The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Time to buy a real compressor
Old 17th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadletteroffice View Post
Because you've come into a thread where I've expressed that I know I like the 1176, but looking for potential feedback on the BAE 10DCF. I stated that aside from the sound, I like the simplicity of the 1176 and said that even the BAE 10DCF would cause me to have to become a bit more informed.

You're crapping on the 1176, not saying a word about the BAE 10DCF, and suggesting a unit with a million lights, and knobs and switches which is not what anyone would refer to as "simple". It's not what I'm looking for, even remotely. If you're into it, all good. Just the wrong thread. Thanks!
Corey is more into conducting social experiments with people who are into audio than actually trying to be helpful or on topic.

He is just taking time off to poke you with an oddball compressor from his real agenda...
Attached Thumbnails
Time to buy a real compressor-hqdefault.jpg  
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
Well I didn't mean to step on any toes. I figured I would offer up a suggestion that pretty much does what every compressor mentioned on this thread does and more. All in one stereo unit. There is a newer model called, Monster Compressor 2, out there as well.
Love it. Or hate it.

I just think it should be recognized. The build of this unit is quite spectacular.

http://looptrotter.com/monster-compressor/
Looptrotter is an outstanding company. I have a Sat2 that I've been demoing. Not ticking all the right boxes for my needs, but for the right usage it's excellent.

Have you ever used the Monster? If yes, then great, you words will forever be etched in Gearslutz for having ponied up a solid compressor candidate for the right person looking for that kind of unit. If you haven't used it, then perhaps just enjoy the moment you made your suggestion, and then move on. It's typically not a good idea to tell people they should be using something or taking something seriously unless you've put it to good use yourself.

Have a nice day.
Old 17th September 2020
Again. I really dont, think its neccesary to have to use a product in order to tell other people that are shopping around in that price range to check this compressor out..... the only way to evolve is to try new things. Whos to say that someone whos never heard of this box that is only looking for a 1176 copies. Wont like it.

The title of this thread should have been. ONLY LOOKING FOR 1176 HARDWARE COPIES.
Not. Time to buy a real compressor.
Very misleading.
I understand now why, everyone is upset.
They think im doggin on the holier than thou dynamic duo.
I am not.
I just stated that I think the Looptrotter Audio Monster Compressor is very cool. Cooler than the devices the OP was initially interested in.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again. I really dont, think its neccesary to have to use a product in order to tell other people that are shopping around in that price range to check this compressor out..... the only way to evolve is to try new things. Whos to say that someone whos never heard of this box that is only looking for a 1176 copies. Wont like it.

The title of this thread should have been. ONLY LOOKING FOR 1176 HARDWARE COPIES.
Very misleading.
I am not.
I just stated that I think the Looptrotter Audio Monster Compressor is very cool. Cooler than the devices the OP was initially interested in.
You posted the Looptrotter not because it's a good compressor (it probably is) but simply because you are a sh!t stirrer.

Lately you have poked people on the the drum forum suggesting that Zildjian's cheapest entry level cymbals (Planet Z) are the best sounding (they just ignored you) and also a lengthy bunch of crap on the Studio Building forum about a vocal booth construction when your expertise with such things is sitting in your closet with a cheap Behringer omni mic.

You have proven that you are an idiot and a troll repeatedly now so please just move on.
Old 17th September 2020
- the only reason i posted the looptrotter here is because I only read the title of the thread.

-My planet z 14" hihat audio sample that youre talking about. all I said was it was the best 40$ hi hat i bought and posted a sound file, whats wrong with that?

-my acoustic treatment plan that I designed for that vocal booth, is actually not bunk. My designs are more effective in sound absorbtion at the problem frequencies. Not to mention 9.5 times cheaper than the foam "acoustic fix it" products that other people were just suggesting. Where as i began desiging treatment specifically for that booth.

Perhaps instead if trying to berate, belittle, and discredit everything i have to say, why dont you just first try to understand where I am coming from. If in fact you can do that, youll find that my antics are really not as pestilent as youve let yourself beleive.
Deleted 2848499
#ratemysetup

lol, in all realness though its not picking on anyone intentionally, its a good cause for a laugh because of the original response of it really REALLY looking like a dewalt. No malice intended.

Keep making music, and keep the dream alive. If this compressor does it for you you'll be the one laughing in the end!
Attached Thumbnails
Time to buy a real compressor-dewalt-tools.jpg  

Last edited by Deleted 2848499; 17th September 2020 at 08:57 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
My planet z 14" hihat audio sample that youre talking about. all I said was it was the best 40$ hi hat i bought and posted a sound file, whats wrong with that?
The OP in that post had a budget of 300€ and was looking to upgrade to quality hihats. Other posters were (no surprise) talking about Zildjian K and New Beats while you suggested the cheapest entry level Zildjians made.

Yes, unless you know nothing at all about cymbals you were trolling.
Old 17th September 2020
What I know about cymbals, is that that there are good sounding cymbals and bad sounding cymbals. Expensive cymbals and cheap cymbals. But the 40$ set of hi-hats I have do not sound bad.
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:

Very misleading.
I am not.
That’s a long way of saying you have a thing for getting defensive about your uninformed opinions.. and thread jacking.
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
You have proven that you are an idiot and a troll
The latter most likely. I saw how he was behaving in his microphone thread. Mentally unstable people tend to get instantly aggressive when their "brilliant" ideas get challenged. And a normal person would at least show a hint of doubt when he sees multiple scientifically backed up proofs that his ideas do not work in real life. Typically they first go into denial, followed by agitation, then depression (they stop posting), and finally forfeit. His responses, on the other hand, stayed neutral throughout the whole thread. Robot-like even. "I am not wrong. It works. I am not wrong. It works."
I would say a troll, or some kind of a social experiment.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnr View Post
Robot-like even. "I am not wrong. It works. I am not wrong. It works."
I would say a troll, or some kind of a social experiment.
Maybe he’s auditioning for a Devo tribute band.
Lives for gear

While we need to be cautious regarding endorsements, I recalled seeing a very short, positive Looptrotter video by the always interesting, sometimes quirky, Sylvia Massey.:

https://youtu.be/5cSuH08UydM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
Seems like a quality unit from the description but it is certainly no surprise that what you decide is only REAL COMPRESSOR looks like something one would find in the power tools aisle at Home Depot.

The 1176 and LA2a are basic audio tools that have been standards for a reason. If you think they are boring then you are either foolish or a troll... Oh sorry I forgot, you're both.
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
While we need to be cautious regarding endorsements, I recalled seeing a very short, positive Looptrotter video by the always interesting, sometimes quirky, Sylvia Massey.:

https://youtu.be/5cSuH08UydM
That’s it! If anybody needs me on this fine Saturday, I’m headed to Home Depot!! Got a 670 for cheap in the classifieds if you’re interested.

Last edited by Deleted 2848499; 19th September 2020 at 05:21 PM..
Old 19th September 2020
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Main purposes is tracking vocals, and drums once I acquire a second unit.

I set out to get an 1176LN, but got distracted by the BAE 10DCF.

I like the 1176 because it's simple and I know it, and know I like it.

A friend owns and suggests the BAE 10DCF as he feels it's also great, and a bit cheaper, but still of the upmost quality. I also own 2 BAE 1073MP's, so I'm already a BAE fan.

The BAE 10DCF will require me becoming a bit more knowledgable, where the 1176 is super easy. I have the Neve 33609 plug in so I'm familiar with the video game version.

Any input appreciated. Thanks
It really depends what you’re looking for out of the compressor. To my ear the ITB versions of FET (1176) Style comps are closer than tube/other types. For example, the 10DCF energy will be harder to achieve with a plugin than 1176 in my experience, but still not as hard as Tube/Diode Bridge is. 2254 style (AML54F50, RND 535) will add a lot more desirable weight and heaviness to whatever you put through it and you can get a pair for the $. I’d personally be looking at Diode Bridge or VariMu (IGS Tubecore 500, etc)

They will give you an energy that is much harder to achieve with plugins. All this said, 1176 isn’t a bad first choice for versatility. Still though I’d get a pair of Hairball Rev Ds for the price of one UA 1176.

I’d also be really surprised if the BAE was disappointing. I just read it has the 2254 amps so it may be right in line with what I’m saying above. Between the two that’s the far more attractive unit to what my ears are usually looking for from hardware.

Last edited by Deleted 2848499; 19th September 2020 at 05:19 PM..
Xnr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Wow, her voice is so soothing. I sometimes listen to white noise when I'm going to bed, but I might be playing this video tonight instead.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
Why use compression at all when you can use the MAGIC MICROPHONE TRICK? lol

Have you used 1176 or LA-2A hardware Corey? How about the looptrotter unit you recommended?
Another vote for the magic microphone trick.

Don't knock it until you try it.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravesNumber9 View Post
Another vote for the magic microphone trick.

Don't knock it until you try it.
In some ancient movie, I think Mae West said, “Is that the magic microphone trick, or are you just happy to see me?”
Old 20th September 2020
Swarm of gnats in here I tell ya.
Xnr
Gear Nut

This fall, watch out for magic microphone ticks in your studios! They live primarily on Neumann and Sony products and transmit igotmoneyphilia. Symptoms: slurred speech, obsession with autotune, irresistible passion for hair dyes and face tattoos.
Attached Thumbnails
Time to buy a real compressor-magictick.png  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
I also recommend the Buzz DBC-20 as an essential comp for the first couple pieces that a studio get.
I so agree.

To the OP, if you are looking at an 1176, or a FET compressor, another potential option on the used market is the Overstayer FET (1/2 rack). That's another pretty flexible box that sounds great, IMO.

My current collection for reference:
API 2500
Foote FCS P3-EX
Buzz DBC-20
Chandler TG-1
Chandler LTD-2
Smart C-1
Overstayer FET
API 525
Purple FET
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear
Beetlejuice is an odd one. More than 10% of the posts in this thread are his. One “like” in nine posts. No meaningful engagement. Nevertheless, he persists.
Do you think he’s resistant to penicillin? Is he resistant to everything that kills mortals? In the case of a nuclear holocaust, will it just be Beetlejuice and the cockroaches that survive?
Perhaps somewhere in the world there exists an equally odd and resistant potential mate.
Maybe they will repopulate the world and chat mindlessly and endlessly on this forum.
If that’s the movie, I’ll be happy to exit before the denouement.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Beetlejuice is an odd one. More than 10% of the posts in this thread are his. One “like” in nine posts. No meaningful engagement.
That's what's so great about the Ignore List. I can finish reading the thread 10% quicker. Kind of like DVRing all the shows and FFing through the commercials.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

The looptrotter def looks DEWALT haha.

How do you guys feel about the highland dynamics BG2 up against some of the other mentions for vocals? I’ve tried it via Access analog on vocals and preferred it to the LA-2A(also tested on access analog).

Although I felt the BG-2 sounded the best comparing various compressor plug-ins and the LA-2A, the difference although noticeable was not enough to justify the $2800 purchase compared to my favorite plug-in vocal compressor (LA-2A emulation)which is the White 2a from T-Racks(which I feel sounds huger/smoother) than the UAD gray face(which looks tan, sound extremely 2-D to me). I Also feel that white2a is extremely even and forgiving across a mix, although others might wow Solo’d, white2a holds up nicely when tested by the fire across multiple channels.

All that being said I’ve never been able to get that lovely fullness/punchienss/all around huge result that I got on the vocal test I did via access analog with the BG-2.

Now that I’ve had a little bit of time since my last gear purchase I feel I might be ready for a great vocal and channel compressor. Looking at the BG-1 or maybe 2 linked BG-2’s amongst others.

Def doing research on the the locomotive 14b and weight tank after the mentions here.

BTW, I’m aware that LA-2A to BG-2 to 1176 to etc... are all different styles of compressors, but feel you can achieve the same goal in a different way. Love the LA-2A(optical) but feel like the BG-2(vari-mu crushes more to my liking).
Deleted 2848499
I heard this whole song is actually about the looptrotter:

Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Main purposes is tracking vocals, and drums once I acquire a second unit.

I set out to get an 1176LN, but got distracted by the BAE 10DCF.

I like the 1176 because it's simple and I know it, and know I like it.

A friend owns and suggests the BAE 10DCF as he feels it's also great, and a bit cheaper, but still of the upmost quality. I also own 2 BAE 1073MP's, so I'm already a BAE fan.

The BAE 10DCF will require me becoming a bit more knowledgable, where the 1176 is super easy. I have the Neve 33609 plug in so I'm familiar with the video game version.

Any input appreciated. Thanks
Try the Daking FET III. You can demo the real thing on access analog.. they have a real cool system for using real analog equipment over the internet... try it out and others and make the call. The FET III is a win win when you compare the price and performance combo...
Cheers
Deleted 2848499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcutech View Post

Def doing research on the the locomotive 14b and weight tank after the mentions here.

BTW, I’m aware that LA-2A to BG-2 to 1176 to etc... are all different styles of compressors, but feel you can achieve the same goal in a different way. Love the LA-2A(optical) but feel like the BG-2(vari-mu crushes more to my liking).
I can definitely recommend the 14B. Its pretty straightforward to what you can picture marrying a 175B input to a Sta Level output. A smidgen less fat than a Sta, but def got some unique character which has actually become my preference for vocals. Tried it on trumpet on a jazz track and some other spots, and I wouldn't call it overtly bright but some extra high end would poke through on certain notes so I used the Retro 176 instead. It worked really well on a trombone though for a world album I mixed. Gave it that little bit of mid forward push it needed to not feel washy or behind all the percussion. A great way to use less EQ.

This happens on vocals once in a while too, the 176 controls the top a little more elegantly (to my ear), but the sparkle the 14B gives isn't gonna come from another compressor/plugin so its special to me. This is highly dependent on what information you're feeding it, and what you're doing after when mixing. I have the earlier version with the higher ratio, and different transformer so take my comments on the high end lightly for both of these reasons. I also like the fact that its got 6V6's and 12A*7 which are super easy to find. You can pull those off most fender amps in a pinch.

1176/LA-2A combo is not to be underestimated. It can work in a lot of places, and is far more versatile overall than anything else when it comes to finding a use for both tracking and mixing. Retro 176 is most versatile Vari Mu, at least for me.

Last edited by Deleted 2848499; 21st September 2020 at 03:03 AM..
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:

Very misleading.
I am not.
Start your own thread. Aside from your arguing off topic, the thread has been just fine for me, and several people have provided on topic suggestions and input.

I understand by responding to you at all will just keep you blabbering on, but seriously, try to be an adult and go start your own thread on whatever topic you wish to ramble on about products you have zero experience with.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:

Very misleading.
I am not.
I fully agree...if you see or heard someone talking about a piece of gear, there's certainly no problem with letting others know it's available. That wasn't my point. I said, let others know and then move on. There's no point in beating a dead horse (I hate that analogy) over a piece of gear if you haven't used it. And btw, what makes it "cooler" as you put it? Is it because it does xyz differently than another compressor? But you can't chime in because you have never touched it....ya feel me? I could wax a 5000 word essay as to why the 76 and 2A combo is a go-to solution for vocals. This doesn't make me cooler than anyone, it just makes me knowledgeable because I own and use this combo all the time. In fact it's pretty much hardwired in my patchbay.

Common sense would suggest that dogging a known classic compression chain in a forum such as this (hopefully you've owned or at least used this gear before chiming in) is being as someone else put it, a **** stirrer. There's absolutely no need for this kind of behavior. For instance If you think you're going to convince me after using this exact chain on hundreds of mixes that I've somehow been hypnotized, well I would then suggest that you're a troll. See how that works?

I would also suggest that if you care to make some allies here on Gearsltuz. Your tone or vibe of communication should lend itself to that, friendly. Over the years of being a member, I have been helped, and I've helped others here by sharing invaluable information...
Old 21st September 2020
I said one thing. I spoke the name of another compressor the OP wasnt neccessarily looking for. Then i get a bunch of fools **** posting me. They are the ones who dragged this thread into the circle jerk that this is. Ive said my piece and have only responded to defend myself from ruthless antagonization. Nothing i have said is wrong or even offensive (perhaps up until now). If you get so worked up about a gosh darn compressor, i dont know what to tell you. Other than relax, life will go on.

I have concluded my piece.
📝 Reply