The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hardware or ITB for strictly recording Hip Hop Vocals?
Old 1 week ago
Hardware or ITB for strictly recording Hip Hop Vocals?

Hey guys!

Im having a real hard time coming to a decision on whether or not I should go hardware or in the box when it comes to my music. I do hip hop vocals. Nothing more!

The hardware I have at the moment are the Avalon 737 and UA 6176. Now my problem is since Ive gotten into the UAD Apollo Twin workflow, im getting used to the plugins and the benefits that come with it.

The person I bought the avalon from first asked me why I am going for the avalon when I have the apollo twin. At the time I didnt understand exactly how relevant the plugins were. 5 years ago we're talking here!

If it helps im working with the u87ai.

Please help guide me to a conclusion. Considering all I am working on is recording my vocals. I dont want to regret selling these when they could be better than the plugins etc.

What dyou guys think?

Kind regards,

Pars
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

My intention in saying this is to help you out in the event that this has legitimately slipped your mind:

You are, by far, in a much better position to make a judgement about your hardware and the plugs because you have them now in your studio.

In fact, you should be telling other folks in a similar position what they should do with that hardware.

One exception: you are not confident in your own opinion due to a deficiency in your playback or in your skill set. Then, Iโ€™d advise not making any drastic changes until those issues are taken care of.

Otherwise, who cares whether we think your gear is hip or better than Apollo plugs. Not really anyoneโ€™s decision!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbratcher View Post
My intention in saying this is to help you out in the event that this has legitimately slipped your mind:

You are, by far, in a much better position to make a judgement about your hardware and the plugs because you have them now in your studio.

In fact, you should be telling other folks in a similar position what they should do with that hardware.

One exception: you are not confident in your own opinion due to a deficiency in your playback or in your skill set. Then, Iโ€™d advise not making any drastic changes until those issues are taken care of.

Otherwise, who cares whether we think your gear is hip or better than Apollo plugs. Not really anyoneโ€™s decision!
You are absolutely correct.

In general though wjbratcher, could you go far with just plugins? just to make good quality vocals?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRebz View Post
You are absolutely correct.

In general though wjbratcher, could you go far with just plugins? just to make good quality vocals?
Of course you can. Many do it.

But as has been pointed out - you can choose what you do. you can compare, contrast and decide!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Imo keep the gear, reason given is that you get that front end analog mojo right from the start, which then decent quality plugin can take over and you will likely use less processing with that setup.

Faster results.

But i also understand the workflow thing, on another hand i would go with whatever gives me the best results.

Last edited by Mr.vybz; 1 week ago at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Clarity.
Old 1 week ago
There is an Avalon 737 UAD Unison preamp plugin now. Compare it with your real Avalon and see what you think.

I also have an Apollo twin and I use DSP compressors and EQs. I like how you can track with them on but not record them.

With the Avalon, you have to print with the EQ and compressor on in order to use them. That's fine if you're happy with the sound but if you make a mistake, it's an issue. If you're recording someone else, it's easy to hear an issue and adjust it on the Avalon. If you're recording yourself, it's more difficult.

I use external preamps with the Apollo twin though. If all you're using with the Avalon is the preamp and not the compression and EQ, you could sell it and buy a desktop preamp and make a profit.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwatson View Post
There is an Avalon 737 UAD Unison preamp plugin now. Compare it with your real Avalon and see what you think.

I also have an Apollo twin and I use DSP compressors and EQs. I like how you can track with them on but not record them.

With the Avalon, you have to print with the EQ and compressor on in order to use them. That's fine if you're happy with the sound but if you make a mistake, it's an issue. If you're recording someone else, it's easy to hear an issue and adjust it on the Avalon. If you're recording yourself, it's more difficult.

I use external preamps with the Apollo twin though. If all you're using with the Avalon is the preamp and not the compression and EQ, you could sell it and buy a desktop preamp and make a profit.
May i ask how do you bypass the preamp on the apollo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.vybz View Post
Imo keep the gear, reason given is that you get that front end analog mojo right from the start, which then decent quality plugin can take over and you will likely use less processing with that setup.

Faster results.

But i also understand the workflow thing, on another hand i would go with whatever gives me the best results.
May I also ask what does mojo mean in this aspect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Of course you can. Many do it.

But as has been pointed out - you can choose what you do. you can compare, contrast and decide!
Ive been told grammy award winning songs have had plugins used on them. I was just wondering if I really need the hardware if I am good to go with plugins. Because I could use that money on further more plugins and build my options.

Newbie just learning the other side of the studio room thats all!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
See here to get idea of what im saying:

Plugin Compressor vs Hardware Compressor
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
See here to get idea of what im saying:

Plugin Compressor vs Hardware Compressor
Thank you!

The more I read that thread the more it became a heated debate lol

I have the chance to use both and see what suits me better.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRebz View Post
Thank you!

The more I read that thread the more it became a heated debate lol

I have the chance to use both and see what suits me better.
Your Welcome, and yes you do, so choose wisely and more on. But please try driving the gain into your pre or comp, even both lol that where plugins fall short but remeber gain-staging is very important in all aspects of audio.

Cheers.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Your Welcome, and yes you do, so choose wisely and more on. But please try driving the gain into your pre or comp, even both lol that where plugins fall short but remeber gain-staging is very important in all aspects of audio.

Cheers.
Sorry before I stop pestering you what do you mean driving the gain into my pre?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
See here:

Preamp saturation

No worries, alot of things to understand and stuff can get alittle overwhelming.

Glad i can help, if all fails asked uncle google

Last edited by Mr.vybz; 6 days ago at 04:23 AM.. Reason: No worries.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear