kind of smells, though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Electro-Voice 868 is probably the most vintage-sounding mic for kick/bass under $200. The newer version (N/D68) sounds exactly the same.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I have an old SM58 I'd let you have for $199.

It kind of smells, though.
Haha. Why so much for the sm58?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

does anyone know how to id the year of a senny 421?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha. Why so much for the sm58?
Cause it's V I N T A G E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
Cause it's V I N T A G E
U think vintage mics arr hyped?
Lives for gear

Quote:
U think vintage mics arr hyped?
No,

I think you don't have enough cash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I believe until end of october 2020 you should be able to get a sennheiser 421 for 200 bucks new.
Dunno if this also is avalaible in the US, it was so in europe apparently.

The 421 is a great mic for these tasks when you need a nice punchy sound.

Cheu
The problem with buying a vintage 421 wihtout any experience with them is that you don't know if it sounds ok. You'll find them in any aging status from no bass resonse to full bass response. It's hard to judge, if you have no reference.

It took me 15 vintage ones over the years to get three with matching full bass response. If you get one of them in this good shape, they sound fantastic! But you need a windshield on a kick. Otherwise you'll risk damaging the capsule and end up with one of those thin sounding ones...

So, as great as they are, it's a risky purchase.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz View Post
The problem with buying a vintage 421 wihtout any experience with them is that you don't know if it sounds ok. You'll find them in any aging status from no bass resonse to full bass response. It's hard to judge, if you have no reference.

It took me 15 vintage ones over the years to get three with matching full bass response. If you get one of them in this good shape, they sound fantastic! But you need a windshield on a kick. Otherwise you'll risk damaging the capsule and end up with one of those thin sounding ones...

maybe you wanted to quote somebody else..

I suggested a NEW 421, which until of the end of the month sennheiser should sell for 200$/euro.
No problems on a new 421 with kicks (or bass) here.

Cheu
Quote:

I suggested a NEW 421, which until of the end of the month sennheiser should sell for 200$/euro.

Cheu
You're right, sorry. No need to buy 15 new 421 to get 3 good ones :-D
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

re 666 or better yet for a old mic with a modern sound the AKG d200e dual diaphragm dynamic..you can pick one up for 175-225
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheu
Good suggestion but they're not vintage though which is the magic the OP is after.

OP is either trolling or doesn't want to understand that the vintage boat sailed a long time ago.

Similar flavor post by OP on Low end Theory

Vintage ldc on the cheap
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
Good suggestion but they're not vintage though which is the magic the OP is after.

OP is either trolling or doesn't want to understand that the vintage boat sailed a long time ago.

Similar flavor post by OP on Low end Theory
I said it above, to me the 421 have a little bit of a vintage feeling going on (like in a different way the 441 also does)..

I copy it here again..

The 421 has a sort of way of portraying things from drums to bass (and gtr cabs too) that are somewhat 70ies style..rawness/directness and organic.. (especially on distorted cabs/bass)

although I imagine everybody has his own “vision”..

Cheu
Lives for gear

Quote:

feck! not what i wanted to hear...
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're right, sorry. No need to buy 15 new 421 to get 3 good ones :-D
lol, give me a break. OK sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a couple old ones in very good shape, and had a couple new ones...until a bought a couple more new ones this past month.

If I thought the old ones were in any way better, I would have not bought more new.

In reference to a point above, you can tell age in general from characteristics of the build and logo.

I think a good reason to buy an old one, would be that you really like cream color, or want a black one from the 80s because you are a collector. A bad reason would be thinking it will sound better.
Here for the gear

Quote:

Cheu
Who's selling them for €200?
Lives for gear

Quote:
feck! not what i wanted to hear...
Mostly the only free lunch in the land of recording is free VST plugins.

There are lots of good old dynamic mics out there but most have been figured out for a while now by many people so they aren't all that cheap anymore and unfortunately these mics are a crapshoot due to wear and tear and general age.

Mics like the AKG D12 could be found back in the 90's for $150 or $200 but now they are many times that price and far more questionable about their function.

The standard SM57 really isn't a bad mic on kick for cheap but a good micpre really helps.

I have a Peavey 520 that's pretty good on kick but even those are well enough known now that they bring about $150. I re-bought mine several years ago for $50.

The suggestion of the 421ii if you can still get one for $200 new is a good one but that's probably more than it sounds like you are looking to spend.

Many cheap large diaphragm condensers that are too bright and wonky sounding to be decent vocal mics can be put to use on kick drum to good effect. If you are looking for a $50 solution I would search in that direction.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
I have a couple old ones in very good shape, and had a couple new ones...until a bought a couple more new ones this past month.

If I thought the old ones were in any way better, I would have not bought more new.

In reference to a point above, you can tell age in general from characteristics of the build and logo.

I think a good reason to buy an old one, would be that you really like cream color, or want a black one from the 80s because you are a collector. A bad reason would be thinking it will sound better.
ok so "better" could mean anything. but are you saying that there aren't any sonic differences between the old and new ones?
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok so "better" could mean anything. but are you saying that there aren't any sonic differences between the old and new ones?
I think it has more to do with the break in of the diaphragm from use, and general aging of the diaphragm, crud that accumulates between the two internal meshes, aging of the parts in the roll off filter (reduces level/shifts overall sound a bit as they get old).

Take all of those factors away and maybe there is still some difference, but even with those factors it is not like it is night and day...and I would probably rather use the new one most times. On one hand, the old ones can be nice, on the other hand I can often hear a side of it that may be that it has just aged. Either old or new might be a better fit for a given instrument or voice, but probably not winning over the other by very much.

With microphones, every small difference potentially blows up to have large impact. The old mic in this case is one that no longer works to spec as it did when it left the factory, and which has been used probably much longer than ever intended.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshMurr View Post
Who's selling them for €200?
Ask your dealer..
Sennheiser posted this on their website, I believe..
I’ve got an email at the beginning of october or so..
On some swiss online stores I can see them for 211 chf, which is equivalent (and probably with shipping included).

They even posted a video tracking a drumkit with the 421 on overheads..because of this special sale.

Dunno in the rest of europe or the US..

But should be like this until the end of october 2020.

Cheu
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 421ii uses neodymium magnet and maybe has some other differences or not, others here could maybe answer the details of that better.

The "new" version definitely has a different and brighter sound than the older ones that is going to be more apparent on some sources than others. With kick drum I'm not sure that there is going to be a huge difference so it may be a good choice if that is your plan for it. The $200 sale price lately on them is crazy cheap as used 421ii mics go for that kind of money.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have seen people on forums say the new ones have neodymium mags and the old ones do not, but I have never seen that actually laid out in the Sennheiser specs or confirmed. Not saying it isn’t possible, but I would sure love to see some solid proof on that if it exists, vs just being myth.
📝 Reply