The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Intimate fat vocal sounds on the way in
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Intimate fat vocal sounds on the way in

Hey guys,
I'll try to keep it short.

I'm working on my upcoming album which is in the 70's pop rock style.

I'm really happy I figured out my vocal chain for the songs with the full band:

Mojave MA201 FET (upgraded with handmade K47 capsule from Beesneez)
Avalon M5
Apollo 8p MKII

Now this setup is great when the vocals need to fit in a tight space, low end is very controlled, mids focused, highs nice texture never harsh. OK

BUT 3 songs of the album are more minimalistic in the way of Joni Mitchell Hejira's album with percussions and acoustic guitar in open tunings and stuff.

I would like to get a piece of gear that would give me a fatter sound for these tracks where the vocals have more place to be upfront.
(My Mojave doesn't have much proximity effect unfortunately, but it sounds great otherwise)

The Avalon M5 is the only pre that I own and yes it's super detailed but not much mojo added. Since I heard the difference between a stand alone high-end pre and UAD emulations I really want another preamp, sorry UA the emulation is missing 5-10% of the sound.

I also have other mics, for ex I have a vintage Gefell (RFT) MV691 with the omni capsule M69 (there again sounds great but no proximity effect on an omni capsule).
I have the possibility to borrow a Mojave MA300 (tube LDC)
I have an original SM58 with the unidyne capsule (but doesn't sound right in the M5 for vocals, great on snare though.
I also have a KMS 105 but there too I'm not getting what I want.

---

I have been considering to get a UA Solo610 for example.
Also getting a cardioid capsule for my Gefell but somehow I'm more keen to get another fatter pre.
I know a guy selling a used Manley mono pre.

Soooo does anyone have a recommendation for a FAT rich preamp ?
UA 610 ? Great River ? 1073 style ? Manley ?
Or how about another microphone like the TLM103 for that exaggerated proximity effect ?

Has someone ever tried to plug a fet Mojave in a 610 or other fat tube pre ?
Has anyone have experience comparing the M5 and the 610 ?
---

Thanks a lot for your help, be all strong and stay healthy

Leo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When I hear intimate and fat vocals I think a U47 mic up close, 1073 and compression on the way down.
Old 3 weeks ago
No expert here and have no experience with the mic, but I recently read this thing about Nick Drake and the recording of Riverman – U67 on vocals, sounds very fat and present across the spectrum, but that might also be down to the Fairchild.

Last edited by Aktuba; 3 weeks ago at 06:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktuba View Post
No expert here and have no experience with the mic, but I recently read this thing about Nick Drake and the recording of Riverman – U67 on vocals, sounds very fat and present across the spectrum, but that might also be down to the Fairchild.
It was also his voice and style of writing. Some people just sound the way they do no matter what you throw up there.

A lot of the early recordings that came out of the Sound Techniques recording studio had a purity and wide bandwidth compared to other english studios at the time. They didn't muck it up with processing because they didn't have much there to begin with. Not to mention the way the console design was and the fact they made use of the live room to not have to close mic everything. Lastly like it was customary in the 70's they tweaked their plates and chambers to give them their own specific reverb sounds.

People always liken Beck "Sea Change" to a modern version of an intimate but wide sound. Its the same ideas in production...simple.
Not too much in the way to muck things up, make the use of the right acoustic space and customize everything else to fit the result.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I would rely on the mic for the sound, not the pre.
Some mics I have that give me that sound (regardless of the pre):

U87
Blue Kiwi
Peluso 2247 SE

Mostly the 2247
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for these replies,
Has someone had experience with similar pieces of gear as the ones I listed above ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just pull out your credit card and order the Great River and the UA 610, one of these will do what you want compared to the Avalon.

Send the one you like less back... unless you're a geatslut with a bunch of money then keep the two of them just in case you might need them both.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Leo, is this the kind of vocal weight you're aiming for? (brief vocal clip below) I have some further thoughts, if you think this is along the lines of "Fat/Thick".

If you're looking for something different, IMHO referencing a well known song and/or giving us a clip of your own... Can only help with even more specific advice.

Please keep in mind this is one of my "practice vocals". It's a one take/off the cuff recording.
And I had a slight Pre-Pandemic Cold, so my natural rasp got accentuated a bit.

What do you guys think of a having a nice (Hardware) Pultec Clone and a 1176 Clone, on the front end to fatten things up?
BTW one of my best friends, has that Avalon M5. We recorded one of my vocals on it-worked great!
Chris
P.S. I listened to "Riverman"/Nick Drake. Incredible recording. Along the lines of what I have in mind.
Attached Files

Song 73ImgonnaloveyouP120.mp3 (482.8 KB, 199 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes U47 > Neva > compressor.

I’ve not heard your mic so can’t say whether you might be better of changing the mic.
However, the Cranborne Audio Camden or upcoming EC2 would be my recommendation for a preamp. Check out the demos of the website to hear the tone of the Mojo feature!

https://www.cranborne-audio.com/camdenec2

I would also consider adding a tracking compressor. I’m using the cheap Klark Teknik KT-2a and this helps to,fatten the vocal sound and put them more upfront.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear