The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Time to buy a real compressor
Old 11th September 2020
Time to buy a real compressor

Main purposes is tracking vocals, and drums once I acquire a second unit.

I set out to get an 1176LN, but got distracted by the BAE 10DCF.

I like the 1176 because it's simple and I know it, and know I like it.

A friend owns and suggests the BAE 10DCF as he feels it's also great, and a bit cheaper, but still of the upmost quality. I also own 2 BAE 1073MP's, so I'm already a BAE fan.

The BAE 10DCF will require me becoming a bit more knowledgable, where the 1176 is super easy. I have the Neve 33609 plug in so I'm familiar with the video game version.

Any input appreciated. Thanks
Old 12th September 2020
Gear Addict

I think they’re something about an 1176 on vocals that just works. Depends on what version you’re looking for- I’m digging the Stam since it has a 2:1 and multiple version modes
Old 12th September 2020
Gear Maniac

1176 is my vocal goto just to catch the major transients because in my experience, it’s the fastest available.........even the plugins can’t catch up......hence why I track with it. Afterwards, I’ll send the main vocal out of the box and polish it with an LA2A......but that’s the extent of hardware vocal compression for me.......I enjoy the flexibility of sidechains in plugins to fine tune things without the pulsing.
Old 12th September 2020
Gear Nut
maybe what you want to spend your time on, rather than deliberating between models and topologies, is hunting for 'the one' 1176. i know eric valentine has one that he strongly prefers over other units. that's one idea.

vocals and drums...i want to say they're pretty disparate. like for vocals i would suggest a summit tla-100 (or the tim p nebula library). but it can work on drums to a limited degree as well. whereas for drums i would want ssl x-logic or a cheaper clone (chameleon labs 7721 anyone?) or an api-2500. anything fancy enough can be used all over the place. but as for a comp that i would think to use on both vox & drums...maybe a retro 176? would that appeal to you? it's an extra g above the 10dcf. play with analog obsession's free OSS plugin and/or MJUC (in mk2 mode) if that idea intrigues you.

i know you can use 1176 on drums and vocals but i never use that style on drums personally. nor do i really use it on vocals haha. but if you're into it, maybe finding a really sweet unit is the way to approach it.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

la-2a + 1176 (the 1176 catches what the la-2a misses)
or:
cl1b
Old 14th September 2020
. Same ole schtick.1176,LA2A. Boring...........Theres far cooler compressors, such as the Looptrotter Audio Monster compressor. This is the only "real" compressor i would hands down invest in.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Get a Urei 1176 and sleep well at night
Old 14th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
. Same ole schtick.1176,LA2A. Boring...........Theres far cooler compressors, such as the Looptrotter Audio Monster compressor. This is the only "real" compressor i would hands down invest in.
Why use compression at all when you can use the MAGIC MICROPHONE TRICK? lol

Have you used 1176 or LA-2A hardware Corey? How about the looptrotter unit you recommended?
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
You invoke the dreaded Corey? Haven’t you seen Beetlejuice?
Old 14th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post

Have you used 1176 or LA-2A hardware Corey? How about the looptrotter unit you recommended?
The magic microphone trick works for microphones. Not compressors, silly goose.
I never "recommended" anything.
All i stated here was my opinion:
If i was going to get a "real" compressor (thousands of dollars). I would get the Looptrotter Monster compressor. Why? For the simple fact that I dont want to own what everyone else owns. or use what everyone else uses. Not to mention the cool features and functions that the Monster compressor has, makes it way more appealing to me. Than the ubiquitous 1176 and La2a (jesus,just typing the names make me want to puke).

Get smug with this statement im about to make: No I have not actually used any of these hardware devices or even emulations for that matter. i dont even think thats neccesary for me to decide to want what I want. The Looptrotter Audio demo of the Monster compressor is compelling enough for me to want it........

Im not quite sure what your validation is for coming at ME specifically, like how youve just done.

An anyoymous comment by an anonymous person..... i noticed, you dont have any links to YOUR recordings/credits. Hmm thats odd (the reason, something beyond your control I assume).

Any ways have a good day. I wish you only the best.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Head

DISTRESSOR times 2
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear
I tried to warn you! Now we have Beetlejuice in this thread. I can’t remember how they got rid of him. It was a long time ago...
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Buster Keaton was great in that.
Chris
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Or just use the UA 1176 Plug. Then both you and your wallet sleep well.

The kid with the earbuds, listening to your MP3 or YpuTube, won't be the wiser.

Chris
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Buster Keaton was great in that.
Chris
No... I’m thinking of the talkie version with Al Jolson. If you recall, Beetlejuice is during Jolson’s later “whiteface” period.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Theres far cooler compressors, such as the Looptrotter Audio Monster compressor. This is the only "real" compressor i would hands down invest in.
Seems like a quality unit from the description but it is certainly no surprise that what you decide is only REAL COMPRESSOR looks like something one would find in the power tools aisle at Home Depot.

The 1176 and LA2a are basic audio tools that have been standards for a reason. If you think they are boring then you are either foolish or a troll... Oh sorry I forgot, you're both.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Kidding aside B., fascinating that Jackie Wilson dedicated a WHOLE album "You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet". That contained the only liner notes, Jackie ever wrote.

Al was Jackie's favorite Artist. A little un-PC, but shows we have to evaluate the Spirit inside of a person, not just the book by its cover.
The subtle dark side of Jolson's use of Blackface IMHO, was his hidden personal insecurity in performance. (amazing as that seem!)

Little known nowadays, but in the early stage of Jolson's career, he was a even a little more popular when he toured the Chitlin' Circuit down South.

Please excuse the history lesson, but many young people particularly, aren't aware of "history"-as it happened.
Chris
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadletteroffice View Post
Main purposes is tracking vocals, and drums once I acquire a second unit.
The Distressor is terrific and probably the most versatile hardware comp out there. Also great on kick or snare.

the Never portico stuff is just lovely sounding. A little finicky with the knobs, perhaps.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

If I was adding Outboard.... Would shop Audioscape, for sure!
Chris
Old 14th September 2020
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
The magic microphone trick works for microphones. Not compressors, silly goose.
Thank you for not starting another thread, I guess.. A joke is only funny when you hear it for the first time.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Or just use the UA 1176 Plug. Then both you and your wallet sleep well.

The kid with the earbuds, listening to your MP3 or YpuTube, won't be the wiser.

Chris
But how much is your uad setup worth in 10 years?
Old 15th September 2020
A Distressor is always a sure bet. I also recommend the Buzz DBC-20 as an essential comp for the first couple pieces that a studio get. Both are very versatile and a good value for hi end.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
But how much is your uad setup worth in 10 years?
Well after I've invested in the "NEXT Apple" stock (from what I've saved), after 10 years...
Lemme see.

Chris
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict

I’ve been eying the Weight Tank vari-mu comp, waiting for something to sell on reverb. But it looks cool. I have FET, VCA , and opto cheap compressors here, so lusting for the other kind.

Anyone used it?
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Well personally, Jolson wasn't a racist, when his life is studied. Jolson died in 1950. The Ed Sullvan Show, started in 1948.
I'll check that out. Along with Bing and the young Sinatra... He was one of the most popular entertainers of the first half,
of the 20th Century.
Chris
Old 15th September 2020
To the OP.

You can consider this option as well. Go 500 series, and buy used.

Hairball RevD. Outstanding comp on all fronts, very nice 76 mojo. My tech thinks it blows away the reissue UA hardware 1176s.

Tonelux TXC5. I have 6 of these. They're packed with tone shaping abilities. You get RMS and Peak detection. Feedback feed forward compression. Tilt sidechain. The Release control can be almost instantaneous to 3 seconds. The release circuit is a unique 3 stage circuit that auto releases the faster signals at a rate of 10 times the release of the lower frequency signals. All of this and an auto-makeup gain system that always keeps the gain at unity regardless of the amount of compression. This thing is deep, and very punchy or smooth.

DBX 560A. $220 gets you the classic dbx vca compression.

These 3 compressors would cost you less than buying one UA 1176. You could even throw in a 500 series rack and still be in the ball park of the ua. And aside from what I mentioned, there are some outstanding 500 series OPTO's to compression manglers out there.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by standup View Post
I’ve been eying the Weight Tank vari-mu comp, waiting for something to sell on reverb. But it looks cool. I have FET, VCA , and opto cheap compressors here, so lusting for the other kind.

Anyone used it?
Yes. I have two. Fantastic.

For the OP :

Especially if you're doing vocals :

Budget - Weight Tank Comp
Bigger Budget, but not outrageous - Locomotive 14B

Both of those are now selling direct from Locomotive and the price (at least on the 14B) has dropped considerably. LOVING the demo 14B that I've got right now. Today, I put in an order for a pair.

They can go very fast, are huger than life, quite round, but have a lot of air up top as well. You can SMASH, and stuff just comes up to the front of the mix and sits there.

Highly recommended.

For Drums, of course the 1176 is a great call, but I'd also check out the D Comp from AudioScape. Really killer on drums.
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've been looking at these lately - you recking they're worth their weight in gold? There's always a bit of anxiety associated with spending that type of coin but you reckon it's worth pulling the trigger?
Old 15th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I tried to warn you! Now we have Beetlejuice in this thread. I can’t remember how they got rid of him. It was a long time ago...
Oh my god.
You did, and like a fool I ignored the warnings

..and got precisely what I deserved

But the rest of you did not deserve this!!

I’m so sorry
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
la-2a + 1176 (the 1176 catches what the la-2a misses)
or:
cl1b
You go in La-2a first and not the other way round? That's interesting. I always put LA-2A last and on 'Limiter' if I have them both going.
📝 Reply