The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shotgun mic options for VO?
Old 20th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShogunOfHarlem View Post
Nope, it sure won't... and on top of that, it won't even be particularly quiet if it shares a surface of any kind with any of the surfaces (floor, walls, ceiling) in your place.

You're flat out not going to be able to do pro level VO in place with noise issues of this severity, no matter what your setup is like.

I'd recommend at least making peace with pro tools, as you're going to be editing the f*ck out of each and every take in order to get something manageable.
I can do a floating floor, though I don't know how much that'll help, given the circumstances. We do have a basement, but due to not very good isolation and shared walls, the noise still makes its way down there I am planning to move to a real production location, but because of limits on gatherings I won't be going back work anytime soon (my department probably won't be open for months), so that sort of delays my plans (I'm saving a year of living expenses + moving cost).
Old 21st September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Lots of excellent advice here.
Just chiming in to wish you well D, with the current situation.
Chris
Thanks. We are looking at moving (and I'm definitely moving some time next year, probably towards the end of 2021), and in the meantime, starting today, I'm recording when they're banging on walls. In a 3 hour span half of an 8.5x11" sheet has been used up because it's like every 10-20 minutes that they start doing it.

I'm gonna try positioning myself as far away from the shared wall as possible and try a dynamic, one of my shotgun mics, and one of my MK-012s, and see if I can get good enough rejection that I can gate or EQ the rest out.

I might be limited to cheap jobs from sites like Fiverr for now if I do any work (I am very much against these sites both because of how bad the clientele can be, but also because they encourage people to work for the lowest possible amount, and you're nuts if you expect to get a legitimately professional sounding commercial or think someone is gonna do your whole audiobook for $50).
Old 3 weeks ago
I was looking at the Vocal Booth To Go SPB33 even though it's ridiculously expensive, and I was considering it, until I saw that it was an additional $1400 for shipping and duties. That puts at $6000 CAD (already $4200 CAD before shipping, duties, and taxes, taxes I had already factored in), so I ruled that out. I might just make some room for a 4'x4' booth in the basement.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
I was looking at the Vocal Booth To Go SPB33 even though it's ridiculously expensive, and I was considering it, until I saw that it was an additional $1400 for shipping and duties. That puts at $6000 CAD (already $4200 CAD before shipping, duties, and taxes, taxes I had already factored in), so I ruled that out. I might just make some room for a 4'x4' booth in the basement.
How did the Dynamic Microphone do?

Also, if you want to make a Isolation Booth yourself, you'll spend less than the $4200 you are looking at. It takes a lot longer, but it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv5_BealBrA

Update:
Here's another video of someone doing it differently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyu1vKIgKGI

Last edited by siniarch; 2 weeks ago at 11:35 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
How did the Dynamic Microphone do?

Also, if you want to make a Isolation Booth yourself, you'll spend less than the $4200 you are looking at. It takes a lot longer, but it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv5_BealBrA

Update:
Here's another video of someone doing it differently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyu1vKIgKGI
I really like the one made by someone on Youtube named Glenn Murrant. The plans are available online for free and they only spent about $500. I have plans for a 4'x6' if I can find them, which is what I want to build, but I think 4'x4' is what I'm limited to for now, plus that will fit in any apartment. The 4'x6' puts the cost at something like $800.

I actually haven't really tried the dynamics yet because it's so inconsistent in noise. I actually wrote down in a notebook how often it happens, and weekdays it's a couple minutes straight (like 5 minutes) in 15-20 minute intervals. It happens all through the day though. But once I grab one of my audio interfaces, my phone, headphones, cables (XLR and USB-C OTG to connect my interface to my phone), and a mic they've stopped for a little while. It can even happen at 12:00AM to 2:00 AM.

The neighbours were definitely lying about what it is (don't want to go into details because it's a bit personal, but what it actually seems to be is their bratty kids throwing balls against the wall, who they don't seem to discipline, the neighbours are loud and they yell a lot, so I can hear when they're actually getting their kids in trouble), so we've started complaining to the property manager more. The apartments are row houses which unfortunately offer subsidized rent for lower income families (we pay market rent, our place is 3 bedrooms so by not living alone I'm saving a lot of money to move somewhere decent). I say unfortunately because we end up living next to some pretty obnoxious people. I hate criticizing other people's family and general life planning but if they want their 5 really badly behaved kids to be able to bang on stuff (they even do this outside, and I know it's the neighbours kids because I've heard her complaining about them doing it but never actually punishing them) and run around and scream inside they should live in a house in the country, or own a house in the city that's soundproofed well. Obviously owning a home is expensive, but nobody is making them have 5 kids and no job. And no sane person should ever rent a small 2-3 bedroom apartment to somebody with no job and 4 or 5 kids, let alone ones who let their kids trash the place (the bedrooms in these apartments are pretty small if they're all built similarly which I think they are, the only one that wouldn't be tiny is the master bedroom). Even if apartments do offer subsidized rent (I know there are apartments in the US that rent to people on subsidized rent, I think it's referred to as Section 8 housing or something there), by renting to people like that it's just going to drive the kinds of people you would actually want to rent to away.

I'm not even just mad because it gets in the way of me trying to record. It gets in the way of my regular life too. I was actually set to move at the end of the year, but COVID has put a stop to that. My job is in an entertainment venue, but only being able to have 50 patrons (rules for Ontario right now) means they brought back very few staff members to reopen, so I'm still out of work. Which sucks because even though I don't like my job I was making decent money.

I'm bitching way too much for someone my age. I try not to talk about my personal life online, but this is all very relevant to me having issues recording.

