The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ATS Acoustics ??? + another DIY/Corning 703 thread.
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

ATS Acoustics ??? + another DIY/Corning 703 thread.

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

They seem to have reasonable prices on Owens Corning 703 and their own pre made acoustic panels.

Acoustic Panels by ATS Acoustics
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

the contractor place near me is almost half of that price for 2" 703
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Hmm, so you think construction contractors are a better way to go? I wouldn't be surprised.

I was actually more enticed by their pre-made panels... if only because I rarely have the downtime needed to build all the stuff myself. Will I really be saving money by turning away work to wrap oc 703 in burlap myself?

I'm planning on adding treatment to two small-ish live rooms and control room. Total size is just under 900 sqf or so. Strategically placed auralex is up at the moment, but it looks pretty cheesy, and is probably less effective and more money than these panels.

Thoughts?
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

having just completed my room and heard what auralex does in the past...i'd say definitely go with panels....

the clincher for me DIYing them myself was, as is for most people, cost.

figure 38 dollars for theirs...i needed 26 in my room (not including the basstraps for the corners)

that totals 988 bucks

i spent 225 on 703 (5 boxes of 6, so actually 30 pieces)
about 100 on fabric
and about 20 on wood

on top of that...a few bucks for screws, staples, wire to hang em, etc.

after all was said and done, bass traps, clouds, i probably paid 1/3rd of the price, wasn't limited by their color selections, had a product that looked just as good and it's the same exact stuff...

now if i had the money, i would've probably bought them from a supplier, had them come and install them, and build the entire damn room for me...

*shrug* don't though.
Old 5th July 2007
Gear Guru

"I've been planning on building some bass traps.... or I suppose more like "broadband absorbers". Figured I'd just mount some 703 on plywood, leave an air gap from the wall, wrap it in nice looking burlap and call it a day. "

That is a BIG no no.heh You do not want to put any kind of hard wood to the back of them. It may work ok (I stress the word ok ) for reflections but will not work for any kind of bass control. The panel needs to be open in the back and spaced off the wall to work properly. Even reflection panels should be done this way.
Not to brag about our stuff, but that is the reason we put a spacer to the back of them.

Glenn
Old 6th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post

They seem to have reasonable prices on Owens Corning 703 and their own pre made acoustic panels.

I've been planning on building some bass traps.... or I suppose more like "broadband absorbers". Figured I'd just mount some 703 on plywood, leave an air gap from the wall, wrap it in nice looking burlap and call it a day.

Does anyone have recommendations on a plans for building a better basstrap or broadband absorber? I've been going on the info found in Jeff Copper's "Building A Recording Studio" so far...
Yeah you definitely would need to make a frame to put it in. Maybe even drill some holes on the sides.

ATS has been great for me. I purchased about 24 2" mineral wool and some burlap. Has been working great.

You should definitely read up on how to construct these and placement. Learning about that stuff can get quite complicated, but it is a necessity.
Old 6th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post

I've ordered the raw 2"-703 panels from them on 3 seperate occasions and they have been perfect to deal with. I'm also in IL so they had to charge me sales tax which sucked but what can you do. I placed internet orders and the stuff showed up 2 days later everytime. A friend of mine used their pre-made panels and is very happy with them. I only saw them once and didn't look super close though.

Good luck, Jeff
Old 6th July 2007
Lives for gear
I just got three 48" by 24" and three 24" by 24" panels premade by ATS. I just got done with my studio build, and after framing out walls, sheetrocking, putting a new floor in, sealing all sorts of masonry, new windows (all done by myself) I was ****ing tired, and just wanted to be able to hook up the gear and go to town, so the last thing I wanted was something else to build.

The ATS panels were cheap as far as price went, and as Glenn just suggested I went for the open back option for bass trapping, even though the ATS stuff aren't really basstraps. My room is shaped kinda weird, for various reasons I only needed 2 larger panels and 2 smaller panels for mix position, and 1 of each for spot treatment in the drum area, which can be removed and replaced to the makeshift vocal area. Various reflection points in the room have already been treated by using R-19 batts stapled to the wall, covered with burlap, and framed out with some reddish molding from Home Depot. They look pretty ****ing good, actually.

The panels are well made, and it feels like they use rock wool in their premade panels. They are sturdy and look good, and to be honest I don't think I could have made them look quite that good if I did it myself, so I'm glad I bought them premade. I did have some issues with shipping though... I ordered the smaller panels in a different color than the larger panels, and I was first told that the one color was out of stock and I'd have to wait a week. Two weeks go by, so I dropped an email and asked what's going on. Now they're out of the other color. So I had to wait another couple days. Couple days later I got a box from ATS with half my order. There was only one box shipped, and their online order tracking system said my order was complete. Sent another email about the situation and I had the rest of my order in a couple days. Communication was good though. I would do business with them again.
Old 7th February 2009
Here for the gear
Hi all, I just ordered 9 panels from ATS, not arrived yet but soon. They are the cheapest price, and I couldnt justify building them at those prices. As they are NOT truly bass traps-I ordered them (six panels at 4' thick) with NO BACKS its only 4 bucks more for thst option, and my plan is to stack 2 of them up at room rear to make an 8" thick super bass trap, I am sure it will work just fine and was way less then anyone elses bass traps. I have a strict budget, this filled the deal foe me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search