The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann ATTN: Slutz Want Vintage KMi Reissues!/Poll
View Poll Results: If Neumann reissues original KMi microphones I will:
I'd buy a KM 83i!
0 Votes - 0%
I'd definitely purchase a pair of KM 83is!
1 Votes - 2.44%
I'd buy a KM 84i!
10 Votes - 24.39%
I'd definitely purchase a pair of KM 84is!
18 Votes - 43.90%
I'd buy a KM 85i!
0 Votes - 0%
I'd definitely purchase a pair of KM 85is!
1 Votes - 2.44%
My gearsluttiness has no bounds, I'd buy lots of KMi reissues!!!
7 Votes - 17.07%
I would not buy a KMi reissue:(
6 Votes - 14.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

Neumann ATTN: Slutz Want Vintage KMi Reissues!/Poll

Hello slutties!

Tired of trying to buy vintage KMs on ebay that look like they've been run over by a truck?... This poll's for you!

Attention Neumann, we would buy lots of your KM series mics (namely the KM83i, 84i, and 85i) if you would be so kind as to reissue them! Gearslutz from all over the world will cheer! heh heh heh

As far as the newer KM line goes, this is no slam... we'll take them too!
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

Did anyone see those two sad looking used KMs that just sold on ebay without the capsules or mic bodies? the seller wasn't even sure what models they were. I saw a mint condition KM84i sell for a little under $600 a few weeks ago, and I accidentally missed the auction before it ended! I was so mad at myself. Someone got an amazing deal though.
Old 9th July 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault View Post
Did anyone see those two sad looking used KMs that just sold on ebay without the capsules or mic bodies? the seller wasn't even sure what models they were. I saw a mint condition KM84i sell for a little under $600 a few weeks ago, and I accidentally missed the auction before it ended! I was so mad at myself. Someone got an amazing deal though.

I hope they got a good deal and didn't just get ripped off for $600 bucks :(

Ebay is a tough one anymore. I have a hard time taking a risk on recording gear through there. I got a Gibson Les Paul Studio there for $335 about 6 years ago and I love it, but it has been a lot more work than it is worth to get other items there. imho
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremin View Post
I hope they got a good deal and didn't just get ripped off for $600 bucks :(

Ebay is a tough one anymore. I have a hard time taking a risk on recording gear through there. I got a Gibson Les Paul Studio there for $335 about 6 years ago and I love it, but it has been a lot more work than it is worth to get other items there. imho
You're right. Have you seen all the iphone listings with their accompanying pictures of the seller's id? Not that this is a new thing, but it was kinda funny to me when i saw the other day, all the photos with everybody's little piece of paper with their name on it. It doesn't seem like it takes very long for the scum, lowlife thieves to come and mess everything up.
Old 16th July 2007
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Let's get Sennheiser...cough...cough...Neumann to reissue it...

What about Gefell? I mean, they're "more Neumann than Neumann" right now. Oops -- after the fall of the Berlin Wall, Sennheiser bought the right to put that lovely diamond badge on a mic.

While we're at it, a KM54-style small tube condenser would be even cooler. Maybe one without the hard-to-find AC701(?) tube. Has anyone noticed that the boutique companies really emphasize the LDC's in a huge way? Same with pre's & eq's vs. compressors...but I digress...
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano View Post
Let's get Sennheiser...cough...cough...Neumann to reissue it...

What about Gefell? I mean, they're "more Neumann than Neumann" right now. Oops -- after the fall of the Berlin Wall, Sennheiser bought the right to put that lovely diamond badge on a mic.

While we're at it, a KM54-style small tube condenser would be even cooler. Maybe one without the hard-to-find AC701(?) tube. Has anyone noticed that the boutique companies really emphasize the LDC's in a huge way? Same with pre's & eq's vs. compressors...but I digress...
Sounds good to me! I think you're right... there is an over-emphasis on LDCs compared to SDCs. Isn't it strange, with all the focus on warming up recordings (since digital has become mainstream), that the mic world doesn't reflect it nearly as much as other types of gear. Even the prosumer stuff have tubes stickin' out of the top! Yet, except for a few manufacturers, it seems to me most of the newer mics have moved towards lowering noise with transformerless designs etc. Not that a clean mic is a bad thing, you'd just think there would be more of a balance in the SDC world- offering mics with character rather than all of them being super clean with a hyped top.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

The real question is what would a "modern" Neumann KM84i actually sound like? As great as the new U87... I think I would pass on it.
Old 17th July 2007
They already make it, it's the much un-loved KM184.

Do any of you believe Sennheiser would make a mic without surface mount crap in it? They are too greedy to do it right. They even have surface mount junk in new U-87's. There are not enough of you to make it worthwhile for them, they are into mass produced crap these days.

Even their top-o-line MKS rf condensers are full of this surface mount junk. For the price they want for those, forget a true KM84 reissue, even if they did do it, they would screw up the capsule or the transfomer.

Sennheiser = 0 confidence. You have a better chance of the Chinese doing it.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search