There was a music store really close by that had a small studio, I would've considered going there. It was $50/hr to track, and they did have a couple U87ais, but you had to book a minimum of 4 hours, so it wouldn't have been very economical unless I had a bunch of decent paying gigs to hammer out. They closed down a little while ago. I wouldn't have tracked music there myself, even though they did have a pair of U87ais they also had a shocking amount of the harsher sounding mics too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
I really like the one made by someone on Youtube named Glenn Murrant. The plans are available online for free and they only spent about $500. I have plans for a 4'x6' if I can find them, which is what I want to build, but I think 4'x4' is what I'm limited to for now, plus that will fit in any apartment. The 4'x6' puts the cost at something like $800.

I actually haven't really tried the dynamics yet because it's so inconsistent in noise. I actually wrote down in a notebook how often it happens, and weekdays it's a couple minutes straight (like 5 minutes) in 15-20 minute intervals. It happens all through the day though. But once I grab one of my audio interfaces, my phone, headphones, cables (XLR and USB-C OTG to connect my interface to my phone), and a mic they've stopped for a little while. It can even happen at 12:00AM to 2:00 AM.

The neighbours were definitely lying about what it is (don't want to go into details because it's a bit personal, but what it actually seems to be is their bratty kids throwing balls against the wall, who they don't seem to discipline, the neighbours are loud and they yell a lot, so I can hear when they're actually getting their kids in trouble), so we've started complaining to the property manager more. The apartments are row houses which unfortunately offer subsidized rent for lower income families (we pay market rent, our place is 3 bedrooms so by not living alone I'm saving a lot of money to move somewhere decent). I say unfortunately because we end up living next to some pretty obnoxious people. I hate criticizing other people's family and general life planning but if they want their 5 really badly behaved kids to be able to bang on stuff (they even do this outside, and I know it's the neighbours kids because I've heard her complaining about them doing it but never actually punishing them) and run around and scream inside they should live in a house in the country, or own a house in the city that's soundproofed well. Obviously owning a home is expensive, but nobody is making them have 5 kids and no job. And no sane person should ever rent a small 2-3 bedroom apartment to somebody with no job and 4 or 5 kids, let alone ones who let their kids trash the place (the bedrooms in these apartments are pretty small if they're all built similarly which I think they are, the only one that wouldn't be tiny is the master bedroom). Even if apartments do offer subsidized rent (I know there are apartments in the US that rent to people on subsidized rent, I think it's referred to as Section 8 housing or something there), by renting to people like that it's just going to drive the kinds of people you would actually want to rent to away.

I'm not even just mad because it gets in the way of me trying to record. It gets in the way of my regular life too. I was actually set to move at the end of the year, but COVID has put a stop to that. My job is in an entertainment venue, but only being able to have 50 patrons (rules for Ontario right now) means they brought back very few staff members to reopen, so I'm still out of work. Which sucks because even though I don't like my job I was making decent money.

I'm bitching way too much for someone my age. I try not to talk about my personal life online, but this is all very relevant to me having issues recording.

There was a music store really close by that had a small studio, I would've considered going there. It was $50/hr to track, and they did have a couple U87ais, but you had to book a minimum of 4 hours, so it wouldn't have been very economical unless I had a bunch of decent paying gigs to hammer out. They closed down a little while ago. I wouldn't have tracked music there myself, even though they did have a pair of U87ais they also had a shocking amount of the harsher sounding mics too.
Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope it gets better. But I'd be willing to bet that a vocal booth like one of these would be a good solution for you.

But do give that dynamic a try. Maybe set it up and have it ready. When you hear some noise, you can go record some things and see how it works for you.

Best of luck.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope it gets better. But I'd be willing to bet that a vocal booth like one of these would be a good solution for you.

But do give that dynamic a try. Maybe set it up and have it ready. When you hear some noise, you can go record some things and see how it works for you.

Best of luck.
Finally tried a dynamic. It helps a bit, assuming I'm a good distance away from the shared wall, but it also depends on how much noise they're making. I have to really aggressively roll off everything below 300 Hz to completely get rid of it with a dynamic.

I think I pretty much have to build a small booth. I'm pretty against square ones, but 4'x4' is the most I can manage right now (shared rental, I'll try to do it for as cheap as I realistically can, then I can do a 6'x4' later once I move). I'm pretty confident I can do it for under $800 as long as I use existing plans. I wanted to avoid making an airtight one, but that's absolutely necessary with the current situation. I was trying to avoid an airtight build because I'm a bit nervous about being in a small airtight space if I screw up the ventilation, but I don't have the space for double doors (the way this place was designed is nuts, I'll likely need to cut the height down a bit because the lights are installed really low).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry also D, to hear about these issues.
I wonder how well you'd like the Beyer M201TG?
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Finally tried a dynamic. It helps a bit, assuming I'm a good distance away from the shared wall, but it also depends on how much noise they're making. I have to really aggressively roll off everything below 300 Hz to completely get rid of it with a dynamic.

I think I pretty much have to build a small booth. I'm pretty against square ones, but 4'x4' is the most I can manage right now (shared rental, I'll try to do it for as cheap as I realistically can, then I can do a 6'x4' later once I move). I'm pretty confident I can do it for under $800 as long as I use existing plans. I wanted to avoid making an airtight one, but that's absolutely necessary with the current situation. I was trying to avoid an airtight build because I'm a bit nervous about being in a small airtight space if I screw up the ventilation, but I don't have the space for double doors (the way this place was designed is nuts, I'll likely need to cut the height down a bit because the lights are installed really low).
Well, you won't know if it works til you try. Sorry you have to deal with all that noise. Best of luck in your booth building endeavor. May it isolate as much as it's needed.
๐Ÿ“ Reply