The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OK Boomers what MODERN POP song(s) do you LOVE?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

thosebandswastedalotoftimecapitalizingtheirnames
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
You @ WiZKiD "get it" regarding Hip Hop and what it has done for many.
Thanks. Being the quiet "whitish" kid in all the Hiphop sessions the past 15 years has done more for me than I could express.

Hiphop pulled me off the streets. That's what people don't get.

When doctors and lawyers get their $$ they move to the burbs. The only people coming back to the bad neighborhoods to give to the community are ball players and musicians/rappers. Who else did we have to look up to?

A lot of my comments here are me simply relaying the information Hiphop has blessed me with. So credit where it is due goes to the The Teacha.

I'm not a big talker outside of here.

Last edited by Deleted 2848499; 2 weeks ago at 08:51 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZKiD View Post
These classical composers were the product of philanthropy, religious patrons, state run ceremonies, and basically the results of elitists "showing off". They were hardly able to express themselves. Considering that, the quality of work is astonishing but should be considering they mostly weren't allowed to use their voice (on any level) and had no recording technology. As a function in culture and society, their patrons were the Joseph Goebbels (propagandists) of their time!

They basically bounced around from Count to Archbishop, wherever they could pick up the scraps the elitists were willing to feed them. But express yourself and you'd get kicked to the curb.

None of these folks you mentioned made it their life goal to liberate women, stop cultural genocide, oppression, or any amount of real revolutionary cultural and social benefit.

Mozart created amazing movements and composed incredible symphonies. On paper, Mozart was technically amazing... but culturally? A travesty.

These are the songs played while ships embarked on missions to snatch slaves from their families on other continents.

See the issue is that kids these days are just a bit more....culturally aware, and in 400 years, I'm betting the kids will remember the Classical Period for that just like they do today.

That's slave master music...no matter how good it is. Great for studying though!

It came from the era of "dancing conjures up evil". Secular words on music is "the work of the devil". This is the music that was heavily used to seduce people into forced worship against their will.

Is there really a consensus that the cultural world of music peaked when Europe was at pinnacle genocide levels?

As a child of political refugees from the middle east (Grandfather was pro Football player and was attacked/bombed because it was "Haram" to play soccer), I have experienced the liberation of what many cannot fathom music could do for culture, women and oppression. The only music that did that for the world was Hiphop.

So I am just gonna flat out say, its NOT AT ALL the same language. Its not even the same tuning. The only similar thing is vibration of sound.

In 400 years Bill Gates will be known for curing the world of Malaria and other diseases, not for being the founder of Microsoft. Similarly, no one cares if somebody wrote a good song. What did they do with that platform?

The Beatles did a whole lot, and that's why they are respected by everyone.

In 400 years, KRS ONE will be known for freeing the minds of entire an entire generation. He taught us that Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone before he ever "rapped" a lyric. He's taught me more about life on the streets of the world, than all the classical composers, and rock and roll artists combined. I understand that is just a personal experience, and his music is partly the homogenization of all the previous music types...

The Classical artists were great at music though, just like Germans were great at making microphones. I guess when your life depends on it, or you get killed by a vicious dictator, that may be a motivating factor. That fact is hardly something to celebrate. It wasn't until Pop music spread love all over the world that those mics became useful beyond propaganda and killing folks.

Here's an example of another child of political refugees putting her music and head on the line in the name of cultural liberation and women's rights (thanks to Hiphop). If you can't stand the music, mute the video there's some very important cultural imagery, and very little (if any) cultural appropriation going on here, they've taken Hiphop and turned into something entirely their own. This imagery was unthinkable 25 years ago in the middle east (again thank you Hiphop):

i truly appreciate you were taking some time to express your view on some topics (and hiphop specifically), i really do.

however, with every of our posts (not only in this thread) it becomes more clear that we do not have much in common in terms of our mind-set, world outlook and interpretation of (musical) history.

apart from mentioning some artists, literally the only sentence in your previous post which i wouldn't critique is: "I understand that is just a personal experience"

i therefore suggest we better part ways here - shall the force be with you!

dd
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i truly appreciate you were taking some time to express your view on some topics (and hiphop specifically), i really do.

however, with every of our posts (not only in this thread) it becomes more clear that we do not have much in common in terms of our mind-set, world outlook and interpretation of (musical) history.

apart from mentioning some artists, literally the only sentence in your previous post which i wouldn't critique is: "I understand that is just a personal experience"

i therefore suggest we better part ways here - shall the force be with you!

dd
Understood. I'd love to hear your thoughts/critiques if you ever are willing to share.

