The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Compression & Metering
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Compression & Metering

Okay, I've been recording for maybe a month or two now. It took me about 9 months getting my studio rolling, but now I'm pretty active.

I'm recording to 1/4" tape. It's an 8-track with VU meters, actually their light meters. I don't know what the technical name is. I'm not scholarly. They don't work that well anyway.

I'm curious how people can say 'just listen, man. You'll know if it's good or not'. To me, that's like driving down San Fernando Blvd with the seat fully cocked. Sure, you'll make most of the lights, but what happens when it peaks?

I have a vari-mu compressor that's in-lieu of getting repaired. Does compression help ensure more green lights on this mother? I feel like I couldn't live without meters in fear of running red.

Am I missing something? Is this something that's just learned over time?
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for Jesus

Metering means nothing if there not aligned/calibrated properly

Run a 1K tone at 0VU from the console to your multitrack and the meters should read 0VU,.... then run it back into the desk tape/line ins and the channels should read 0VU on the individual channels

First you need to make sure the multitrack is calibrated

Proper gain staging is easy and very important

Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Proper gain staging is easy and very important
Word, sounds awesome. My tech had a tool to run a tone through my system when he calibrated my monitors.

What is that called?
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for Jesus

Tone Generator ?

there are a few ways to go about this to get a ruff idea if your close

PT can generate tones, Test CD , synth with a pure 1K or 440 HZ tone

Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

K...

I need the Home Depot, Pacific Radio kinda stuff.

If I can't plug it in XLR or 1/4" it gets complicated, well, not for most folks. But I'll see if I can find a CD. I have a Powerbook. I could try to run it from that. That would be a lesson in patchbay traffic that I could tackle.

Hmmmm. (There isn't a hmmm face)
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for Jesus

Google is fun

i havent tried them but these might work, there short

Download Audio Tone Files

Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Also, don't forget how ****ing slow VU meters actually are.
Old 4th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Also, don't forget how ****ing slow VU meters actually are.
He said "light" meters, I am assuming LED...?

What kind of machine is it, Soupking? My second studio setup in the early 90's was a Fostex M80 8 track 1/4" and man...I miss that thing at times!

War
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
He said "light" meters, I am assuming LED...?

What kind of machine is it, Soupking? My second studio setup in the early 90's was a Fostex M80 8 track 1/4" and man...I miss that thing at times!

War
Yup, that's the one! Model 80. I have a Tascam 38 too, but 1/4" tape's a lot less expensive, and it sounds awesome. It's my roommate's. He's a professional tech, which is a good thing too. The thing needed work. He spent some hours on it. Now only a few of the LED meters don't work. It's a HUGE step up from using a Portastudio for practice though. That Portastudio might as well come with a noise generator.

He has a tone generator. When he gets back into town, I'll ask him where he got his. He calibrated the monitors with the same tool.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search