The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vst Instruments and mono compatability
Old 4th July 2007
Gear Head

Vst Instruments and mono compatability

Thanks to a couple of great threads here I've begun to mix in mono when I do my eq'ing and compression. Working this way has really brought to my attention how stereo instruments with phasing problems can sound really good and wide in stereo but when collapsed to mono they lose a significant amount of volume, high end, and get increasing muddy in the lower midrange.

I do most of my work with sample instruments. I've noticed that akoustic piano when collapsed to mono really loses a lot of presence. So do the bfd room mics, as well as the east west quantum leap strings.

Am I missing something here? A lot of the time I would rather have a really good mono signal and be able to control the listeners perspective of a given instruments stereo image through the use of delay/reverb as opposed to being locked into a particular width and compensating with eq to clarify the mono signal only to have it sound very different in stereo Is there any way to get better results from instrument libraries like those mentioned above? Or am I doing something else wrong?
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

I agree. The standard of sampling for so called "professional" sample libraries can be very poor. Even the big guns (e.g. Roland) screw up by making mono incompatible products. Everyone is going for the big stereo "shock and awe", and not considering the integrity of sound in a mono mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search