The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ITB V OTB Dilemna ...probably again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

ITB V OTB Dilemna ...probably again.

Hi again....

I have been reading for a day or two about different plugins and how they compare to their tangible counterparts.

Here is the doubt..and I imagine it's a doubt many people have had, so get your redirecting links at the ready.... if you so please.....

Anyway, I produce my own music from start to finish. I am currently committing gearslutz haram in trying to reduce my studio footstep to the minimum. The reason fro this has to do with lack of space, lack of money and a predisposition that makes me want to create wherever I lay my hat. I like painting and doodling and I'd love to be less tethered when making music too....however I'd like to be able to make something release-worthy, not just sketches.

So, I've whittled everything down to -

GSSL
KT LA2A
JLM 1290
FiveFish X12

I really need 4 pres for recording drums.... I use the LA2A primarily for tracking vox or bass.....and the GSSL as a mix bus comp/drum bus comp.

That aside I have some amps (JazzChorus and MArkbass) some guitars, synths (modelD,DFAM,Matrix1K) drum kit, mics and some other bits and bobs.

The doubt is this...... I'm wondering how different my recordings would potentially be, all things being equal, if I shifted all my outboard gear and tracked raw through the Babyface pro/ SSL 2+ and then used Burnley 73 instead of the pres I have and the DMGTC2 instead of the LA2A.... and which ever plug is currently emulating the GSSL comp.

The thought of being able to whip out the Push2 and Genelec 8010a with the BBP and SSL2+ and a mic and start creating is very very appealing to me.

I have been listening to the AB ing done on here between the Slate 116 and 1176 and the LA2A-okto-real-DMG-UAD-VLA comparatives and to my comparatively untrained ear (with a pair of HD650) the difference is minimal/indiscernible...at least to my ear.....(The 116-1176 a little less so). To your average listener I imagine this difference would be even less discernible , if such a thing is possible.

So ye, would the substitution of the outboard pres and comps for digital equivalents be feasible ? I am admittedly hesitant about taking the plunge but it'd be little easier if someone told me that if I swim hard enough I would get to the the other side....I will buy and try and A/B ...and I will use my ears, but my ears are not as tuned to the details as some of you guys and this may be a long term thing. My ears obviously are saying to me to buy the plugins, but maybe I'm overlooking something. I don't know whether there is some holistic mojo type thing going on if you track using outboard gear and posteriorly use the plug to sculpt the sounds to your will.

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

MATT!
Old 3 weeks ago
I have an analog based studio, while there are some useful plugs in, I find the compressor and eq plugs pale compared to their analog counterparts. That's not to say you can't get a good sound with plugs, I just think the real deal sounds better.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I have an analog based studio, while there are some useful plugs in, I find the compressor and eq plugs pale compared to their analog counterparts. That's not to say you can't get a good sound with plugs, I just think the real deal sounds better.
This ^^^^^^^^. 100%.
Old 3 weeks ago
Burnley 73 is probably not neutral enough to be used everywhere. I think I remember a certain loss of low bass?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hardware is fun. But not really mandatory in 2020.
You have time and money ? Go Hardware.
You don't ? Use what you already have and get better at it.
If you really need something, you'll find by yourself.

BTW Most of the songs do not suck because of poor tracking/recording/mixing, but because of poor ideas right from the start. They were doing wonders 60 years ago with ****ty hardware, we now have 100000 times the quality they had. No compressor will stop you from doing music.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I would agree with this 100% my UAD Quad core and all plugins sold, the gear stays!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Keep the GSSL (you should have one real compressor that's not a plugin), keep two channels of boutique pres. F**k the preamp emulations. Digital saturation is digital saturation. Real preamps are real preamps. And ne'er da twain shall meet. Keep either two Neve-ish channels or two API-ish or ideally one of each. You can get great drum sounds with one mic if you try. KT LA2A not gonna be missed, if I had to guess. Inputs beyond 2 not really gonna be missed that much. You could get an Apogee Quartet if you reeeally want 4 inputs. And SSL 2+ is trash, no?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh wow, a new subject of conversation on GS!

I have some nice hardware. Love it and in a direct comparison each hardware units is superior to its plugin counterpart (up to this year at least).

....having said that.

The convenience and speed of working totaly ITB is just on another level. And if you are fast, creative and streamlined you actually often make good if not better decisions that might be more important then that 5% more quality of superior sounding x-y processors. And the quality of the plugs gets better and better.
Honestly, in 2020, if you can not obtain at least a pro sounding mix compeletely in the box (if not stellar), there is a problem, not with the tools.

The only thing that really really matters now, and will matter forver even in a complete digital world, is the front end.
So talking gear, after your source, room and mic, come your preamps.
The RME ones are clean and OK, I have used them sometimes when needed.
But having truly great preamps makes the rest of the job easier.
I believe that preamps are going to be the "last gear standing", the only outboard we will see in future studios (that will still record humans that is).

So we all love those rack units, knobs and faders. It is great to have them around and use them.
But no one should feel like they are held back because "if I had that SSL...".

So in conclusion, and sorry for being a boring old man writing too long replies, in my opinion, if you are feeling you want to eliminate something, get rid of the HW comps and EQs but keep and even expand your preamp arsenal.

My 2 cents and a half
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thanks v much everyone. A landslide in favour of hardware....maybe 500 series is another option worth exploring in that case.

I like the "get rid of comps, keep pres idea." that might be workable.

One mic drums is also intriguing.

The whole challenge of finding that minimal gear/pro quality balance is super intriguing.

In terms of mics I've got -----beyer 930 (pair)..tlm102....sm7b....MD421....a M160 (with broken ribbon :( ) and a Shure kick mic.....couple of sm57.

I was thinking in terms of keeping the Shure kick mic for kick and bass, the 930s and another utility mic for snares/vox ... not sure whether that would be the tlm or sm7b.

If it were just one mic I wouldn't know where to start.....
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
GS Haram!!! Lmaoooo someone give this kid a gold record by his Avatar.

Simply because you seem to have an affinity for live music, I’d keep an analog mindset at the very least.

What I mean is that is in my experience, the real advantage with outboard is learning the energy and vibe the transformers and tubes impart on the signal path. The EMU plugins nail the tones (to my ear) these days but not the ENERGY. The more you learn how that sounds/feels OTB, the closer you can get with ITB. I challenge myself to create my own plugin chains/settings that rival outboard in my racks, so that when I’m not at my desk I still have a taste of my core sound (even if it’s ballpark).

Full disclosure: I have a 3 racks full of outboard compression.

I mix hybrid, but have recorded/mixed successful music on a UAD with unison pres and a laptop w midi keyboard in hotels and apartments.

In no way will a a rack of outboard get between a hit and your favorite Spotify playlist. No one cares.

Michael Brauer just sold 5 racks of the most desirable outboard gear in the world (I even grabbed a piece from the historic racks).

I think that says a lot.

Personally, With this gear list your holding, I’d ditch everything but the mics, and add a REALLY great condenser, 1 (or two) top level channel strip, an 8 channel UAD w unison set up and get the ultimate bundle/waves mercury and call it a day. Might need to add a UAD satellite to add a bit of power unless you’ve got the cheese grater Mac Pro. If there is budget after all that, CL1B. Eventually I’d want 8 channels of great analog pres but could easily make due without. You prob don’t need 8 channels to record drums but recording a rhythm section live for a demo can be very useful depending on type of music

To me the above is my first choice for mobile while still staying competitive in 2020.

Last edited by Deleted 2848499; 3 weeks ago at 03:16 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZKiD View Post
GS Haram!!! Lmaoooo someone give this kid a gold record by his Avatar.

Simply because you seem to have an affinity for live music, I’d keep an analog mindset at the very least.

What I mean is that is in my experience, the real advantage with outboard is learning the energy and vibe the transformers and tubes impart on the signal path. The EMU plugins nail the tones (to my ear) these days but not the ENERGY. The more you learn how that sounds/feels OTB, the closer you can get with ITB. I challenge myself to create my own plugin chains/settings that rival outboard in my racks, so that when I’m not at my desk I still have a taste of my core sound (even if it’s ballpark).

Full disclosure: I have a 3 racks full of outboard compression.

I mix hybrid, but have recorded/mixed successful music on a UAD with unison pres and a laptop w midi keyboard in hotels and apartments.

In no way will a a rack of outboard get between a hit and your favorite Spotify playlist. No one cares.

Michael Brauer just sold 5 racks of the most desirable outboard gear in the world (I even grabbed a piece from the historic racks).

I think that says a lot.

Personally, With this gear list your holding, I’d ditch everything but the mics, and add a REALLY great condenser, 1 (or two) top level channel strip, an 8 channel UAD w unison set up and get the ultimate bundle/waves mercury and call it a day. Might need to add a UAD satellite to add a bit of power unless you’ve got the cheese grater Mac Pro. If there is budget after all that, CL1B. Eventually I’d want 8 channels of great analog pres but could easily make due without. You prob don’t need 8 channels to record drums but recording a rhythm section live for a demo can be very useful depending on type of music

To me the above is my first choice for mobile while still staying competitive in 2020.
I am no Michael Brauer and don't mix to stay competitive - I produce and mix my own music for fun.

But wow just the thought of selling of my racks kills me. That certainly takes commitment.
Look in the end of the day it does not matter what one wants to use, it will always remain a personal choice. Truth is the argument of ITB VS Hardware is just plain stupid. I am however entitled to voice what I think is better for me if one asks.

For the OP each box you will ever by in analogue/digital will always impart its own character, if its a good box its a good box. Now I would not personally waste my time with the whole OTB VS ITB what sounds better subject, it will drive you crazy.

It is okay to run some comparisons but truth is I have never tried a plugin that sounds identical to the hardware unit its trying to emulate. If you head down the plugin path just accept the plugin for what it is and make music!
If your desire is hardware go hard and buy it, enjoy it.

Just my thoughts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
I am no Michael Brauer and don't mix to stay competitive - I produce and mix my own music for fun.

But wow just the thought of selling of my racks kills me. That certainly takes commitment.
Look in the end of the day it does not matter what one wants to use, it will always remain a personal choice. Truth is the argument of ITB VS Hardware is just plain stupid. I am however entitled to voice what I think is better for me if one asks.

For the OP each box you will ever by in analogue/digital will always impart its own character, if its a good box its a good box. Now I would not personally waste my time with the whole OTB VS ITB what sounds better subject, it will drive you crazy.

It is okay to run some comparisons but truth is I have never tried a plugin that sounds identical to the hardware unit its trying to emulate. If you head down the plugin path just accept the plugin for what it is and make music!
If your desire is hardware go hard and buy it, enjoy it.

Just my thoughts.
I never stated anything about what I think sounds better.

Also disclosed that I have lots of outboard. In no way am I starting an argument here, I'm simply stating my personal view on the topic.

If I wasn’t using analog for the past 10+ years, I might not commit to going that route as hard as I have in today's climate. I also have a Neve console, etc I'm not here to flex, my point is I have very good reason for analog bias . I'm not really even hinting at my preference on ITB/OTB

My point was coming from a place of experience, and what I feel is practical, not one of being argumentative. If I were starting on a path into this as a career or hobby today, I'd consider starting with a few critical analog pieces (particularly focused on front end) and as you said, get on with making music and using plugins... because from my viewpoint the future is not OTB. Getting good at learning how to get analogish sounds ITB is a very useful and valuable tool today. Thats all, just one persons opinion and nothing else, and wasn't in any way being combative or attacking any other post or even considering the opinions of other posts here, so please don't take it personal.

I don't sit and compare my plugins to outboard to see which sounds better. I use plugins to get me as close to my analog gear as possible so that while I am traveling, or if I'm booked at a another studio with different gear, my clients don't have to wait for me to turnaround work. Its just a speed tactic and nothing else. The reality is, I rely on this for my job and clients waiting until I get back to my racks, my comfort zone, or for any other reason isn't a luxury of my personal experience. The ITB vs OTB argument is what it is, and you'll hear no judgement from me one way or the other.

To OP, its really about your intentions with this gear and balancing that with what makes you happy. You have many opinions here, I wouldn't take any of them too seriously including my own.

Last edited by Deleted 2848499; 3 weeks ago at 05:41 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never stated anything about what I think sounds better.

Also disclosed that I have lots of outboard. In no way am I starting an argument here, I'm simply stating my personal view on the topic.

If I wasn't in my mid 30's having used analog for 10+ years, I might not commit to going that route as hard as I have in today's climate. I also have a Neve console, etc I'm not here to flex, my point is I have very good reason for analog bias . I'm not really even hinting at my preference on ITB/OTB

My point was coming from a place of experience, and what I feel is practical, not one of being argumentative. If I were starting on a path into this as a career or hobby today, I'd consider starting with a few critical analog pieces (particularly focused on front end) and as you said, get on with making music and using plugins... because from my viewpoint the future is not OTB. Getting good at learning how to get analogish sounds ITB is a very useful and valuable tool today. Thats all, just one persons opinion and nothing else, and wasn't in any way being combative or attacking any other post or even considering the opinions of other posts here, so please don't take it personal.

I don't sit and compare my plugins to outboard to see which sounds better. I use plugins to get me as close to my analog gear as possible so that while I am traveling, or if I'm booked at a another studio with different gear, my clients don't have to wait for me to turnaround work. Its just a speed tactic and nothing else. The reality is, I rely on this for my job and clients waiting until I get back to my racks, my comfort zone, or for any other reason isn't a luxury of my personal experience. The ITB vs OTB argument is what it is, and you'll hear no judgement from me one way or the other.

To OP, its really about your intentions with this gear and balancing that with what makes you happy. You have many opinions here, I wouldn't take any of them too seriously including my own.
My apologies, I should have stated clearly that I was not referring to you

I was simply talking in general.
I actually think your post made allot of sense.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
My apologies, I should have stated clearly that I was not referring to you

I was simply talking in general.
I actually think your post made allot of sense.
No offense taken, I just wanted to be clear on what I meant in case you misunderstood, but actually I misunderstood you lol.

I agree with you, the thought of selling all my racks is not something I’m willing to entertain, at least not yet! Some of that stuff may stay long after it’s useful.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No offense taken, I just wanted to be clear on what I meant in case you misunderstood, but actually I misunderstood you lol.

I agree with you, the thought of selling all my racks is not something I’m willing to entertain, at least not yet! Some of that stuff may stay long after it’s useful.
Yes I agree, regardless of the advancement in plugins, I just cant and not likely to sell my hardware. It's years of purchases.

And yes you certainly don't need racks of gear to make decent sounding music today. I like to use my hardware to differentiate my sound somewhat.
I find certain pieces give me the sound I desire.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i don't get the 'discussion': use a multichannel preamp/converter to convert to digital as soon as you can and never leave the digital domain anymore - end of 'discussion'.

has been working pretty well for ca. 25 years now...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
use a multichannel preamp/converter to convert to digital as soon as you can and never leave the digital domain anymore - end of 'discussion'.
Ahh that just begins my discussion. Staying digital? Not gonna happen here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
i don't get the 'discussion': use a multichannel preamp/converter to convert to digital as soon as you can and never leave the digital domain anymore - end of 'discussion'.

has been working pretty well for ca. 25 years now...
I hear ya Deedee. For those seeking which path to take as they are learning and growing, it may be worth the discussion still. The choice really comes down to habits, what you already know, and are willing to learn. Perhaps a little nostalgia and what we have time for plays into this as well.

It is funny/ironic to those that have been doing this professionally through the transition of analog to digital, I understand where you're coming from.

I have a client that prefers 100% ITB mixes for speed and being mobile, but absolutely demands that every music video is shot to analog film...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Ahh that just begins my discussion. Staying digital? Not gonna happen here.
additional/unnecessary conversion across dozens of tracks?! not gonna happen here...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
additional/unnecessary conversion across dozens of tracks?! not gonna happen here...
Oh it's VERY necessary for me. Plug ins won't get me where I want to go, and even if they get close, it's takes so much longer. If it SOUNDS better after half dozen extra conversions on a track to add what I want....

it IS better.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Oh it's VERY necessary for me. Plug ins won't get me where I want to go, and even if they get close, it's takes so much longer. If it SOUNDS better after half dozen extra conversions on a track to add what I want....

it IS better.
And there you have it folks, sunglasses and all.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
it's conversion + hardware effect vs plugin effect. if you really think the hardware is never beating the plugin, ok. but i know eric valentine failed a blind test on a pure sound vs that same sound through 20 round trips of his antelope converters. not sure what that means for me and my duet, but like drBill said, i don't have to know. the comparison is always involving the hardware itself and the actual plugin alternative to that effect. sometimes the plugin wins.

oddly, it ends up not being about the main purpose of the processing (the actual compression, e.g.) but more about which tonal side effects are better. and plugins seem to share a lot of the same tonal side effects across the board. but that assessment could be total bias.

the real thing i'd be frowning about is being forced down to 24-bit for i/o. even with a nice dither, it's still a bigger deal to me than the DAC part. and the resulting ADC i don't worry about at all. maybe i have my priorities wrong there, too, but idk. just my thought process.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...)The choice really comes down to habits, what you already know, and are willing to learn. Perhaps a little nostalgia and what we have time for plays into this as well.

It is funny/ironic to those that have been doing this professionally through the transition of analog to digital, I understand where you're coming from.

