The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Removing white noise
Old 4th July 2007
Gear Head

Removing white noise

Got a file from a client, it's a man giving a lecture...probably the most white noise I have ever heard on a recording. I tried using sound soap and x-noise, no luck, I tried all kinds of eq and compression combos, umm...no luck. Anybody have any tips, suggestions for this type of stuff? I put a tiny bit of it up to give an idea of the condition of the audio. Thanks.
Attached Files

white.mp3 (500.9 KB, 259 views)

Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

i love noise reduction threads! i ran it through a broadband noise reducer and a multiband noisegate but pretty much butchered the sound to make it unuseable.

if anyone has a Cedar i would love to see what that can do to this file?
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

With that much noise you will have to settle for artifacts or just reducing it little bit...

Sounds like a mic in a Line in....
Old 4th July 2007
Gear Guru

good lord!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Man I really had faith that I could do something with it...

I tried 6 instantiations of x- noise each taking a little out and the next learning the noise again and taking out a little etc etc....
the artifacts get so bad....and sometimes he goes off mic and you totally loose what he is saying ...forget it...

Sorry man ...book him in to role play it and take an impulse of the auditorium and put it in an ir reverb and use some canned audience noise etc....

Fake it...

The recording is .........dfegad
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

The noise reduction didn't work too well .....

....but you could use this in a Sci-fi film.
Attached Files

whiteNR.mp3 (368.2 KB, 144 views)

Old 4th July 2007
Gear Head

Yea, I suspected that removing this much noise was virtually impossible. The kicker is that this guy has 24 full length cd's of stuff like this that he wants cleaned. I can't imagine how this happened. When I got the file and started working with it I began to think someone was playing a practical joke on me...oh well. I'd like to meet the guy who engineered the recordings
Old 5th July 2007

It is a stereo recording, right? I wonder if there is a way to correllate the left and right channels and throw everything else out?

If you can clean it up, make sure you charge this guy a lot.

-tINY

Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Hey,

Is he still actively doing that lecture. I do some lecture stuff for a friend of mine and he is in and out of lots of different places. The cd's come to me as one track, sometimes there good, but usually there is some level of white noise. I have to say that is pretty bad. If one came to me from my friend like that I would tell him to wait until he gave the lecture again and the recording came out good. Hopefully that's possible. Also, what are his expectations? My friend gives his stuff away. Alot of these people want their message to get out, it's about helping people, not necessarily producing audio excellence. Is he going to try and sell it, or does he just want to be able to turn up the volume without causing himself physical pain? I will see what I can do with it later tonight when I get home. I have some tricks up my sleeve, but I will say I'm doubtful.

Repost soon,

Brian

P.S. That probably was not an engineer, but little Johnny who is interested in recording and live sound. I can hear the announcement, " We need someone to help with the sound board and recording equipement."
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Ok,

I was listening to that on my mother-in-laws computer which has little 2" woofers. I knew it was bad, bad that really does deserve the "Good Lord" comment of above. I tried to eq it out while watching inspector. I layered para eq's on top of each other. Everything was gone from 1K on up and 100hz down. I tried highpass, lowpass and bandwidth filters, layering them in the chain. It really is white noise across the whole spectrum. I was hoping it was just bad pre-amps and poor gain staging. I came to the conclusion that the engineer must have shot white noise through the pa and used an rta to flatten the pa. Then he pressed the main mix buttons on the channel it was sent through instead of muteing it or turning it off. It was still going to tape and he did not monitor his tape send with head phones. I can't imagine that the white noise was comming through the pa also. I thought of this later, but mabye if you recorded white noise on a seperate track, reversed the phase and the moved the track around you could cancel alot of it out leaving the voice in place. Seems like you would need the same white noise source. 24 full length cd's is a lot of work and worth giving it a try. Beyond that, he's probly going to have to be happy with some amount of noise and his voice being altered. I'll repost if I get anyware with it.

Brian
Old 5th July 2007
Gear Head

Hey Brian,

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll see if I can take that white noise and flip the phase as you described. I'm not sure what the clients expectations are I haven't spoken with him since I got the file. Let me know if you have any luck, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Nate

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search