The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who is happy with the current Universal Audio LA-2A?
Old 1 week ago
Who is happy with the current Universal Audio LA-2A?

I spent some time on a long session where the UA LA-2A was used on acoustic guitar, bass, and vocals with Portico and API mic pre's. I didn't ask the engineer if he was happy with it because everyone in the room was so pleased with how each of the tracks sounded. After several hours, I asked what he thought of the plug in models. He said they were useful, sounded good but the hardware added some clarity the plug in lacked. It was part of the signal rather than being on top of the signal.

He said the new UA versions don't sound like the old ones and of course each old one sounds different from the other. He likes using the new ones over old ones because he knows how it will react to the signal and knows what sound he will get no matter what studio he works in. With there being a consistency with the new ones, he doesn't worry about screwing up a take due to the settings he used while tracking.

Anyone else have a similar experience with the LA-2A?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

NOTHING new sounds like the old original stuff. Old original stuff doesn't sound the same as other original stuff of the same model. I like and often prefer the old version. I like and often prefer the new version. It's a great very useful tool I use daily on various sources and in various chains. What else is there to stay?

Like a lot of vintage gear, I myself don't think the price of vintage one is in anyway justified for what it provides to me in value.
Old 6 days ago
I have a newer one; a few years old. I've also used plenty of old ones. Both are fine. The new ones sound great.

Old paradigms die hard. it's funny how rarely anyone ever says, "Hey, the new version sounds better than the original!" As if with every passing day, it's impossible to create anything new that stands up to what was made yesterday. Or 50 years ago. Rupert Neve will argue with you, claiming that his new designs are superior to his old designs. But we tend to like that which we are most used to.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I have one and I love it. Not tried a plugin that does the same thing.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B36arin View Post
I have one and I love it. Not tried a plugin that does the same thing.
Me too... and agree

I have an early re-issue, with the serialnr in the early 300
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear