The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A nice mic for a new decade.
Old 30th June 2020
A nice mic for a new decade.

'Sup Slutz!
I'm wanting to purchase a pretty nice mic or two fairly mics for my approaching milestone birthday. I have roughly $1100USD ($1500CAD) budgeted but am willing to go a little over if necessary.
I know there are similar posts (I've spent a lot of time on this site) but none with my exact details and it would be helpful to get some advice.

I have an SM7b and my voice sounds really good in it. It's my main rock mic. I have an NT1a and it's okay.
I'm running a FMR RNP into a RNC into a Rolang Duo-Capture.
I record mainly in my living room. It's fairly dead there's a book case spanning the length of one wall and 1/3 of the opposite wall is at a 45 degree angle. I have an ambient reflection filter but rarely need it. I manage to produce pretty good vocal recordings for my friends and me.

I'm looking for a large diaphragm condensor or a ribbon or one of each.

Ideally I want something with a lot of vibe and a little je nais se quoi. Something that is airy and a bit dark. My primary uses will be acoustic guitar and voice (operatic choir overdubs, airy falsetto and the like)

The guy at my local music store was trying to sell me on an Aston Spirit.
I've also considered TLM102, 103, KSM44A, c414, c314, AT4050, AT 4047, R121, R10.

I know that I should take all of these home and try them but it's a lot of mics and some of them aren't available to rent. So, if I can widdle down the list a bit I will have something to work with.

Or do I hold off and save for a U47 or something epic?

Thanks very much everybody!
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear
In that price range your looking at advanced audio.
https://advancedaudio.ca/
Dave has raised the bar for china made caps.

Another cool one is the Toneluxe37
http://tonelux.com/product/jc37/

First you have to decide what tube flavor you want: 12, 37, 47, 67, 251, 414, 800
Just in case: AGK C12, Sony C37A, Neumann U47-67, ELAM251, AKG414EB, Sony C800G
Go check out recording hacks to help with that.
http://recordinghacks.com/

Then decide how much you want to spend on that flavor. Find the best used mic with the cap and design you want.

I would say for new, the starting point should be a CM67se. 1K$ for decent U67ish mic with remote tube pattern control.

Lawson also makes great clones in that price range.
https://www.lawsonmicrophones.com/

The very best, most of us will never get to use is:
http://www.josephson.com/

Few new ones are getting good reviews here:
https://chandlerlimited.com/
The TG is in your price range

If you run into them, the old Groove Tubes MD1A, MD2, MD2A, MD3, MD3A they are worth picking up. The rest including MD1B are not worth getting. The MD3 uses a Josephson cap!

Bock, Flea, barberic, nordic, are all worth being aware of.

Sony C38 is not a bad mic either.

A popular mod is a Neumann 67FET with inner tube mod. Combines a Neumann cap with tubes.

Milab and Pearl make the sqaure caps
Euhlund Make the triangle caps
Both solve the round cap design problems with another shape

That should take some time to chew.

Once you have an initial choice, go test it somewhere on your voice.

Last edited by elegentdrum; 1st July 2020 at 12:08 AM..
Old 1st July 2020
Great response. Thanks a lot.
Old 1st July 2020
Gear Head

best bang for the buck is find a used akc c414buls. you can get a pair for around $1000.
also gefel um70.
Higher end the gefel um92, neuman u87 (can't go wrong).
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordopia View Post
Something that is airy and a bit dark. My primary uses will be acoustic guitar and voice (operatic choir overdubs, airy falsetto and the like)
"Airy and a bit dark" might describe Neumann TLM193. Although I've never thought about mine in quite those terms, it is a lovely sounding mic, would be good for "operatic vocals", and on many acoustic guitar styles, and generally within budget.TLM170 also very nice but considerably more expensive.

A ribbon that might also fit that description could be the Rode active ribbon. I don't own one, have only heard samples online, but sounds sort of like that.

IMHO. Good luck.
Old 1st July 2020
Quote:
Or do I hold off and save for a U47 or something epic?
Yes. If you don't, you'll be thinking about getting something better in a while. And do you want cardoid or multipattern?

At some point you'll likely want to upgrade from the RNP as well. Mic first for sure.

BTW- what town are you in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleshnyc View Post
best bang for the buck is find a used akc c414buls. you can get a pair for around $1000.
also gefel um70.
Higher end the gefel um92, neuman u87 (can't go wrong).
Yep. I'm a Gefell fan.
Old 1st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
BTW- what town are you in?
I'm in Toronto.

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Any thoughts on preamps to upgrade to?
Old 2nd July 2020
Quote:
I'm in Toronto.

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Any thoughts on preamps to upgrade to?
You can't go wrong with a Great River preamp. How many channels do you think you'll need going forward? That's something you need to consider.

I started off with an RNP- pretty darned good. From there I went with Seventh Circle Audio N72s (that I love), but they've closed down so you'd have to buy used, and they only came as a one-shot single preamp or in their own racks, so they don't fit in a 500-series chassis. So instead I'd go Great River or Avedis if you have the extra cash and you're into a 500-series thing.

Also, for your mic choice, you want to consider whether you want a cardoid or multipattern mic. The multipattern option is very handy.

I quite like the buy-once strategy.
Old 2nd July 2020
Lives for gear
The 193/170/89 are the unhyped neumann's. Safe choices if you find used.
The 89 adds a transformer, and was intended to be an update to the U87. Instead we got brighter music when we went digital.

Ribbons.

Coles 4038 is one end of the spectrum you don't get elsewhere. Not as useful as an AEA 84, or as good on cab details as a 121. But sometimes that mic brings it like nothing else when you want thick.

4038 is my fav mic in the world. In practice it get's use on overheads 70%, Guitar cab 50%, vocals 20%, other 20%.

AEA 44CE might be what you are looking for. Killer mic, but it's big and costs a bit.
Old 2nd July 2020
Lives for gear

Other "safe" mic's include the AT4050/Shure KSM32/SE T2 or 4400.
Chris
Old 2nd July 2020
Lives for gear

Other "safe" mic's include the AT4050/Shure KSM32/SE T2 or 4400.
Chris
📝 Reply