The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG D112 vs Shure Beta52a
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Head

AKG D112 vs Shure Beta52a

It seems the online community generally prefers the AKG to the Shure for recording kicks drums (maybe I'm wrong about this?). I’d love to get a feel for exactly why this is the case. I use the Beta52a and like it, but I can’t fight the FOMO I get when I see the D112 being talked about so much more! Argh!
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

The B52 has a more aggressively tailored frequency response:

than the D112:

although not as much as the Audix D6. As a result the D112 takes EQ much better than the other two mics. I see the Beta as more of a live mic than a studio mic.

Edit: I have used both in the studio. The chance of the beta’s crazy freq response matching the kick drum you’re recording and also being the sound you’re going for is pretty low. And trying to un-eq or re-eq the sound to something else just doesn’t get you great results.

Last edited by thismercifulfate; 14th September 2020 at 08:46 PM..
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

the off-axis response is pretty awful on both (due to the basket) and hence can lead to issues with loud sources nearby but shouldn't stop you from using them (and a bunch of filters) and get decent results; personally, i still MUCH prefer the m88 (or re20 or of couse the u47fet) on kick out and a pzm (or blm) inside

additiinal trouble with the d112 is that for rock/pop, the lf bump is too hight and actually in a frequency range where you don't want it to be; therefore, other kick mics have become more popular in recent years, including the beta52.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac660 View Post
It seems the online community generally prefers the AKG to the Shure for recording kicks drums (maybe I'm wrong about this?). I’d love to get a feel for exactly why this is the case. I use the Beta52a and like it, but I can’t fight the FOMO I get when I see the D112 being talked about so much more! Argh!
I have to admit not only have I never used the Beta 52, I've never even seen one in person except in a display case at a store or audio show. On the other hand, the proverbial rotation of a deceased feline will quickly encounter a D112 in many of the studios, clubs and home setups I have visited.

Like the SM57, it is simultaneously a "standard" and the mic everyone "loves to hate". It's on a lot of people's "over my dead body" list and also specified in a lot of riders.

Quote:
FOMO
Sweetwater did a nice kick drum shootout here.
Gearslutz discussion of that shootout here.

The Shure and the AKG are both included.
You can listen to it blind first and take notes and then see how you rated these 2 and 9 others. Warning: viewing shootouts may increase G.A.S.

All shootouts are 'flawed', but this one is conducted by Lynn Fuston, who for my money does the best job on shootouts of anyone.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Guru

In this area the B52 is pretty common on stages. I may know some people who record with one. I can't remember if I ever borrowed on to try. I had a D112 and sold it.
📝 Reply