I thought you might also agree that it's great to study classical music.

Have a great one DD, just so you know the feeling of disparity between our "mindsets" is only in one direction. I think it's a bit of an exaggeration that every one of our posts are too different to find middle ground. I enjoy these topics, and there are quite a few posts where I am reinforcing your views, or the other way around. I am always looking forward to seeing your take on topics even if it is very different from mine.

There is always more to learn.

Hope you can accept my apology if I have offended yo in any way. Let's get the thread back on topic.

Last edited by Deleted 2848499; 2 weeks ago at 07:19 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As @ WiZKiD a Black female who aspires to make Hip Hop I'd have liked to have been in a session w/someone like you as I'm egoless and we probably would have gotten along as I lack the stereotypes of a "rapper."
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
... as far as afrobeat is concerned, look it up - and travel to the area where the music comes from and where it found its expression...
Being there counts for a lot. Same with beer. In LA, Red Stripe sucks, but in Kingston it's perfect.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Being there counts for a lot. Same with beer. In LA, Red Stripe sucks, but in Kingston it's perfect.
i can hear you! (and i'm sure SamC would have too...)

i'm not much into beer* (and hence i'm not getting why 'corona' is suddendly struggeling?) but i assume i experience something similar when in france, italy, spain, portugal or greece local wine is perfect...

...as long as one does not drink any at home, after successfully smuggling a can (or two) past customs!

* even before i had one of my studios right above a brewery (true story)!
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
As @ WiZKiD a Black female who aspires to make Hip Hop I'd have liked to have been in a session w/someone like you as I'm egoless and we probably would have gotten along as I lack the stereotypes of a "rapper."
That is very kind of you to say. I'm not here to show off or get work, I really felt like I should credit him because he has taught me so much and some of those words were directly from him... Not just in person, but online. I would consume as much information from those type of artists as possible. There are many gems in his videos online. He is unquestionably the blueprint of being in your genre in this industry. Him and Lauren Hill, but her come up was different. The real ones like them share that blueprint. I would be happy to listen and give you any thoughts I may have. Thanks again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

part one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 2848499 View Post
Understood. I'd love to hear your thoughts/critiques if you ever are willing to share.
not on this topic, sorry... - on other topics, sure!
Quote:
I thought you might also agree that it's great to study classical music.
touché - missed out on that one...

Quote:
I enjoy these topics, and there are quite a few posts where I am reinforcing your views, or the other way around. I am always looking forward to seeing your take on topics even if it is very different from mine.
so do i - maybe our age, background, upbringing, education, experience, interest etc. has led us to much different paths, i dunno - to overcome further misunderstandings or radically different interpretations, i fear we'd need to illustrate, define and differentiate between dozens of topics - i'm reluctant doing so (besides: as a non-native english speaking person, i'm struggling to precisely express some of my thoughts and my french ist't much better, sorry)...

Quote:
Hope you can accept my apology if I have offended yo in any way.
i don't feel offended and there's nothing for which you need to apologize: it's just that...

[sorry, phone call i need to take - i'll get back to you assp]
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Put @ deedeeyeah me on to some Black classical music and some afrobeat first and I'll go from there.
Black Bach

(My boi lamont)

Tony Allen, fela
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

part two

...it's just that, amongst other things, you're accusing classical composers of not having lived up the standards you seem to value and make them look as if they were nothing but compliant agents of dark rulers...

(i'll quote but a few excerpts)
Quote:
None of these folks you mentioned made it their life goal to liberate women, stop cultural genocide, oppression, or any amount of real revolutionary cultural and social benefit.

Mozart created amazing movements and composed incredible symphonies. On paper, Mozart was technically amazing... but culturally? A travesty.

That's slave master music...
...while at the same time you're praising some more recent and/or current-day artists for their unique and pioneering achievements far beyond their music!

(to illustrate, i quote but some excerpts again)
Quote:
It wasn't until Pop music spread love all over the world that those mics became useful beyond propaganda and killing folks.

there's (...) very little (if any) cultural appropriation going on.

Here's an example of another child of political refugees putting her music and head on the line in the name of cultural liberation and women's rights (thanks to Hiphop)
___

i really don't know how one can arrive at such a distorted interpretation of history that has no basis and does not stand up to critical examination in the slightest... - no signal, all noise!

for a reality check, i suggest you post an exact copy of the incriminated post in the remote/location recording forum or even better in academic circles; please report back if someone takes the trouble to go through your unfounded assertion point by point and what is left of it afterwards!

___

i'm not sure if you are familiar with the life and work of 'gesualdo', a privileged nobleman who out of jealousy murdered his wife and her lover - but never had to atone for it and spent the rest of his life composing some music in a castle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Gesualdo

am i right that, according to your logic, you think he must have been a terrible man whose music is insignificant or overrated, therefore would be better forgotten and which fades in the face of the musical, social and political achievements of modern artists such as m.i.a., krs-one, et al. whom you hold in high esteem?
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
...it's just that, amongst other things, you're accusing classical composers of not having lived up the standards you seem to value and make them look as if they were nothing but compliant agents of dark rulers...
Fair enough DD, my intention is not to accuse them of anything but being complicit / of a culture that performed some very heinous deeds, and that in part is culturally related to the music. I'm not so sure those slaves under the decks were jamming to that classical the way the Privateers were... That was more my point. Classical was culturally effective in a very small part of the world in its day, it wasn't until much later that people recognized the genius on a meaningful level. And it has become VERY meaningful culturally, but we aren't celebrating dreadful events with it anymore.

Quote:
i really don't know how one can arrive at such a distorted interpretation of history that has no basis and does not stand up to critical examination in the slightest... - no signal, all noise!
I am also part German, (Other Grandfather immigrated right before wwii and fixed x ray machines for the Allies because he he was an engineer and could read the manual). It is my understanding that Neumann, Volkswagen, and Telefunken history is very much intertwined with the third reich. To what point (please educate me) but we do know some of the technologies were funded, and used by the dictator who shall not be named. The original Neumann product the CMV3 was specifically used and preferred for public addresses and communications. They were very serious about their communications.

Is this the ONLY thing those mics were used for, no. But as I said, it wasn't until these mics were used by pop artists all over the world (without going deeper into neumann history) that there was a cultural meaning to them beyond the "h*&*34 Bottle".

Quote:
i'm not sure if you are familiar with the life and work of 'gesualdo', a privileged nobleman who out of jealousy murdered his wife and her lover - but never had to atone for it and spent the rest of his life composing some music in a castle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Gesualdo

am i right that, according to your logic, you think he must have been a terrible man whose music is insignificant or overrated, therefore would be better forgotten and which fades in the face of the musical, social and political achievements of modern artists such as m.i.a., krs-one, et al. whom you hold in high esteem?
I don't hold any grudge against your man here. Thanks for linking some stuff for me to check out. There is nothing "insignificant" at all about classical music. Not one bit, and I tried to express how incredible these composers were/are. But again, the way we emotionally attach ourselves to that music is in this amazing modern world in first world countries. In those days, people were culturally doing some very dark things. The music is culturally related to that.

My main point was, my grandfather was born in a war torn mud hut in a third world country. Here I am playing in pro tools mixing a modern jazz record today in America two generations later. All because Hiphop happened. In real time. That's amazing. When my 97 year old pops comes and visits me, and sees my studio and what I do and the life my kids have, he cries. Every time. Before it burnt out, we had 10 acres in Malibu to play on. That is something real, and tangible and also not something I would consider insignificant.

