The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dislike modulated reverbs, any pedal out there that doesn't?
Old 19th September 2020
Dislike modulated reverbs, any pedal out there that doesn't?

Hi all!
I've in vain tried to find any pedal, and now since NAMM presented both new Strymons and Eventides Blackhole, the thing is that I want a lush old expensive rackmount reverb in a pedal form. The only one I think comes close relatively are Empress Reverb, but I am more aikin to if someone could produce Quantec Room Simulators non-modulated reverbs in a stompbox format. Yes, I've been spoiled since I heard one of those units in the 90s. But...it's 2020 now, I thought that CPU and software algorithms or even DSP would be that cheap so you could procude a pedal that at least had one engine or algorithm that had no modulation artifacts.

Is there any out there ?

IMHO Modulation in reverbs (no matter how good they sounds) is to somewhat cover up artifacts and shortcomings in the programming, DSP, CPU or both, to masque trailing ends with aliasing, shifting, and ringing. I do know and heard that non-modulated reverbs are very hard and expensive to pull off convincingly.
Old 19th September 2020
strymon blue sky does a great job, you have the option of turning modulation on or off, I usually have it off, I get where you're coming from, sometimes it just doesn't work, it can sound very 80s and too much.
Old 20th September 2020
Yes, thank you, and that's the pedal I bought first when it came out in 2011. I thought that someone would have taken that further. The mod switch adds a chorus (too fast for me) to - even - spring settings. I sold it when I came into financial (dire straits) troubles, but wouldn't be hesitate to buy it again. However, looking for second hand items, is a slim chance. All people I know of, who owns it keeps it, and doesn't even upgrade.

But, what is of my concern, is that some software reverb companies now flaunts their modulated reverbs as a treat and something desirable. And if you can "turn off" the modulations all the artifacts, trails, and resonance ringing at the tail end getsheard. Even convolution reverbs. While I don't necessarily neglect the use of modulated reverbs - hey, Lexicon made a career out of it - I think today, it wouldn't be rocket science to produce any modulation free reverb without the artifacts instead of covering up, camouflaging the bad points of reverbs which to me, is so 90s.

I have no objections to that, that in the 80s the most important thing was that it sounded good, but not especially natural space. Julio Iglesias "sizzling" syllables into posh luxurious Lexicon reverbs was a trademark for his sound. I don't want "Blade Runner" reverbs all of the time...

But I thought that the new Eventide pedal Blackhole should wet my appetite, but it is more of the same mod again, stuffed into one unit.

At 11:41 in this youtube test with Empress he connects a thumb piano to it, and gives it a sharp transient explosive hit. That's what I mean. High quality test stuff.

Old 20th September 2020
This guy explains the rational behind it all, at the beginning of the video, it's "can't hear what the algorithms are doing". And that is a good thing. I think I'll side with him...

Old 20th September 2020
The Bricasti M7 has a modulation control, you can shut it off. It's also the best sounding guitar rack reverb, but you will pay.
Old 20th September 2020
Gear Nut

The MXR M-300 is pretty good. I like it a lot. You can use a TRS cable for stereo output too... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LAeWwMC2EaI

Last edited by mikegentry; 20th September 2020 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: More complete
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The Bricasti M7 has a modulation control, you can shut it off. It's also the best sounding guitar rack reverb, but you will pay.
Stuff only that part into a pedal of Blue Sky size at no higher price than eventide h9 max, and I would be all game. Fixed presets even. Maybe at a stretch, a pre-delay button...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegentry View Post
The MXR M-300 is pretty good. I like it a lot. You can use a TRS cable for stereo output too... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LAeWwMC2EaI
However, as silly as it sounds, no blue leds for me anymore. Granted, you can gaffer tape over it but then you don't see it if it's on or off.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honch View Post
However, as silly as it sounds, no blue leds for me anymore. Granted, you can gaffer tape over it but then you don't see it if it's on or off.
I hear you! The blue is brutal...
Old 2 weeks ago
Now, not even the latest from Chase Bliss Audio the Automatone Reverb (Meris) has this. A whipping 900 USD (almost, it's 899) with motorized faders and it lends from 1978s units. The YT flicks so far has just gotten me to "Hey, the year 1978 called and wanted its hiss back!!".

The late 70s and early 80s reverb racks were full of modulations, especially Lexicon, perhaps not the QRS which came in 1982, so that is outside vintage specs.

Who wants to put a pedal with motorized faders on their floorboards, full of dirty shoes stepping on the switches? In a year those motorized faders will go south. Motorized faders belong in studios, up there on desk.

Besides this, I think the OTO BAM machine does the 70/80s rack reverbs much better. At a lower price, much lower.
Old 2 days ago
I tried anoother software the other day. From Izotope, their NIMBUS, Exponential Audio, who struts about their non modulation natural reverbs.

However, what I have discovered with all software, incuding this one, that if they remove modulation the annoying delay-ray-tracing is heard at the trail/tail of the reverbs, like "***rkrkrkrkrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...". In order to remove these, you have to introduce modulation to camouflage and cover/mask it up. Which induce an unnatural chorus to the actual note which is swirling around in pitch. Phasey artifacts is heard.

Even some old legendary stuff, is that Lexicon made a career out of modulated reverbs, and "unnatural" spaces. But yet, on old spring reverbs, and plates there's no modulation or "krrrr" at all.

Beats me why it's so hard to pull off these days. Still.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honch View Post
Stuff only that part into a pedal of Blue Sky size at no higher price than eventide h9 max, and I would be all game. Fixed presets even. Maybe at a stretch, a pre-delay button...
The 6 Analog devices processors would never fit inside a pedal. Nor would the power supply.

"A man's got to know his limitations" ~ Dirty Harry
๐Ÿ“ Reply