The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yet another converter thread...
Old 4th July 2007
Here for the gear

Yet another converter thread...

My apologies for kicking off another thread on the wholly subjective topic of converter quality, but its alot of money im considering sinking so i need to do some homework.

Im looking to buy a converter or set of converters to pipe audio in and out of my analog desk and rack. Iv got a lightbridge and am running pro-tools m-powered, and my options so far i think are either the SSL alpha link adat, or a bank of behringer ada8000's.

Now i know thats abit of a stretch there, going from the SSL to the behringer, but the price of the behringers is a third of the SSL, and it is only a project studio. With the behringers at least ill always have the option of upgrading.

But saying that converting from digital to analog and back again is going to be introducing some rough artifacts to the signal (not that i need to tell you guys that), so im thinking i should really go for the best converter i can .

As a side note i know the SSL alpha links used to be the soundscape converters before SSL bought them up, so is there anything new under the hood or has SSL just slapped their sticker on the front? Thats more just curiosity as i have had many engineer friends say the soundscape stuff rocks anyway.

So, any thoughts on the two products mentioned or indeed any alternatives that hit around the same price point. Please bear in mind the issues iv brought up that will effect my decision, as in it is only a project studio for my band and our mutual friends and the budget is limited.
Within that, any and all input welcome.

Thanks
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Behringer. Bargepole. Don't.

If quantity is more important than quality, perhaps consider the M-Audio Octane M-AUDIO - Octane - 8-channel Preamp and A/D Converter with ADAT Lightpipe instead of Behringer.

Or Presonus Digimax96 PreSonus

If you have s/pdif i/o, I think it's worth investing in at least one high quality a/d and d/a. For the bulk of your overdub work, and for sending stuff out and back into the box.
Old 5th July 2007
Here for the gear

Brilliant, thanks for the advice kiwi.

Maby i should explain my setup in abit more depth, as there is a reason that i singled out the behringers and the ssl as my choices.

I do my tracking through a 4 channel TLA tube pre and a 4 channel 7th circle pre, and iv just aquired a soundtracs PC MIDI 24 to compliment my outboard. I intend to track into pro-tools (m-powered) then group ITB and send out to my soundtracs console for mixing. I know this is archaic and i know all the arguements for ditching the console, but before anyone gets started im sticking with it.

So what i need is 16 to 24 channels of bi-directional A/D and D/A io, not preamps.
The ssl looks mightily attractive, and after your advice kiwi most probably what ill be going for... start as you mean to go on and all that....

Anyone else got two cents?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search