The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Mic For Smooth Vocals
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great song/singing/video/advice. Well if I do ever end up in Brazil... I do require an (age appropriate) bikini clad Rio Hottie!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
I found an used u87ai! Now I'm between the u87ai and the Kiwi. Any advice? I think I'm close to find the Mic! What do you guys think, for my aproach and style?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Cool. Well...How much are they asking on each one?

BTW I think your voice sounds like it has less (problematical) brightness than mine.
So that may open up the Kiwi option for you, along with the U87ai.
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
First clip below... AKG D790 with Launcher.
Second clip below... D790 without Launcher.

This time the first clip is LOUDER.
(yes I need to "normalize" more!)
EDIT: Added 6db volume to 2nd clip (1st clip is still a bit louder though)
Chris
You know I'm a fan of your voice, but every clip with the Launcher seems to do it a disservice.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Think the Kiwi is worth a try. If you're not happy with the KMS105, the 87AI won't be much better, possibly worse in an untreated room. On axis, the KMS105 and U87AI sound very similar.

Don't listen to me... but listen to Scott Dorsey: New gear Millennia STT-1 with u87ai or KMS105?

Can you try both mics before you buy?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Tony (Drumsound). I appreciate your insights and educated opinion. I'll go back (as time permits) and do a revaluation of how the Launcher... Affects the tone.

Some of it may have been "new toy Syndrome" . But I'm hoping there are times, where the Launcher might-at least-put an "interesting spin" on things.

It will also be a good learning experience for me, to go back and "de-verb" some of my other past recordings, as Dave R. suggested. Usually that simply means just "dialing back" on the digital simulation, of the "mix" knob, on the original MultitrackStudio file!
Chris
P.S. BTW the AKG D770 is the same mic, as the D790... Just has less of a pop filter.

EDIT 10/18/20: Tony and I had a nice chat today... And I agreed with him that on my voice, the Launcher would be best suited,
in a heavy Mix-to cut through even more (ala Classic Rock). Tony felt there was enough vocal "cut"/Presence in it already,
for more melodic material. (thanks for all the kind vocal comments though )
I still have a tough time figuring out how much Compression to use, so the Launcher is still very handy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great advice from Mando; Mic > preamp > interface. Can you look into some DIY room treatment? That'll make LDC's easier to work with. Sorry if that subject has already been covered.

Love your voice Chris!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodrigoPandelo View Post
I found an used u87ai! Now I'm between the u87ai and the Kiwi. Any advice? I think I'm close to find the Mic! What do you guys think, for my aproach and style?
Agree with Mando above!
The 87Ai is not an holy grail mic. It’s a good mic, but with a hefty price tag for what it is, and while it works ok on many sources it rarely excel at something.. It’s quite mid forward and on some vocals might be not pleasant, its top end is not as smooth as other mics. It’s a Neumann and has a great resale value.. but you should pick the mic that suits your needs.

For voiceover the U87 and 416 are standards because they have to cut through and being up front, And it’s a different type/art or portraying a message (the human voice), so this is not always the best in sparse acoustic music arrangements.

(I own a pair of vintage U87 maintained by Grosser, for the record.. so I do like the 87 in some occasions, also the Ai while not a totally different mic, is not the same as the vintage ones).

Since they’re both in your city, invest your time go and test both, one of them might be better than the other.. bring your small mixer/recorder that you’ll use for recording, so you can record the test and compare the two, take a decision and buy the mic that suits best YOUR vocals.

I’m not saying you should not get the U87, what I’m saying is test both and pick the one that suits YOUR vocals best.

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 1 week ago at 10:14 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Thank you guys for all the help.

I might try them both. THey are not at my city, exactly. One is in Praia Grande (about 1h from where I am), and the other is in a part of São Paulo that is 2h30m from where I am. I might try them, anyway.

I am inclined to get the u87ai for this: everybody that's helping me with this, you guys and another experienced friend of mine, Chris, are telling me that the best is to try the Mics and see what works best for MY vocals. And you are extremelly right. All of you. BUT, right now, with Covid and everything, I am not able to try all the top contenders because I can't leave Brazil. Maybe next year things get better and I will be able to visit US, and do a marathon of mic testing... and that would reveal my holy grail. I would love to meet some of you in person, if you were nearby.

And since the beginning, I guess anyone told me that the Kiwi would be a good option, so it probably is good, but not the mic made perfectly for my vocals. Since the u87ai is easier to sell, I might go for it, and ell it after my international mic trip, if I find out my holy grail. It would be sad if I got the Kiwi and after the trials, I got another mic and couldn't sell the Kiwi... or had to sell it in a low price.

I think you guys get my point.

The u87ai mmight be even a little worse than the Kiwi for my purposes. Not that smooth high end, midforward... but it will not be bad (for sure way better than the 2035... and I really hope that better than the KMS105, also hahahahha), but I will be able to sell it when I find the ONE!

Does it makes sense?

EDIT: stay tuned! The guy from the Kiwi sent me a message telling he will bring the mic for me to test it! Maybe is a sign from God! We'll see! Hahahahah!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you guys for all the help.

I might try them both. THey are not at my city, exactly. One is in Praia Grande (about 1h from where I am), and the other is in a part of São Paulo that is 2h30m from where I am. I might try them, anyway.

I am inclined to get the u87ai for this: everybody that's helping me with this, you guys and another experienced friend of mine, Chris, are telling me that the best is to try the Mics and see what works best for MY vocals. And you are extremelly right. All of you. BUT, right now, with Covid and everything, I am not able to try all the top contenders because I can't leave Brazil. Maybe next year things get better and I will be able to visit US, and do a marathon of mic testing... and that would reveal my holy grail. I would love to meet some of you in person, if you were nearby.

And since the beginning, I guess anyone told me that the Kiwi would be a good option, so it probably is good, but not the mic made perfectly for my vocals. Since the u87ai is easier to sell, I might go for it, and ell it after my international mic trip, if I find out my holy grail. It would be sad if I got the Kiwi and after the trials, I got another mic and couldn't sell the Kiwi... or had to sell it in a low price.

I think you guys get my point.

The u87ai mmight be even a little worse than the Kiwi for my purposes. Not that smooth high end, midforward... but it will not be bad (for sure way better than the 2035... and I really hope that better than the KMS105, also hahahahha), but I will be able to sell it when I find the ONE!

Does it makes sense?

EDIT: stay tuned! The guy from the Kiwi sent me a message telling he will bring the mic for me to test it! Maybe is a sign from God! We'll see! Hahahahah!
Awesome! Test them both and see which one do YOU prefer for YOUR vocals.

You’re getting the kiwi (and the u87) at a good price..
so you’re not going to loose a lot of money.. in the case of the kiwi you’re getting it for almost half its new price..
So no big losses ahead.

Maybe it’s not even needed to do a mic tour in the US (even when that might be possible which is still few months from now, in the best case scenario).
You might be happy with one of these.. (I know this is gearslutz, but sometimes happiness is being able to accept reality and do your best with what you have).

You’re lucky, you have something nobody can buy.. the talent.

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

After spending countless hours researching and listening I can tell you this. The best bang for your buck high quality mic you can get right now it’s the Chandler TG. This one sounds clear and BIG. Ordering one soon!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I posted samples of Kiwi and U87 in this thread. Maybe this will offer more info...
A-Designs MP-2a
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by shobud View Post
I posted samples of Kiwi and U87 in this thread. Maybe this will offer more info...
A-Designs MP-2a
WOW! That Kiwi seems a lot open, airy and with a great bottom end. I loved it!

The Neumann sounded a little more smooth, but a little sterile. I don't know if it is my newbie ear or anything. But I really liked the qualities of that Kiwi.

Congratulations, Shobud!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi there, folks. That's my first post here, and I would like to know what would be your choice for smooth vocals. Nothing harsh, cutting, ear piercing, etc. I want just smooth vocals for my purposes and style. I play pretty soft, singer songwriter stuff. Just me and my acoustic Guitar.

I have a Neumann KM184 for my acoustic guitar and a AT2035 and a Neumann KMS105 for my vocals (I use it live, but I am using also at studio for recording... it is doing fine, but it might be better choices, probably).

I can't test mics, because I live in Brazil, and I have to import almost everything. So... no testing/auditions for me.

I will use a Apollo Twin Duo USB for mixing.

I think that's all I have of information. If you guys want to check my style, is just search for Rodrigo Pandeló on YouTube. That might help understand what's my style.

Thank you very much!!!
You have great stuff ...doesn't get much better. For smooth, you can change the environment, wind screen, and or use a tad of eq.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
You have great stuff ...doesn't get much better. For smooth, you can change the environment, wind screen, and or use a tad of eq.
I don't have all that! I will have... that's a project. I wish I already had! I hope I can make it someday!

:D
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobud View Post
A-Designs MP-2a
I missed (or forgot about) this thread. Your samples sound great. I even like the guitar, and I generally HATE Taylor guitars.

Both mics suit your voice, do you still have them?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I missed (or forgot about) this thread. Your samples sound great. I even like the guitar, and I generally HATE Taylor guitars.

Both mics suit your voice, do you still have them?
Yep, still have them. Use them all the time! I was picky when I went looking for an acoustic guitar. I tried a lot of them before buying the Taylor.
I like it's rich full tone. But it's not boomy at all. Very easy to record.
Old 1 week ago
Just want to say that I'm a proud owner of a u87ai!

