The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Balanced or unbalanced patchbay
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Balanced or unbalanced patchbay

Hey,

I know there are some threads out there discussing this, but I've have a specific questions/am still confused on it.

I want to buy a patchbay to hookup my gear. The thing is that gear includes a few guitar pedals. Which are mostly unbalanced.
In this video where this guy discusses this, he says he bought a unbalanced patchbay for it.
Now he has another patchbay for his other gear I think.

But I just want one patchbay, but would also like to be able to hookup my interface inputs/outputs and a couple of synths and outboard stuff.

So what is my best option here.

And if I'd go for balanced, should I still run unbalanced cables to my pedals?

Many Thanks,
Toon
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

you can wire a balanced connector unbalanced, just dont use the "Ring" part..
Most bays I have wired which all used tip, ring, sleeve (Balanced) have some gear that was unbalanced, not the same wiring but in the ball park if you follow me...
You also don't need to use three wire cable for the unbalanced gear.
Old 6 days ago
I use all unbalanced patch bays (4 rack spaces worth) for that very reason, I have balanced and unbalanced gear to integrate. There are actually advantages to going unbalanced and if you are not living close to a transmitter or have no cable runs longer than about 20 feet, you will have no problem.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

balanced all the way! and use un-/balancing amplifiers for anything which is not...
Old 6 days ago
You can make a balanced patch bay work with anything if you build the interconnect cables correctly. This classic Rane applications note explains how.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey y'all thanks for all the replies.

Balanced it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
You can make a balanced patch bay work with anything if you build the interconnect cables correctly. This classic Rane applications note explains how.
But I must say I'm not experienced with wiring my own cables or soldering or anything like that and I didn't understand much from the article. If you don't have any equipment or experience how hard is this to do? And are there cables out there that already work with both?

Thanks
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear