The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
With an Avantone CV-12 is it normal to feel movement?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
With an Avantone CV-12 is it normal to feel movement?

Hi,

This is my first ever tube mic. I bought it from Zzsounds...

I received it the other day. I haven't tried it yet, I am waiting on an adapter for my mic-stand to arrive, so I can fit the shock mount on....

I have never owned a tube mic before, and one of the things I notice is that I can feel something inside this mic move.

I have a Telefunken M80, and Audix i5, and I've had tons of experience with the SM57 and SM58, both of which I've owned before - but currently do not have...

I have never felt any movement inside a mic before. I tried calling Avantone today.. got voicemail.

Please only answer this question if you for sure know the answer. Do not give a yes, or especially a, "no," just because you think the answer is, "no."
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Open it up and take a look!
The tube could be loose.
Maybe start the process with Zzzounds?
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
Open it up and take a look!
The tube could be loose.
Maybe start the process with Zzzounds?
I took the mic apart. The something in the capsule is rocking back and forth. That is not a good sign. There is no way this is supposed to happen with a mic.

I can not think of any mic, I have ever touched where something inside the capsule is moving around...

I requested an exchange with Zzounds… This is supposed to be a very good mic. I dunno what is up
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Better Mics at $499

The Avantone CV-12 tube mic gets a lot of good reviews, however, for $499 there are better microphones, not necessarily tube mics.
IMO, the $499 Warm Audio WA-14 will get you in an approximate tonal range as the CV-12 but not as "Brittle" in the highs as the Avantone.
Same for the $499 sE Electronics SE4400A or sE Electronics T2, both of which are hand built.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
The Avantone CV-12 tube mic gets a lot of good reviews, however, for $499 there are better microphones, not necessarily tube mics.
IMO, the $499 Warm Audio WA-14 will get you in an approximate tonal range as the CV-12 but not as "Brittle" in the highs as the Avantone.
Same for the $499 sE Electronics SE4400A or sE Electronics T2, both of which are hand built.
Thanks.

I requested an exchange for the same mic, but tomorrow, perhaps I'll call them on the phone and request that it be exchanged for the Warm Audio WA-14 or one of the SE's you suggested

Thank you so much for the help
Old 1 week ago
  #6
CV12 Replacements

Do some research!
Read reviews on the WA-14 and 4400A.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
Do some research!
Read reviews on the WA-14 and 4400A.
Craziness, I heard from Avantone this morning. They want me to send the mic to them. I knew something was wrong...

Anyways, still waiting to hear from Zzounds… the mic is going back to them!
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
Craziness, I heard from Avantone this morning. They want me to send the mic to them. I knew something was wrong...Anyways, still waiting to hear from Zzounds… the mic is going back to them!
Good to see that you are getting some response!
Keep in mind that I am not the "know it all microphone king".
I own 7 sE Mics and their Reflexion Filter and I own a pair of Warm Audio WA-14s and a WA-47.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
Good to see that you are getting some response!
Keep in mind that I am not the "know it all microphone king".
I own 7 sE Mics and their Reflexion Filter and I own a pair of Warm Audio WA-14s and a WA-47.

I appreciate the advice... I spoke to my guy @ Sweetwater, and he confirmed the SE was a good choice. I am not a mic expert either, but I need a descent mic for my little home setup, and $500 is basically my budget for that.

I love the color of the Avantone, I love that Taylor Swift used it, but I just knew like, "the capsule is not supposed to rattle inside."

So, thank you, I am sure the SE will treat me well.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Anything bouncing around inside the headbasket where the capsule lives is bad news; it could collide with the fragile capsule membrane and damage it.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
I own a pair of Warm Audio WA-14s and a WA-47.
What’s your opinion of the Warm 47? PM me if it seems too off-topic.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
What’s your opinion of the Warm 47? PM me if it seems too off-topic.
As it is off-topic for this thread I will PM you.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
Craziness, I heard from Avantone this morning. They want me to send the mic to them. I knew something was wrong...

Anyways, still waiting to hear from Zzounds… the mic is going back to them!
Why not send it directly to Avantone?
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Why not send it directly to Avantone?
Usually, when I get something that is obviously defective, and the defect appears within the first 30 days or so, I just use the return policy, and send it back to the retailer...
Old 4 days ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
Good to see that you are getting some response!
Keep in mind that I am not the "know it all microphone king".
I own 7 sE Mics and their Reflexion Filter and I own a pair of Warm Audio WA-14s and a WA-47.
Thank you again. My SE came this morning, and there is such a huge difference between the box, the shockmount, and the build quality of the microphone.

I am very happy.

I've already shipped the avantone back to zzounds, just waiting on my money back.

Awesome
Old 4 days ago
  #16
Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
Thank you again.
My SE came this morning, and there is such a huge difference between the box, the shockmount, and the build quality of the microphone.
I am very happy.
Awesome
Excellent!
Old 3 days ago
  #17
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
Thank you again. My SE came this morning, and there is such a huge difference between the box, the shockmount, and the build quality of the microphone.

I am very happy.

I've already shipped the avantone back to zzounds, just waiting on my money back.

Awesome
Which sE?
Old 3 days ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Wolf LeProducer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Which sE?

This one; se 4400a

Attached Thumbnails
With an Avantone CV-12 is it normal to feel movement?-20200705_021120.jpg  

Last edited by Wolf LeProducer; 3 days ago at 09:47 AM.. Reason: I'll see you in durango
Old 3 days ago
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Solid!
Old 8 hours ago
  #20
Uh Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
This one; se 4400a
They sent you the upside down version.
Did they charge extra?
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear