The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading my CV-12, Rap & R&B
Old 1st September 2020
Here for the gear
Upgrading my CV-12, Rap & R&B

I've had my CV-12 for a few years now. I've been growing as an engineer with it and i get great results with it now as a rap artist and someone who records a few rappers/singers. Originally i wanted to upgrade to the TLM103 but after some deep diving i came across so many formidable options that to me seem way better than the TLM103. I'm left with upping my budget a few hundred and looking for a used Blue Kiwi or Telefunken AK-47. They both seem very detailed and present which is really important in Hip-Hop. This mic is for me first and everyone else second. I'll attach a clip of a recent recording of my voice: One with full plugin stack and one dry. This recording, as many, i used proximity effect to get more detailed lower ends of my voice. No room treatment or shield (im working on both now). I use the Apollo Twin + Neve 1073 Emulation so thats what the new mic would be paired with. Any help and/or suggestions on upgrades would be great. Both mics are ~$1,200 each used. I wouldnt want to go over that.
Attached Files

LTL (GS Demo + Plugins).mp3 (533.6 KB, 198 views)

LTL (GS Demo DRY).mp3 (533.6 KB, 194 views)

Old 2nd September 2020
Here for the gear
bump
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beonkey View Post
I've had my CV-12 for a few years now. I've been growing as an engineer with it and i get great results with it now as a rap artist and someone who records a few rappers/singers. Originally i wanted to upgrade to the TLM103 but after some deep diving i came across so many formidable options that to me seem way better than the TLM103. I'm left with upping my budget a few hundred and looking for a used Blue Kiwi or Telefunken AK-47. They both seem very detailed and present which is really important in Hip-Hop. This mic is for me first and everyone else second. I'll attach a clip of a recent recording of my voice: One with full plugin stack and one dry. This recording, as many, i used proximity effect to get more detailed lower ends of my voice. No room treatment or shield (im working on both now). I use the Apollo Twin + Neve 1073 Emulation so thats what the new mic would be paired with. Any help and/or suggestions on upgrades would be great. Both mics are ~$1,200 each used. I wouldnt want to go over that.
If it’s for YOUR vocal only I suggest to not listen too much on what is said here (or at least taking it as a mere starting point) and TEST some contenders in your place.

I’d suggest you take a look at the Austrian Audio OC818 (or its cardioid only version OC18), since you cone from a mic that should be vaguely, at least, reminiscent of an AKG.

Another option for vocals is the small Milab DC-96B, quite detailed without the harsh topend. Their new DC196 might be also pretty good and within your budget.

If you could get an old (used) Violet Design Amethyst Vintage, might be what you’re looking for.. very big yet detailed lowend, nice bright, non harsh topend..
I describe it as a “better” sounding U87..it has a “cleaner” more extended topend, no honkiness and as said a big and clean lowend.
(There was one for sale some time ago in the GS classifieds).
I’d be careful with the new ones, read horror stories from ppl I trust.

If you want a Neumann look at the TLM107, it’s more than your budget but it has a better topend than the tlm103 imho. Nice mic.

BUT in the end you should test as many mics as possible and keep the ine that fits YOUR vocals (and production goals)..
..including that 103 that I’m not fond with (it might work on your vocals.. I’d definitely buy this used though, from a reputable seller).

Cheu
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

IIRC it was the original AK47 microphone, that landed T-Funk into hot water. Story goes they were rebranding/slapping on their label... On a $200 Chinese LDC.
So if you consider a used AK47, be careful. I'll listen to your your clips later today.

Within Blue, I'd also keep the Blueberry on your short list too.
Chris
Old 2nd September 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
If it’s for YOUR vocal only I suggest to not listen too much on what is said here (or at least taking it as a mere starting point) and TEST some contenders in your place.

I’d suggest you take a look at the Austrian Audio OC818 (or its cardioid only version OC18), since you cone from a mic that should be vaguely, at least, reminiscent of an AKG.

Another option for vocals is the small Milab DC-96B, quite detailed without the harsh topend. Their new DC196 might be also pretty good and within your budget.

If you could get an old (used) Violet Design Amethyst Vintage, might be what you’re looking for.. very big yet detailed lowend, nice bright, non harsh topend..
I describe it as a “better” sounding U87..it has a “cleaner” more extended topend, no honkiness and as said a big and clean lowend.
(There was one for sale some time ago in the GS classifieds).
I’d be careful with the new ones, read horror stories from ppl I trust.

If you want a Neumann look at the TLM107, it’s more than your budget but it has a better topend than the tlm103 imho. Nice mic.

BUT in the end you should test as many mics as possible and keep the ine that fits YOUR vocals (and production goals)..
..including that 103 that I’m not fond with (it might work on your vocals.. I’d definitely buy this used though, from a reputable seller).

Cheu
A lot of options too look into much appreciated brother. I wish i had the opportunity to A|B the handful i have my eyes on but ill make due.
Old 2nd September 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
IIRC it was the original AK47 microphone, that landed T-Funk into hot water. Story goes they were rebranding/slapping on their label... On a $200 Chinese LDC.
So if you consider a used AK47, be careful. I'll listen to your your clips later today.

Within Blue, I'd also keep the Blueberry on your short list too.
Chris
That's crazy tea, i have to look into that, thank you
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Sure thing B. I had a chance to listen. (great voice BTW) IMHO the "Dry" clip actually sounded better to me. For whatever reason(s), the Processed clip has an increase in sibilance. Guessing some high end EQ and/or a bit too much Compression was done, in the 1st clip.

As you may know there is an upgraded version, of the stock CV-12. It was modded by Black Lion Audio. Part of what they do, is to flatten that upper mid bump. (around that sibilance area) IMHO you may also want to consider stepping up to that. Also I wonder, if you sent your mic in instead, would BLA be able to mod it?
Worth a call...

Since your voice sounds so good on a C12-ish mic, I'd consider the Advanced Audio version of the C12 too.
Chris
Old 4th September 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Sure thing B. I had a chance to listen. (great voice BTW) IMHO the "Dry" clip actually sounded better to me. For whatever reason(s), the Processed clip has an increase in sibilance. Guessing some high end EQ and/or a bit too much Compression was done, in the 1st clip.

As you may know there is an upgraded version, of the stock CV-12. It was modded by Black Lion Audio. Part of what they do, is to flatten that upper mid bump. (around that sibilance area) IMHO you may also want to consider stepping up to that. Also I wonder, if you sent your mic in instead, would BLA be able to mod it?
Worth a call...

Since your voice sounds so good on a C12-ish mic, I'd consider the Advanced Audio version of the C12 too.
Chris
I saw the BLA CV12 but i figured if they just flattened the frequency response then its the same mic after you EQ anyways. I also have a Mullard tube i purchased recently that i wanted to try on it and see how it differs.
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

Definitely try the Mullard first. If it were "just EQ" to match the BLA version.... I doubt they'd even do the mod to begin with.
FWIW I can't even EQ a 57/58, to get it to sound exactly like a SM7.

The other thing I wonder about is if you put a nice de-esser, on that 1st/Processed clip.
Chris
P.S. I think the AT4050, would work well on your voice too. Not as bright as the AT4040 or AT4033.
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beonkey View Post
I saw the BLA CV12 but i figured if they just flattened the frequency response then its the same mic after you EQ anyways. I also have a Mullard tube i purchased recently that i wanted to try on it and see how it differs.
Hey beonkey,
look also into the Sanken CU-55, great mic which is surprisingly affordable for what is it..and within your budget!
I forgot to mention it.. sorry..

Very natural, smooth, open but not boosted topend, take eq extremely well.

Top notch mics, unfortunately not so well known (from the mass).

Cheu
📝 Reply