The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
02R96 - PT via ADAT levels metering mismatch
Old 9th July 2007
02R96 - PT via ADAT levels metering mismatch

I am coming out of the direct outs of my 02R96 via ADAT to the ADAT in on a Digi002.

Unfortunately the meters on the 02R96 meter bridge don'match those in PT. I reckon the PT meters are right & the Yam meters are peaking when there is still around 7dB of headroom.

Has anybody got any ideas what I am doing wrong here?
Old 9th July 2007
Gear Maniac

I have the same set up and of course, I had the same trouble. Are you sure that the digi 002 meter is working like a ppm instead a Vu meter?
Have you used the internal 02\96 oscillator (in the utility) for calibrating in and out levels?
alessio
Spazi Sonori - Via della Gherardesca, 1 - 57128 LIVORNO
Old 9th July 2007
Hi Alessio,

thanks for this. Both meters are functioning as ppm I am pretty sure (from watching them).

I've not tried calibrating the desk yet (I'm not actually the studio tech) but I would've thought that going digital everything should have lined up straight away.

Am I wrong?
Old 9th July 2007
Gear Head

I have both of these items although I've never hooked them up like this. I have suspected for a long time that the 01V96 shows a peak on the meters when there is actually as much as 6 dB left in headroom. Personally I am comfortable with that and never worried about it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that on my Yamaha I was starting to overdrive the mic preamp in the analog domain around the same time the meters were peaking in the display. So if there is an extra 6 dB of digital headroom built in, I would never use it because I don't want to clip the mic pres either.

Todd Wilcox

Edit: Ooops, I have the 01V96, not the 02R, but I wouldn't be suprised if they were very similar.
Old 10th July 2007
Thanks Todd. This is really useful. Basically you are saying that you suspect that there is a digital reserve of headroom above where the analogue stages of the 02R96 begin to clip & that the meters reflect what is happening in the analogue stages.

I'd love it if someone could confirm any of this or point out any technical documents that back it up (the manual for the 02R96 is not great).
Old 10th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewyear View Post
Hi Alessio,

thanks for this. Both meters are functioning as ppm I am pretty sure (from watching them).

I've not tried calibrating the desk yet (I'm not actually the studio tech) but I would've thought that going digital everything should have lined up straight away.

Am I wrong?
I had this problem even with a O3D yamaha, with a TDIF card and I did not solve the problem. Would you please describe your chain, cause if I remember well the problem was only in input, not in output. Now my setup is: mic- cable-pre amp-converter- adat cable- recorder- adat cable 02\96 for monitoring and mixing, and the meter are perfect.
Let me know
Alessio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search