The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a piece of hardware that will allow me to sequence drums
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Looking for a piece of hardware that will allow me to sequence drums

Hi all - first-time poster here, long time lurker.

I'm primarily interested in producing music and I'm currently creating drum patterns in Ableton by clicking in the notes in a midi clip for each Kick, Snare, HH, etc - which I'm finding very clumsy.

I then came across drum machines such as the Roland TR-8 or Elektron Analog Rytm which are excellent, but it's not sensible for me to splash such amounts on hardware like that right now.

What i'm looking for is something like those drum machines, but essentially is a controller that doesn't have any inbuilt sounds, but something I can tap a rhythm into and it will record those midi notes into an ableton midi clip.

Most of the sequencers out there seem designed for Ableton Live performances. They may work in this production way that I have in mind but I have no idea. Could anyone recommend or let me know if things like the following would do what I'm looking for?

Arturia Beatstep Pro?
Akai APC40?

I believe the Ableton Push 1/2 will, but once again that's a bit outside my spend limit at the moment.

Just to reiterate in case I've written this post in a convoluted way - I'm after a piece of hardware that will allow me to tap in drum patterns that will be recorded as Midi notes in Ableton that I can then work with further, essentially just replacing the mouse clicking I'm doing now.

Many thanks in advanced.
Old 1 week ago
If you only want to record directly into Ableton, a simple pad controller should do. For example Korg Nanopad: https://m.thomann.de/de/korg_nanopad...SABEgJCs_D_BwE
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Look for a secondhand Arturia Spark Creative Drum Machine or a Spark LE (light edition) if the budget is tight, you find them around 100 euro's/$.
It comes with software for your pc with all the classics drummodules but you can also use it as a controller in Ableton.
And you can load your own samples in the software too to make your own kits.
It has a sequencer where you can drag and drop the audio and or midi into your daw and a songmode.
You can use the software standalone or as a vst in a daw.
When you buy it secondhand, ask the seller to inform Arturia and create an account and you can download the software.

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear