The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Problem with my Mackie mixer or Presonus Monitors?
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear

Problem with my Mackie mixer or Presonus Monitors?

I gotta problem which I'm struggling to solve. The sound from my studio monitors is intermittently losing its top end so I end up with a muffled signal (hi-hats sound flat etc). Sometimes it occurs on one monitor, sometimes the other, sometimes both.

Here are the details:

• Setup: current model Mackie mixer 1402VLZ4 (six months old) + Presonus Eris E5XT monitors (nearly 12 months old).
• Am running TRS to XLR from Control Room outs
• Problem generally occurs on start up for a minute or two then goes away but can reappear intermittently later on.
• As mentioned, it can happen in one monitor one day and then the other on another day. At the moment it's mostly happening on the left channel.

Here's what I've tried:

• Have swapped left and right outs from the Mackie to opposite monitors but the problem is still present on the same monitor.
• Have tried different cables - problem persists.

Here's what else I know:

• The problem is not present in my headphones which are also fed from the same output as the Control Room outs.

Okay, so from the sounds of it, you'd say the monitors are faulty (which would be unusual or unlucky to have the same fault occur in two independent units surely?) But here's the thing....

Sometimes (but not always) one of these two actions can fix the problem:

• If I push the relevant left or right fader up to full it can 'clear the blockage' so to speak and the monitor is normal.

• Likewise if I turn the Hi 12K Eq up on one of the Mackie input channels (usually from my drum machine as the hi-hats are mostly affected) it can sometimes instantly kick the monitor into action.

So my question is, what the hell is going on here and am I sending the monitors or the mixing desk back to the store for a warranty claim?
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Based on your troubleshooting, I agree it is most likely the speakers. You could try another source instead of the Mackie mixer, like your phone.

The classic intermittant and kickstart is the sign of a bad connection somewhere in the speaker, but it can be very hard find out exactly what. It could be anywhere from the input jack, through any internal wire or bad soldering on a component, up to the tweeters themselves. I would start by exercising every switch and control on the speakers (slide switches back and forth several times/turn knobs fully back and forth several times). After that, if they are under warranty and you are not the sort to open it up and check the entire guts, then send it in. Be prepared for them to not find a problem.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattog View Post
I gotta problem which I'm struggling to solve. The sound from my studio monitors is intermittently losing its top end so I end up with a muffled signal (hi-hats sound flat etc). Sometimes it occurs on one monitor, sometimes the other, sometimes both.

Here are the details:

• Setup: current model Mackie mixer 1402VLZ4 (six months old) + Presonus Eris E5XT monitors (nearly 12 months old).
• Am running TRS to XLR from Control Room outs
• Problem generally occurs on start up for a minute or two then goes away but can reappear intermittently later on.
• As mentioned, it can happen in one monitor one day and then the other on another day. At the moment it's mostly happening on the left channel.

Here's what I've tried:

• Have swapped left and right outs from the Mackie to opposite monitors but the problem is still present on the same monitor.
• Have tried different cables - problem persists.

Here's what else I know:

• The problem is not present in my headphones which are also fed from the same output as the Control Room outs.

Okay, so from the sounds of it, you'd say the monitors are faulty (which would be unusual or unlucky to have the same fault occur in two independent units surely?) But here's the thing....

Sometimes (but not always) one of these two actions can fix the problem:

• If I push the relevant left or right fader up to full it can 'clear the blockage' so to speak and the monitor is normal.

• Likewise if I turn the Hi 12K Eq up on one of the Mackie input channels (usually from my drum machine as the hi-hats are mostly affected) it can sometimes instantly kick the monitor into action.

So my question is, what the hell is going on here and am I sending the monitors or the mixing desk back to the store for a warranty claim?
those Mackie VLZ4 series have a pan issue, one thing to try, clean all your 1/4" inserts.
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Some good advice. I'll give all the switches and what-not a good workout and see what happens. Have encountered that sort of thing before especially with gear that is relatively new and needs to be worked-in.
📝 Reply