The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alternative preamp to Avalon 737 and Apollo x8p
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Alternative preamp to Avalon 737 and Apollo x8p

Hi Folks,
After watching and reading so many interesting threads I'd like to ask you guys before doing my next studio upgrade:
My current vocal setup is either with a Brauner VM1 or Slate ML1 into a Avalon - 737 or the Unsion Apollo x8p
now with some sibillant and slightly harsh female singers I kind of have the feeling of making it even worse with the Avalon.

Now my question - is it worth considering adding an additional hardware preamp like AMS Neve 1073 and/or adding a darker Microphone type like an U87ai... or even something different? Budget ~4000$

Thanks in advance :-)

Dominik
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargo33 View Post
Hi Folks,
After watching and reading so many interesting threads I'd like to ask you guys before doing my next studio upgrade:
My current vocal setup is either with a Brauner VM1 or Slate ML1 into a Avalon - 737 or the Unsion Apollo x8p
now with some sibillant and slightly harsh female singers I kind of have the feeling of making it even worse with the Avalon.

Now my question - is it worth considering adding an additional hardware preamp like AMS Neve 1073 and/or adding a darker Microphone type like an U87ai... or even something different? Budget ~4000$

Thanks in advance :-)

Dominik
Are you using the slate software with the ML1?

This microphone will almost always sound off kilter/harsh if you just plug it up to a preamp and go as it is actually tuned as a reference/measurement microphone meant to interact with software mic emulations that effect the curve in not subtle ways.

For best results, it is recommended to use the slate pre to accommodate the microphone + software, although in your shoes the Apollo pres will probably yield similar/fine results, but not without the slate software running.

If you are using it above as stated the Avalon wouldn’t be part of the equation. If you can’t get a smooth sound out of the Avalon with a different mic (not my favorite pre but not what I would describe as hard or sibilant by any means) it’s probably not the preamp unless something is wrong with it. The Avalon has plenty of flexibility to be adjusted to taste, and has been on quite a few major records.

It sounds like to me you’re due for a mic that pairs well with the Avalon. U87 is not a bad start (and often paired with the Avalon), although for the money, and depending on your experience there are many others that will yield very similar results for much less budget.

My suggestion would be to use the slate software and shoot out mic emulations until you find which microphone best suits your taste for the singer(s) you work with and find something similar.

You may find the the Slate + Software serves your needs well, or confirm it’s not what you are looking for and move on.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZKiD View Post
Are you using the slate software with the ML1?

This microphone will almost always sound off kilter/harsh if you just plug it up to a preamp and go as it is actually tuned as a reference/measurement microphone meant to interact with software mic emulations that effect the curve in not subtle ways.

For best results, it is recommended to use the slate pre to accommodate the microphone + software, although in your shoes the Apollo pres will probably yield similar/fine results, but not without the slate software running.

If you are using it above as stated the Avalon wouldn’t be part of the equation. If you can’t get a smooth sound out of the Avalon with a different mic (not my favorite pre but not what I would describe as hard or sibilant by any means) it’s probably not the preamp unless something is wrong with it. The Avalon has plenty of flexibility to be adjusted to taste, and has been on quite a few major records.

It sounds like to me you’re due for a mic that pairs well with the Avalon. U87 is not a bad start (and often paired with the Avalon), although for the money, and depending on your experience there are many others that will yield very similar results for much less budget.

My suggestion would be to use the slate software and shoot out mic emulations until you find which microphone best suits your taste for the singer(s) you work with and find something similar.

You may find the the Slate + Software serves your needs well, or confirm it’s not what you are looking for and move on.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I‘m also using the slate pre and i‘m getting good results with the emulations but quite often it requires lots of editing to taim sibilance.
Sounds very interesting what you tell about pairing a mic with the Avalon - what would you suggest as a good alround mic in combination?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

IMHO with a $4K budget, on the cheaper side of the fence would be looking at stuff like... Beesneez 87/UT 47 FET/TLM 193/(Don't laugh) Oktava 319/Blue Baby Bottle.

If you feel the need to attract business-nice used U87ai. If not.... The flatter U89i or mellower (than AI) TLM 67.
Bock Soundelux U99 and Tonelux JC 37 are two more smoothies.

Slighty over your budget, but the Manley Silver is another awesome mic.
Chris
P.S. A Ribbon is another approach. AEA R84 for good room. 44 for great. KU5a for any! (well almost )
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
IMHO with a $4K budget, on the cheaper side of the fence would be looking at stuff like... Beesneez 87/UT 47 FET/TLM 193/(Don't laugh) Oktava 319/Blue Baby Bottle.

If you feel the need to attract business-nice used U87ai. If not.... The flatter U89i or mellower (than AI) TLM 67.
Bock Soundelux U99 and Tonelux JC 37 are two more smoothies.
This is about as good of mic advice as you're gonna get anywhere. I can do damage with any one of them. If you don't have a quality condenser, I personally would start there.

I recently sold a u87AI to make room for a pair of the Beesneez 87's (Disclosure: I have a few other Neumanns like 67s). The Manley Ref Cardioid can be amazing for modern vocals.
📝 Reply