I have a client that prefers 100% ITB mixes for speed and being mobile, but absolutely demands that every music video is shot to analog film...
no sure if it's habits, it may also make sense from a financial point of view (if someone got tons of analog outboard or wants to attract a very specific clientele etc.) but imo not at all in terms of 'sound', certainly not when working with signals stemming from acoustic/non amplified instruments!

analog summing (and therefore the necessity to leave the digital domain) imo has been the biggest joke in recent years/decades...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
analog summing (and therefore the necessity to leave the digital domain) imo has been the biggest joke in recent years/decades...
I'm not "summing" analog. We might tend to agree on that. I'm summing ITB and inserting hardware on inserts into PTHDX.

As far as the plugins vs. hardware....

I have specifically chosen a lot of hardware for it's unique sound, and specific workflow / application for my musical taste. At least 50% of those pieces have no plugin emulations, and therefore no replacement ITB.

Even so, I don't know of a single 2a or 76 plug that makes me feel as good about the sonics as ANY of my hardware options.

So.....to each his own.... b
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Here they did 500 round trips on relatively budget interfaces:

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish View Post
but i know eric valentine failed a blind test on a pure sound vs that same sound through 20 round trips of his antelope converters.
Yeah, I go in and out how ever many times I need to. I have noticed no apparent "conversion" artifacts. What I do notice is the analog goodness that my outboard brings to the table So...Conversions + Outboard = WIN/WIN for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

it IS better.
not for me: since getting a fairlight in '86, it dawned on me that the analog days would be over soon - glad i got off analog tape tape in the early 90's and switched to digital desks/digital outboard in the early 2000's.

i'm with you that conversion has come a loooong way but what gets overlooked imo is the 'integrity' of the signal as friend if mine calls it: the spectral balance is mostly ok-ish (if not overly shrill) these days but the 'body' imo mostly falls apart, pretty much the same way as if you're feeding a signal to a selfpowered plastic box: it sounds as if the box is going to explode/falls apart

anyway, i sold (almost) all my analog gear of my last remaining analig studio earlier this year...
...and got another digital desk! :-)

Quote:
I' (...) I don't know of a single 2a or 76 plug that makes me feel as good about the sonics as ANY of my hardware options.

So.....to each his own....
i dunno of any either (what's a plugin btw?) but the thing is i dont want to emulated 1176's, la2a's etc. - i much prefer my digital weiss, jünger, studer comps!

but yeah, to each his own! - i'm glad we agree on the 'merits' of analog summing... lol
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
no sure if it's habits, it may also make sense from a financial point of view (if someone got tons of analog outboard or wants to attract a very specific clientele etc.) but imo not at all in terms of 'sound', certainly not when working with signals stemming from acoustic/non amplified instruments!

I've been using my Neve channel strips as hardware inserts and coming back in off the direct out since 64 bit summing. I couldn't agree more.

Maybe its a habit of tradition. I was mentored by great engineers some of who were LCR mixers spending hours in mono, the whole traditional analog shebang. Its a miracle I've come as far as I have into digital, but now I'm grateful for the industry holding a carrot in front of my face as I enter the fully digital realm.

I've been using plugins on mixes since about 2005, its no different than analog to me at this point. They are equal in value but not equal in function. There have been GREAT advancements, but Renaissance plugs are still on almost every hit mix I look at .

To my ears, its the transformers and tubes. Its a feeling of energy that I get from the analog, I'm not hearing the same equivalent in digital YET. There's a few that are getting very close. I should find some benign audio and do a which is the real 176 vs the UAD 176, as I've gotten them VERY close, but they look entirely different in terms of settings.

All this said, if you aren't A B ing, you'd never know the difference. I can hear digital aspects of modern recordings, but couldn't tell you which uses ALL plugins and which had some hardware inserts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
not for me: since getting a fairlight in '86, it dawned on me that the analog days would be over soon - glad i got off analog tape tape in the early 90's and switched to digital desks/digital outboard in the early 2000's.

i'm with you that conversion has come a loooong way but what gets overlooked imo is the 'integrity' of the signal as friend if mine calls it: the spectral balance is mostly ok-ish (if not overly shrill) these days but the 'body' imo mostly falls apart, pretty much the same way as if you're feeding a signal to a selfpowered plastic box: it sounds as if the box is going to explode/falls apart

anyway, i sold (almost) all my analog gear of my last remaining analig studio earlier this year...

p.s. what's a plugin?
Maybe time to upgrade those converters? Seriously, I can't tell the difference after several round trips with zero analog added. If you can, you've either got substandard conversion for 2020 or mega golden ears. For me, that first conversion from the analog world to digital is what degrades the most. After that....what's gone is gone, and going back out to analog gear brings more back than it takes away.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:

p.s. what's a plugin?
SSL C200 was IME a joy to work on.
📝 Reply