The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Triggered Acoustic Drum timing problem
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear
Triggered Acoustic Drum timing problem

I just used my Ddrum red shot triggers and Roland TMC -6 Trigger to Midi converter for the first time and the results weren't that good.

The drums triggered fine and there weren't too many double hits. The problem I had was that the triggered midi notes were far off from where the actual drum hits were. Overall the entire midi track was late compared to the original drum tracks and I thought this might be corrected by sliding the entire midi track over and lining it with the original drum tracks, but that only put some hits on time. So eventually I had to go in and place each individual midi note on time with the kick, snare, and toms.

Anyone know where I might have gone wrong?
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Welcome to the sloppy 1980's technology called MIDI ...

There is latency in everything. My experience with Roland hardware is that they are some of the worst offenders for midi latency. And it's not just that it's a fixed latency, which could be easily corrected. It's the randomness that sucks.

So you have the latency of the TMC, followed by the latency of your midi interface. Hopefully your midi interface is direct into the PC, or over USB2 or firewire. There will be latency here too, and more so if you have a midi interface connected into another midi interface.

If you are then triggering an external drum module, there is extra latency and slop going out of the box, and the drum module itself will have sloppy latency.

I used to have major issues with midi timing with hardware, and it was a welcome relief when I switched to sample-accurate soft samplers.

You might want to consider using Drumagog. Either trigger from your mics, or record the audio output of your triggers, which will arrive slightly before your mic sound.
Old 5th July 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
You might want to consider using Drumagog. Either trigger from your mics, or record the audio output of your triggers, which will arrive slightly before your mic sound.
I would recommend you to do the same thing, a few years back I struggled with all that ¨triggering acoustic drums¨ scenario and it was a PITA. I never got to a point where I was satisfied with the results, specially with fast music (like metal) with a lot of hits per drum and a lot of double kick drums. Much, much better and easier with Sound Replacer, Drumagog or ApTrigga2 (which ever you prefer).
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear
Thanx for clearing that up for me. I thought I was doing something wrong. I guess I'll take back the TMC-6 and pickup something like Drumagog to do my triggering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search