The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need some suggestions please. Condenser Microphones
Old 24th March 2004
Here for the gear

Need some suggestions please.

I'm looking to invest about $15,000 into a home studio.
I already bought a Lynx Two-B, so that's $819.00 off the $15,000

I need a pre-amp, monitors, headphones, and mics.

I record rap/r&b/hip hop vocals, so any suggestions you have will be helpful.
Old 24th March 2004
Lives for gear

Are you doing any live recording besides vocals? exp(Drums bass, Gtr) or is it strictly midi production/
Old 24th March 2004
Here for the gear

Nothing except for vocals.
Old 24th March 2004
Lives for gear

Soooooo. . .

That's a pretty open call for advice. Have you considered Behringer products? You can see that I am being foolish and silly. Here's my point. . . You're waaaaaay wide open here on a topic that is well covered. Start running searches on these topics and you will see that they have discussed to the nth degree.

Refine what you want to talk about and you'll find that people here are very nice and willing to share their insights, but my guess is that you won't get a lot of play with this sort of post.

With that said, I heartily recommend the Rode NT2 and Focusrite platinum series. They're brittle, yet harsh and distasteful.

Tunes.
Old 24th March 2004
Here for the gear

mic: Get the best Neumann condenser that you can buy.
pre: Get the Avalon ... its somewhat of an industry standard (plus its great for warming up kicks and basses and such)
monitors: Get the Mackie hr824s. These own for hiphop.

This is all IMO, of course!
Old 24th March 2004
Lives for gear

Perhaps a multipattern, large diaphragm condenser like Neumann M149, Soundelux U195, U47 or Elux 251. Lawson has some good mics too.

How many channels do you intend on recording at once? What about in the future? What kind of experience do you have in recording? What other gear do you have other than the Lynx II card?

Don't forget the acoustic treatment. Perhaps some realtraps are in order.
Old 24th March 2004
Lives for gear

Sony C800G mic $6500
GML 2020 pre/eq/compressor $6000
Sony MDR-7506 headphones $100
OZ HR4 headphone amp $180
Mackie HR824 Monitors $1200 or so..

This is my suggestion...

I didn't suggest Neumanns or Avalons because I've tracked plenty of rap/hip/hop vocals and know there's better stuff out there if you're willing to pay for it....

You could also save some cash of the pre/compressor and get a lunchbox with an api pre and a compressor...I love the API pre's on hip/hop vocals, you could even get a different brand compressor....
Old 24th March 2004
Lives for gear

I'm sure everyones giving you great advice, ( hey ease up on um tunesmith..lol) The avalon is great but if i had 15.000 to spend on home recording in the genere you're speaking of, I would consider Protools digi 002 rack or some sort of equvilent. Mac G5. Waves Ren. or Plat. bundle. ( Thats close to $5k and of course the latest pro tools le)

I would start out with Mytec(sorry for spelling) converters, although the Digi 002 has good converters but not great .(another$2k)

Preamps are like underware (many many styles and flavas) colored, transparent,warm are just a few descripts that come to mind. One underrated pre (IMHO) that I love for tracking MIDI tracks and live Gtrs is my Summit TPA 200b. Three different stereo sets of inputs, hi z, line and mic. I also use 2 focusrite red 6's mic pres and eq's. So say a Summit TPA200 b tube pre (or =) and 1 Avalon or Focusrite ISA pre. ($3500)

1Pr of Adam s2a monitors period!! ( sub can be added later) ($2800)

For hip hop R&B I would try a Neuman TLM 103 for starters ($827)

1 distressor EL8 wth brit mode $1600. ( hey don't fall asleep on me)

Thats $15,727!. The mytek and the second pre are optional...lol

Then I would save up and purchase a Crane song Ibis or nightpro eq3 or massive Pass, Eventide orville, Tube tech Cl1b......
The list goes on and on.

But like Tunesmith is saying,this **** is so subjective you could like a bunch of behringers, and a wackie and do the job if thats in your mind. Gotta do the research, easier said the done
Old 25th March 2004
Lives for gear

All I was saying was that it seemed like an unresearched post, that's all. I have no axe to grind. I am actually suprised that as many people responded as they did. If you look at a more specific question, such as the thread about synth bass, you'll see that there was a lot of interest sparked.

I know people like to get advice, it just struck me as a little amusing, that's all.

Tunes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search