Thank you for all the help. It's my first big "grown up person" vocal mic.

Tomorrow I'll record something and I'll post here!

Thank you for all the help!

I'm really glad!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just want to say that I'm a proud owner of a u87ai!

Thank you for all the help. It's my first big "grown up person" vocal mic.

Tomorrow I'll record something and I'll post here!

Thank you for all the help!

I'm really glad!
Good stuff - have fun!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Awesome! One of my best friends has the U87ai, and it sounds terrific for his voice. I bet it'll sound great for you too.
(alas for my brighter voice-the 47/67 styles sound better)
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Here it is! The first test with the u87ai in my vocals!

https://youtu.be/_sJrrPBNLXU

It was recorded in cardioid and with the KMS105 capturing the Acoustic Guitar. I will soon be with a pair of the KM184, so it might be a little better than that.

I used a blanked behind the microphones, so I could get a little better treatment (if I can call that a real "treatment").

Anyway... I just wanna thank all of you that helped me with that pursue of a nice vocal mic. I guess I have achieved it.

If it wasn't you (and my great friend Chris, from Hawaii), it would have been a pain in the a** to make this choice.

Once again: thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

https://youtu.be/rnRyzKkx7js

It was recorded in cardioid and with the KMS105 capturing the Acoustic Guitar. I will soon be with a pair of the KM184, so it might be a little better than that.

I used a blanked behind the microphones, so I could get a little better treatment (if I can call that a real "treatment").

Anyway... I just wanna thank all of you that helped me with that pursue of a nice vocal mic. I guess I have achieved it.

If it wasn't you (and my great friend Chris, from Hawaii), it would have been a pain in the a** to make this choice.

Sounds great! Happy tracking :¬)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sounds awful Rodrigo!

AWFULLY GOOD!!

BTW there were some College Girls, I showed your Video to.
(they're Regulars at my favorite Coffee Shop)

Now they want you to visit Southern California.
See you're already getting "Market Tested" here

Congrats!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Sounds awful Rodrigo!

AWFULLY GOOD!!

BTW there were some College Girls, I showed your Video to.
(they're Regulars at my favorite Coffee Shop)

Now they want you to visit Southern California.
See you're already getting "Market Tested" here

Congrats!
Chris
Hahahahha! That's great news, Chess!!!

One of my dreams is to live from my music (nowadays I'm a personal trainer), and in the USA! I visited USA twice in my life (both in 2014), and I loved it! I visited Oahu, Gainesville, West Virginia, New York and Washington DC. God, how I miss those places!

Someday I will be able to do both: live from my music IN the USA!

Tell those girls that I'll play at that Coffee Shop, someday!

PS: I love coffee, by the way! Almost an addiction! Hahahahha!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If I were young again, we could do the old "Student Exchange"... And I could finally meet that Girl from Ipanema!
Your thread was timely too, as I'm starting to do a bit more study, of the iconic works of Jobim.

Last night I was at a "physically distant" Music get together with good friends, and for our last song...

We the tiny audience (tried) to sing Jobim's "Waters Of March", with my Good Buddy "Don" (sang Lead)/A Drummer
(an understatement when it's the great Ray Weston!)/And a fine flute player (our friend "Rich").
Check out those lyrics sometime. Great song, but a LOT to remember.
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

https://youtu.be/_sJrrPBNLXU

Sounds good, but there's an essing issue for sure. You might try turning the mic in the shockmount a bit. 25-30 degrees to start. I really like what it does for your voice otherwise.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
You want a smooth mic try the Oktava 2500. $500 and punches way above it’s price
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
You know I'm a fan of your voice, but every clip with the Launcher seems to do it a disservice.
I have to agree, based on my own experience as well. I purchased a Launcher, then had to return it. I think it's voiced specifically for the Shure SM7...because it certainly did not play nicely with my Sennheiser 441, Beyer M88 and M160 -- all mics it should have worked with. I am not opposed to "color" or even "lo-fi", but the Launcher sounded to me like cheap transistors run too hot. A taste thing, I guess.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
You want a smooth mic try the Oktava 2500. $500 and punches way above it’s price
Excellent thought Ardis, but it seems that might be rare, in South America. Maybe a nice complement eventually, on the short list. I'm very fond of my 219 & 319, as you know.
Chris
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Sounds good, but there's an essing issue for sure. You might try turning the mic in the shockmount a bit. 25-30 degrees to start. I really like what it does for your voice otherwise.
Now I need to learn how to mix and record. The most expensive part is done. Now it's treatment (that will not be TOO much expensive) and recording techniques. That Essing thing... I didn't know that! So if I just turn the mic a little to the side, I can make it better? Nice to know!

Thank you! :D
📝 Reply