The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How can I get more inputs on my Babyface Pro?
Old 11th September 2020
Here for the gear
How can I get more inputs on my Babyface Pro?

Hello all,

I have an RME Babyface Pro, and me and a couple friends are trying to do some covers where all of our instruments are recorded at the same time. The only problem is I don't have enough inputs on the Babyface.

We need to plug in 2 guitars (1 via Kemper Profiler Rack which is plugged into the babyface, the other plugged directly into the babyface with a trs cable), 1 bass, 2 microphones, and 2 synthesizers.

What is the best way to expand more inputs to the Babyface Pro? I like it as my interface and would rather not have to buy a new one with more inputs.

Thanks!
Show replies
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctex View Post
Hello all,

I have an RME Babyface Pro, and me and a couple friends are trying to do some covers where all of our instruments are recorded at the same time. The only problem is I don't have enough inputs on the Babyface.

We need to plug in 2 guitars (1 via Kemper Profiler Rack which is plugged into the babyface, the other plugged directly into the babyface with a trs cable), 1 bass, 2 microphones, and 2 synthesizers.

What is the best way to expand more inputs to the Babyface Pro? I like it as my interface and would rather not have to buy a new one with more inputs.

Thanks!
You'll have 8 more inputs with an external ADAT converter.
Show replies
Old 11th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Thanks, do you have one to recommend?
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Behringer ADA8200, I seen one on ebay as none working, but the seller was told it worked, but the fuse and holder is missing, It was at $90.00 with no bids awhile ago, plus it has, or best offer. May just need that fuse?

Edit= Just looked , its an ADA8000, plus the seller went from $90 down to 00.99. and no bids yet. plus $14.00 shipping.
Show replies
Old 11th September 2020
Gear Addict

Behringer ADA8200 for the budget option or Audient ASP800 for a step up.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, if what ever you get,,, if it doesn't come with, ADAT/Toslink Optical Digital Cable. You'll need some, I cant say for sure if one will do, or if you'll need two for clocking purposes. But to be on the safe side, you'd better get two.
Show replies
Old 12th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

skip the behringer and get the midas xl48 - same owner but better pre's/converters - and yes, you'll want (at least) two cables...
Show replies
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
Do I need DI boxes with the ASP800 when using TRS cables like with a guitar? Or can I just plug straight in?
Show replies
Gear Addict

Quote:
Do I need DI boxes with the ASP800 when using TRS cables like with a guitar? Or can I just plug straight in?
Inputs 1 and 2 have a hi-z direct input for guitars.
Show replies
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Also consider this https://www.arturia.com/products/aud...-8pre/overview
An interfece but can be used as ADAT extension of good quality with ins and outs unlike Audient -Audient is good as well. I have had ASP880 and liked it but sold it due downsizing, with iD44 I have 4 of those good preamps anyway basicly

Matti
Show replies
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Head

don't do the arturia, audient or behringer. I've personally owned all three of them and none stack up well against the Midas XL48. The fan noise is not nearly as loud as some make it out to be. My MacBook Pro has more noise when the fan is going than my XL48
Show replies
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
Nailed it, Ryan!
Show replies
📝 Reply