The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying a vintage U87. Need Help
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Nut

Buying a vintage U87. Need Help

Hi Guys,
I’m looking to buy a vintage U87 or at least the components that make up a U87 and have it put together (which I’ve never had to do or deal with before). Will most likely be also selling my duet and buying an apollo twin as my friend town me the A/D conversion is better and I’ll also be able to use the neve preamp plugin (which can anyone testify will do this mic justice ?)

Anyways, I’m living in los angeles and wondering where I could go about buying one as I would definitely like to test before buying if possible. Any ideas of how I can go about getting one or maybe it’s best to buy vintage components that make the U87 great?

Would really really appreciate this info.

Best,

Zak
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Guru

If you're willing to pay the price, Vintage King. There might be a privately available one somewhere in LA...
Old 13th August 2020
In LA the odds of one coming up locally (eg: CL) is much higher than most other cities if you’d like to go that route. Having one assembled sounds like a terrible idea to me when you can buy one brand new, but maybe that’s just me. Like Drumsound said, VK will certainly have ‘em, as will reverb.

For what you will be paying for a good vintage specimen you could probably just buy an AI used and send it to someone like klaus with fantastic results
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Nut

You guys think it's best to buy a new AI and then get a vintage capsule put in it?
Old 13th August 2020
Best possible way is to befriend a mic tech and have them help you with your purchase. Let them look at pictures - ESPECIALLY THE CAPSULE - and use their experience to make sure you get your money’s worth.

And as Bill Bradley at the mic shop in Nashville told me, never, ever buy a vintage 87 without getting a pic of the capsule.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman4700 View Post
You guys think it's best to buy a new AI and then get a vintage capsule put in it?
Capsules are the same no? Thought it was the electronics that have changed.

If you’re set on buying vintage I would recommend buying from a know dealer vintage king or others. I bought a vintage mic from vintage king which had a problem and they sorted me out. I paid more then if I got it from a private seller but, would have had to pay for a repair that probably would have end up costing more then just buying from VK in the first place.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanlon View Post
Capsules are the same no? Thought it was the electronics that have changed.
U87 capsules (K87) and U87Ai capsules (K870) are not interchangeable. Each version can be modified to work in the other model, but that requires access to spare capsule parts and skills.

I agree with all advice given so far in this thread:
Buy from a reputable dealer with excellent warranty (VK) or buy from a seller who will allow you to inspect the capsule, or who will take pictures of it and have them analyzed for authenticity and condition before committing to the purchase.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman View Post
Best possible way is to befriend a mic tech and have them help you with your purchase. Let them look at pictures - ESPECIALLY THE CAPSULE - and use their experience to make sure you get your money’s worth.

And as Bill Bradley at the mic shop in Nashville told me, never, ever buy a vintage 87 without getting a pic of the capsule.
That's great advice. Appreciate that. Will need to find one in LA.
📝 Reply