Last edited by Deleted 2848499; 2 weeks ago at 06:17 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lots of interesting thought provoking/intelligent posts, I'll catch up on. this weekend.

D's posts too.
(there goes my future U67!)

Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

tori amos
little earthquakes was a great album.

she was evil live, just her and a grand piano.

the girl could surely play.

Buddha
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
little earthquakes was a great album.

she was evil live, just her and a grand piano.

the girl could surely play.

Buddha
oh yes!

___

fun story:

part 1 - i was thinking about asking her drummer whether he'd be interested in getting an endorsement deal when i was working for the well-known swiss cymbal manufacturer in the 90's so i contacted tori's managment (via her record company iirc) and asked whether i could either invite him to show the factory or come to soundcheck with a bunch of cymbals...

took a few days before the management company answered by fax (yes, fax back then...) and in which they kindly thanked for the offer: soundcheck wouldn't be possible but coming to the factory would be great albeit the next day (which obviously was a day off then); they were also asking how many free tickets i'd liked to get and for sure there shall be a meet-and-greet after the show, again without how many people i ever wanted to bring along...

two things were a bit suspicious: usually after initial contact via management, it was mostly the drummer getting back to me (except for some very large productions when management didn't know that my company's contact might go further back for years and decades). the other thing was that with ticket prices already being much higher in the 90's, i did try to keep things reasonable/costs down and would usually not max out free tickets although i mostly got offered another backstage pass, provided that the guest would know how to behave).

anyway, all the girls/ladies in the office went crazy so i answered that i'd bring along all six of them - we got some of the best seats but when the curtain gor lifted...

...it dawned on us that this was solo concert tour! :-)

nevertheless, concert was great and we were having a blast when meeting here afterwards; especially her tour manager who couldn't stop laughing for 'tricking us' into all of this!

___

part 2 - the next day, i was busy in a morning meeting when i was informed that someone would be waiting outside the factory's office building, asking for me - pretty much to my surprise as after the concert the previous evening, i of course did no longer expect tori's or any other drummer showing up that day?!

well, it was tori! :-) this time, the girls/ladies in the office got jealous when i announced that i wouldn't be showing her the cymbal manufacturing but parts of switzerland - and so, off we went and spent a beautiful day high up in the alps!

true stoy - thanx tori!

p.s. i did meet her drummer on a next tour: great drummer and nice bloke but he had no intentions to leave 'his' cymbal company at the time...

p.p.s. on all tours (and on some albums), i wish there would have been other pople engineering though...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 02:02 PM.. Reason: p.s. and p.p.s. added
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh yes! fun story:

well, it was tori! :-) this time, the girls/ladies in the office got jealous when i announced that i wouldn't be showing her the cymbal manufacturing but parts of switzerland - and so, off we went and spent a beautiful day high up in the alps!

true stoy - thanx tori!
ha ha. great story. excellent stuff.

my girlfriend at the time played Little Earthquakes endlessly, so when Tori toured she DICTATED that i take the night off from the studio (unheard of back then) and we both had to go together.

it was a great concert. she is a masterfull musician, with lyrics and attitude as well.

wonderful live performer. i bet you had a great day in the Alps. WOW...

Buddha
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
ha ha. great story. excellent stuff.

my girlfriend at the time played Little Earthquakes endlessly, so when Tori toured she DICTATED that i take the night off from the studio (unheard of back then) and we both had to go together.

it was a great concert. she is a masterfull musician, with lyrics and attitude as well.

wonderful live performer. i bet you had a great day in the Alps. WOW...

Buddha
she wasn't the only artist with whom i went up to the mountains...

[often in clear contradiction to their contractual provisions (as threre are some risks associated with skiing); luckily this only once led to the rather embarrassing situation in which I had to replace the drummer for some shows because he twisted a bone!]

...but more importantly, she in some strange ways reminds me of an artist with whom i got to work but for whatever reason i forgot to mention so far and who i think was both ahead of the curve (whisper voice) but also also deeply rooted in the music/style of days long gone (flower power):

heather nova!

