The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help With Stereo Or Figure 8 PZM/Boundary Mics
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Help With Stereo Or Figure 8 PZM/Boundary Mics

I've been wanting an X/Y PZM for a while, the only one I can find is a discontinued AT. Shure makes these MX396 two and three capsule mics intended for boardrooms and such, and I wonder if they might be useful in either a stereo array or quasi figure 8 (basically fake fig 8 via stereo hypercard elements).

In case you can't tell, this has three elements at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, all facing outward, with some adjustment for angle, none of which equal X/Y, though. The two element version is set up with the capsules 180* opposed.

Thanks for any input, I like this idea, it's not a expensive experiment, and I'm quite curious. PZMs are fascinating, they're not the sexiest gear but IMO they're one of the smartest budget purchases you can make, especially for drum recording.
Attached Thumbnails
Help With Stereo Or Figure 8 PZM/Boundary Mics-shure-microflex-mx396-tri-condenser-microphone-housing.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

just use two cardioids as pzm's...

IF using pzm's/blm's, imo there's NOT much of a point bringing the capsule close together as the absence of early reflection yields a poor soundfield in terms of localisation (so you're losing one of the essential features of an x/y setup)...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
just use two cardioids as pzm's...

IF using pzm's/blm's, imo there's NOT much of a point bringing the capsule close together as the absence of early reflection yields a poor soundfield in terms of localisation (so you're losing one of the essential features of an x/y setup)...

Much as I enjoy the technical aspects of microphones, I do not understand PZMs well at all. So because you don't get a lot the bouncing sound from what PZMs specifically accentuate/attenuate, the closeness of the capsules (for X/Y) matters much less? I wish I could see the capsule layout of the stereo AT mic, they're not super rare but they don't come up for sale very often. The Shure MX (and single capsule ATs) come out of boardrooms or theaters and are all over eBay for $15.

I'm not married to X/Y either, but what's best, spaced pair or ORTF, you think?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
Much as I enjoy the technical aspects of microphones, I do not understand PZMs well at all. So because you don't get a lot the bouncing sound from what PZMs specifically accentuate/attenuate, the closeness of the capsules (for X/Y) matters much less? I wish I could see the capsule layout of the stereo AT mic, they're not super rare but they don't come up for sale very often. The Shure MX (and single capsule ATs) come out of boardrooms or theaters and are all over eBay for $15.

I'm not married to X/Y either, but what's best, spaced pair or ORTF, you think?
early reflections help us to localize a sound in the stereo (or surround) soundfield; it's not that pzm's/blm's somehow 'attenuate' early reflections but due to their position on the floor, there are almost no early reflections getting to the capsules; it's almost nothing but direct and diffuse sound.

if you want to compensate for that (to some extent), don't lift up pzm's from the floor (or you create a hpf) but use artificial reflection (efx devices) and use some amount of spacing between two mics...

...so no: when using pzm's, coincident or close to coincident mic techniques are mostly a bad idea and i find designs using two or more capsules close together pretty much pointless: better use a single blm (for a wider pickup) or then a spaced pair (to get delay time stereophony).

there's no mystery in pzm's or blm's: just put any cardioid or omni mic on the floor and they become a pzm or blm! you'll notice the somewhat higher output when using the same amount of gain so they are useful on relatively quite instruments - or when the sightlines need to stay clear: i've been using a trio of blm's (and some spot mics) to pick up entire orchestras! not my favourite technique but it can work...

other than this, i mostly use them inside kick, cajon and to pick up large organs (a single blm in addition to the main pair for some sort of 2.1 recording).
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear