The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tell me about 3U audio mics
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth View Post
CM47fet is $295 and cardioid Warblers are $270 so it's not as much of a difference as you think. Warblers have multiple voicings (and imho much better capsules) so that makes them more versatile for me but the option of omni could be useful on the 47 if you really need it.
Didn't the GZ's use to be more expensive than the Warblers? I though the GZ had the better transformers in etc. I had a GZ47fetV, and it was full of good stuff, AMI transformer etc
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
Didn't the GZ's use to be more expensive than the Warblers? I though the GZ had the better transformers in etc. I had a GZ47fetV, and it was full of good stuff, AMI transformer etc
CM47fet is AA, not 3U
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
CM47fet is AA, not 3U
3U have a mic called GZ47fet, hense the confusion. its a step up from the Warbler quality wise.

Just to make matters more confusing, the 3U GZ47fet is NOT a copy of the U47fet, its a fet version of the U47 tube version.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
3U have a mic called GZ47fet, hense the confusion. its a step up from the Warbler quality wise.

Just to make matters more confusing, the 3U GZ47fet is NOT a copy of the U47fet, its a fet version of the U47 tube version.
Then I'm confused by your earlier question, of course the GZ mics were/are more expensive than the warblers but we were specifically talking about the 47 from AA, not 3U.

GZs tasty tasty transformers and capsules (which are just about as good as a capsule gets) are sold separately so if you really feel like the former in your Warbler isn't living up to expectations (and it will live well beyond your expectations) you can swap 'em out for something new.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
CM47fet is $295 and cardioid Warblers are $270 so it's not as much of a difference as you think.
By the time I work out fees/customs/etc, the CM47fet is a little cheaper than the regular (fixed pattern) warbler series.
Old 15th August 2020
Quote:
GZ will get back to you as soon as he can by email but the eBay store is only available in some countries and as the above reply says 3U Audio is GZ and GZ alone for the most part so don't expect instant replies like you might from a multinational
What do you mean by "GZ"?
Old 15th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
What do you mean by "GZ"?
Guosheng Zhuang, the owner/creator/designer for 3U Audio
Old 21st August 2020
Gear Nut

Is anyone refitting existing/budget mics with 3u capsules? Any well-trodden paths in this regard?
Dave at AA suggested I refit mxl990 with his AK47, which I'm looking forward to trying out.
Old 21st August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrand View Post
Is anyone refitting existing/budget mics with 3u capsules? Any well-trodden paths in this regard?
Dave at AA suggested I refit mxl990 with his AK47, which I'm looking forward to trying out.
why? just buy a 3U or AA if you like them and be done.

The road to saving money always leaves you poorer in this game..
Old 21st August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrand View Post
Modifications BAN BE very economical ways to improve the tone of a mic if you know what you're doing like Joly did, but for most of us plebs it's just a pathway to wasting a bunch of money, like tube rolling.
Old 22nd August 2020
Lives for gear
3U mics are legit. Warm Audio use 3U audio capsules for some of their mics. And I'm sure other more boutique mic brands too.
Old 22nd August 2020
Gear Maniac

Chris from Barbaric Audio sometimes uses their capsules too (as well as all the other usual suspects), at least he was 5 years ago I was chatting to him.
Old 22nd August 2020
Here for the gear
Just a quick aside about doing business with 3U:

I ordered a Mk1D a couple of months ago, via eBay. It arrived in half the quoted time, and I've used it quite a bit since then.

This week, I ordered a shock mount for it, again via eBay. Within 15 minutes, I had a note from GZ saying, "Is this for your Mk1D? If so, this is the wrong shock mount; you want *this* one." He was right. That's good customer service.
Old 22nd August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cage View Post
Just a quick aside about doing business with 3U:

I ordered a Mk1D a couple of months ago, via eBay. It arrived in half the quoted time, and I've used it quite a bit since then.

This week, I ordered a shock mount for it, again via eBay. Within 15 minutes, I had a note from GZ saying, "Is this for your Mk1D? If so, this is the wrong shock mount; you want *this* one." He was right. That's good customer service.
I rem a similar level of service - really good guy!
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixertrix View Post
why? just buy a 3U or AA if you like them and be done.

The road to saving money always leaves you poorer in this game..
Oh gosh yeah, modding is like a bad gateway drug, eh.
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Nut

I ordered a Teal CM1 SE on the 17th and tracking shows it arriving tomorrow - So nine days from China - not bad .
📝 Reply