___

(@ chris: i assume you're asking about pop music and not necessarily popular music?)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

on modern societies...

i'd ike to address a tangential topic which i think we've been struggeling to sort out in this thread so far...

(and although i don't agree with kid's view on things, i acknowledge he's made me thinking about things a bit - so thx for this!)

...and it's got to do with our societies, behaviourism and politics - here goes (snowflakes beware: white old angry man/old world/post colonial/neo-elitist/pseudo philosophical/political geek speech alert):

___

the tolerance of seemingly liberal or progessive actors of our society is essentially repressive since it marginalizes real opposition!

the emancipated of our day (to stick with a somewhat nicer term than i think would be appropriate) have learned from their victory over the repressive tolerance of the old liberal bourgeoisie or authoritarian regime that only rigid intolerance is capable of securing power and dominating the (pre-)political space of discourse: their point is that they pass this intolerance off as tolerance (or do not even bother to hypocrite intolerance)...

they therefore counter their political opponents with consistent exclusion, discreditation, targeted delegitimization and all techniques of opinion making. the authoritarian character has not disappeared as a result of the social transformation processes of recent decades; it has merely adopted anti-authoritarian rhetoric and turned it into its opposite.

this intolerance of the neo-authoritarian coercive character threatens to become a danger not only for free speech but for democracy, precisely because it acts as its defender!? but when democracy is defended by un********ic means and tolerance by intolerance, central achievements of the enlightenment such as freedom and autonomy are sacrificed on the altar of the political zeitgeist.

rise up against this un-spirit of neo-puritanism and neo-authoritarianism! a retreat into the circle of like-minded people won't do...

___

okay, back to gonzo style:

keep on rocking in the free world!

(emphasis on 'rock': i doubt 'pop' or 'rap' will do...)

it'd love to continue a discussion on specific pop artists, tunes (and effects of pop music in general if chris is into stretching a bit beyond the original the topic?) - on the above mentioned issues, not so much...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'd ike to address a tangential topic which i think we've been struggeling to sort out in this thread so far...

(and although i don't agree with kid's view on things, i acknowledge he's made me thinking about things a bit - so thx for this!)

...and it's got to do with our societies, behaviourism and politics - here goes (snowflakes beware: white old angry man/old world/post colonial/neo-elitist/pseudo philosophical/political geek speech alert):

___

the tolerance of seemingly liberal or progessive actors of our society is essentially repressive since it marginalizes real opposition!

the emancipated of our day (to stick with a somewhat nicer term than i think would be appropriate) have learned from their victory over the repressive tolerance of the old liberal bourgeoisie or authoritarian regime that only rigid intolerance is capable of securing power and dominating the (pre-)political space of discourse: their point is that they pass this intolerance off as tolerance (or do not even bother to hypocrite intolerance)...

they therefore counter their political opponents with consistent exclusion, discreditation, targeted delegitimization and all techniques of opinion making. the authoritarian character has not disappeared as a result of the social transformation processes of recent decades; it has merely adopted anti-authoritarian rhetoric and turned it into its opposite.

this intolerance of the neo-authoritarian coercive character threatens to become a danger not only for free speech but for democracy, precisely because it acts as its defender!? but when democracy is defended by un********ic means and tolerance by intolerance, central achievements of the enlightenment such as freedom and autonomy are sacrificed on the altar of the political zeitgeist.

rise up against this un-spirit of neo-puritanism and neo-authoritarianism! a retreat into the circle of like-minded people won't do...

___

okay, back to gonzo style:

keep on rocking in the free world!

(emphasis on 'rock': i doubt 'pop' or 'rap' will do...)

it'd love to continue a discussion on specific pop artists, tunes (and effects of pop music in general if chris is into stretching a bit beyond the original the topic?) - on the above mentioned issues, not so much...
Huh?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ipCKIxdHTs

hey dee dee yeah. just had to listen to Tori Amos song Crucify again.

made me smile. still impressive.

Buddha
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ipCKIxdHTs

hey dee dee yeah. just had to listen to Tori Amos song Crucify again.

made me smile. still impressive.

Buddha
hm,

i'm pretty sure there's a different mix on the cd i got back then - gotta hit her up (and everyone else i went skiing)!

cheers,

dd

p.s. kinda strange to revisit some old music/connecting with people again you have met half a lifetime ago...

...although some of these reunions are just great: i didn't get to see/hear will kennedy in ages but got to mix a few of yellowjackets's shows last year: what a blast!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 03:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 2 weeks ago
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
So it's less about the actual music?

I would say it is more like masturbation than actual lovemaking...

God, I hated Coldplay, Linkin Park and all that crap back then, but it has only gotten worse. Feels phony.
I too have noted an increased focus on overall vibe and production in modern music as nd33 says. To me this is not a show-stopper for good pop music.

Interestingly, pop artists in our boomer generation were sometimes panned for being too self-indulgent, complex and introspective. We enjoyed a very brief creative era; popular music before and after the late 60s / early 70s is generally simpler and more accessible. Think doo wop, and later disco/dance.

70s classic rock gave way to disco and dance during the mid-70s. I and others rebelled by listening to heady prog and jazz fusion, then delighted when new wave emerged around 1980. But during the disco era, while songs like “More More More” (Andrea True Connection) showcased vibe and production, bands like Earth, Wind and Fire offered insanely good musicianship. The Bee Gees likewise focused their deep talent on creating a unique, marketable sound.

I believe this can also be said for today’s pop artists in a number genres: Musicianship matters whether the product is a vibe or a deeply personal message.

Sky
Old 2 weeks ago
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, i can't help it: my heroes were gentle giant, jethro tull, king crimson - so more kinda (prog) rock than pop artists!

other bands/artists of interest - apart from folks active in marginal sports such as jazz and classical (and especially early music) - were anything from hendrix to mahavishnu orchestra, corea, hancock and wheather report to jeff beck and zeppelin; add colosseum, gong, elp, uk, holdsworth, metheny/mays; on the more 'popular' side genesis, pink floyd, santana, neville brothers, little feat and many, many more...

...but pop?! - someone pls tell me if i missed something!

p.s. wait: is steely dan 'pop'?
Reminiscing, I can name a few pop bands that pulled me out of my prog rock and jazz fusion dependence: Missing Persons, early Oingo Boingo, the Fixx, Tears For Fears. All had a nice convergence of songwriting, musicianship and production.

Sheryl Crow wowed me. Today I hear artists like Your Smith who do well in a similar style. Kate Bush was great, as is Lydia Ainsworth today.

Sky
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

My absolute favourite from the last years, I produce techno, in sparetime listen to 50s up to 80s Classics or Synth Wave Stuff when relaxing but this Piece is great and im absolutly not into black music or rap ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
I too have noted an increased focus on overall vibe and production in modern music as nd33 says. To me this is not a show-stopper for good pop music.

Interestingly, pop artists in our boomer generation were sometimes panned for being too self-indulgent, complex and introspective. We enjoyed a very brief creative era; popular music before and after the late 60s / early 70s is generally simpler and more accessible. Think doo wop, and later disco/dance.

70s classic rock gave way to disco and dance during the mid-70s. I and others rebelled by listening to heady prog and jazz fusion, then delighted when new wave emerged around 1980. But during the disco era, while songs like “More More More” (Andrea True Connection) showcased vibe and production, bands like Earth, Wind and Fire offered insanely good musicianship. The Bee Gees likewise focused their deep talent on creating a unique, marketable sound.

I believe this can also be said for today’s pop artists in a number genres: Musicianship matters whether the product is a vibe or a deeply personal message.

Sky
i'm tempted to pretend that the focus on production and less on talent/musical skills of the performer has become a key ingredient in pop music (billie eilish)...

...although there are some performers which are quite good but who's performance get ruined by horrible production (adele).

anyway, i am afraid i missed the exit direction 'pop' as i seem to prefer music which has a bit a different balance between the musician's skills and production: if any of them feels cheap, i get turned off pretty quickly...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 11:21 AM.. Reason: edited for a different twist
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

📝 Reply