The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fireface 800 question
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Fireface 800 question

I've worked with this interface / preamp only a few times in the past and only needed limited inputs to get the work done, like 4 external channels. I have something coming up that is going to require me to stretch the I/O capability to the max and have a question for someone more familiar with the unit than I am.

I apparently have 28 ch's of I/O available to me but I'm confused. By my count, I see 8 external analog inputs, 16 ADAT in's and 2 SPDIF for 26 in's. Now, here's my confusion. It looks like if you need to to use the onboard pre's, and have max'd you analog in's in the back, you sacrifice 3 ext analog in's: 1, 7 & 8, right? So this leads me to believe that the extra 2 input's to bring the count to 28, are channels 9 & 10 on the front?

I guess my confusion is that I'd have figured they would have made ALL their internal pre's available, while still allowing you to add more externally, instead of what looks like to me at least, an either or case, which at glancing at the unit is CH1 (speaker emulation, which I'd like to use for bass) and mic ch's 7&8. So, it looks like I lose ext analog inputs 1,7 & 8 if I choose to use the I/O at the front panel.

Am I right in my thinking here? If so, it looks like a slight design flaw, in something that other than this limitation, is a pretty solid piece of gear. Any insights would be appreciated.
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

There are 10 analog I/O, with input 9 & 10 being the last 2 preamp/line inputs on front, and outputs 9 & 10 the stereo headphone out on front.
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are 10 analog I/O, with input 9 & 10 being preamp/line inputs on front, and outputs 9 & 10 the stereo headphone out on front.
Thanks, I understand that. I guess what I was curious about is the fact that I have to substitute 3 ch's of onboard line in / mic pre's by filling up all 8 inputs in the back

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search